News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sukhbaatar Order

Vatjan

Heres my pin Back Ser #1947

Hi Ron,

Welcome to this Forum :P

Nice S/N you have there, looks like a date... if you see what I mean. Like my pinback (#2006), still the highest S/N I've seen so far. The screwback has a much lower S/N, 185... ;)

Best wishes,

Dolf

Thanks Dolf

I was not aware of this forum, lots of info in it.

Hi Ron,

Welcome to this Forum :P

Nice S/N you have there, looks like a date... if you see what I mean. Like my pinback (#2006), still the highest S/N I've seen so far. The screwback has a much lower S/N, 185... ;)

Best wishes,

Dolf

Welcome to the #1 site on Mongolian awards! Good to see you here!!

What we have, to date, on the SB:

(A 20a/M 4.1) -- Type 1 (screwback ? ~1000 awarded); Low = 158 /High = 788; 1945-71

(A 20b/M 4.2) -- Type 2.1 (pinback - ~700 awarded); Low = 835/High = 2006; 1971-2002

Type 2.2 (unnumbered, coarse manufacture); 2002?

Is there an intermediate form between the last two?? Nasty low quality but numbered? Parallel to other orders??

Welcome to the #1 site on Mongolian awards! Good to see you here!!

What we have, to date, on the SB:

(A 20a/M 4.1) -- Type 1 (screwback ? ~1000 awarded); Low = 158 /High = 788; 1945-71

(A 20b/M 4.2) -- Type 2.1 (pinback - ~700 awarded); Low = 835/High = 2006; 1971-2002

Type 2.2 (unnumbered, coarse manufacture); 2002?

Is there an intermediate form between the last two?? Nasty low quality but numbered? Parallel to other orders??

Ed,

Not all the S-B type 2.2 are unnumbered. But I can't obviously guarantee that those numbered I've seen wasn't "home made" by some dealers...

I know these are currently awarded in Mongolia, have read it in Mongolian online news, so those issued are logically most certainly officially numbered.

Dolf

PS: Email(s) sent...

Shouldn't we call Type 2.2 rather Type 3? I agree it is also a pinback, but seeing that the metal content is definately different I would opt for Type 3. What do you guys think?

The minute I entered this, I started thinking as you do. Make it "Type 3" then! :beer:

Shouldn't we call Type 2.2 rather Type 3? I agree it is also a pinback, but seeing that the metal content is definately different I would opt for Type 3. What do you guys think?

Jan,

I agree 100%.

It's indeed a completely different type. The metal, the enamel (this one is cold enamel, not hot enamel as before) and the period, so definetely a type 3 instead.

Good point mentioning it, buddy!

Dolf

May we now guess:

(A 20a/M 4.1) -- Type 1 (screwback ? ~800 awarded); Low = 158, High = 788; 1945-71

(A 20b/M 4.2) -- Type 2 (pinback - ~1000 awarded); Low = 835, High = 2006; 1971-2002

Type 3.1 (coarse manufacture, numbered??); Low = ??, High = ??; 2002-??

Type 3.2 (coarse manufacture, unnumbered -- or merely unissued?); 2002?

• 3 months later...

One thing it was not mentioned on this thread is, what are these Orders made of. Ed mentioned above that the more recent ones (T3) are made of brass. I also believe that the areas where on the early types there was hot enamel, it has been replaced on this new one by cold enamel and around Sukhbaatar's head it seems to be some kind of plastic blue paint or something like that.

Now, what about the early ones? Gold, silver, hot enamel. And Sukhbaatar's head? Platinium? White gold (as mentioned on Dr. Battushig's book)? And around Sukhbaatar's head?

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

One thing it was not mentioned on this thread is, what are these Orders made of. Ed mentioned above that the more recent ones (T3) are made of brass. I also believe that the areas where on the early types there was hot enamel, it has been replaced on this new one by cold enamel and around Sukhbaatar's head it seems to be some kind of plastic blue paint or something like that.

Now, what about the early ones? Gold, silver, hot enamel. And Sukhbaatar's head? Platinium? White gold (as mentioned on Dr. Battushig's book)? And around Sukhbaatar's head?

Dolf

Check out this thread Dolf... It mentions what all the orders and medals are made of..

JC

new book thread

Check out this thread Dolf... It mentions what all the orders and medals are made of..

JC

new book thread

JC,

It does?! Sorry but I just re-checked and can't read that info systematised in any of the posts!

If you mean in the pics of one of the books, well, I can't read whatever language that is, either Russian or Mongolian :(

And even those symbols for different metals... man, it's been at least a century I studied that in school and as I went into other litterary areas I guess I completely forgot all about that :blush:

Anyway, the idea was to mention it for each award, in these threads dedicated to an individual award, where types, variations, etc are also listed, see what I mean. It's also useful info, I guess.

Thanks anyway,

Dolf

PS: Oh, sorry, just noticed that Jan put the translation of those symbols at the end of Post #13 on that thread! :speechless:

So if I got it right, for the O.S-B, it would be gold, silver, platina (Sukhbaatar's head?) + hot enamel. Just like Soviet Order of Lenin?

And what is that gray area around his head? Gray enamel?

Thanks!

Edited by Dolf

Order of Sukhe Bator

Type 1 (Screwback)

541 1966 Bagramjan, Ivan Hristoforovitsh, Marshal USSR

542 1966 Vasilevskij, Aleksandr Mihailovitsh, Marshal USSR

Hello Gentlemen,

Do we by any chance know who was awarded Nr. 540?

Thanks and best regards,

Albert

Edited by Albert

Hello Gentlemen,

Do we by any chance know who was awarded Nr. 540?

Thanks and best regards,

Albert

Albert,

As far as I know, from the lists I have, such info is (still) unknown.

Dolf

Albert,

As far as I know, from the lists I have, such info is (still) unknown.

Dolf

Thanks Dolf. Still, if this info surfaces, I'd be most interested in finding any info on the awardee. The reason is that I will be adding this O of SB to my collection. Actually, this will be the first Mongolian award in my collection.

Best regards,

Albert

Albert,

Nice :love: Way to go ;)

Check the Forum regularly, as if there's any new info it will be certainly listed here by the data experts :P

Dolf :cheers:

Thanks again, Dolf! Will do :beer:

Albert

Welcome to the forum Albert, that's a great way to start a Mongolian collection :beer::beer:

Jan

Thanks Jan, I certainly won't be able to afford collecting Mongolian awards but would like to own a couple of them :beer:

Edited by Albert