News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A former finnish/German Jaeger ribbon bar

Hi all,

I won this little beauty last week in a auction. Love it because it not so common with the Ehremkreuz on finnish

ribbonbars and probably all the exiting has ow´ners that where once in the Preussian 27th Jaeger Rgt.

First Bravery Medal II class (probably 1918) Then Winter war medal wo swords (service behind the front?) and last Ehrenkreuz (missing swords but I´ve seen that before , maybe they didn´t have any similar swords ?)

Backside is a quite unique fastening :rolleyes:

Christer

• 2 weeks later...

Mooore Finnish Ribbons !! :cheeky:

I thought there is to few Finnish ribbon bars here, as a Swedish collector with limited wallet the collecting of WW 1 German ribbon bars is a almost impossible task :banger:

But still there is Finnish ribbons out there :rolleyes:

So I thought I should show you some from my collection, here we go

1: This I have shown before but it is such a beauty so I post again

Lib Cross 2nd (homefront?)-Lib cross 3rd-lib cross 4th-Com White Rose-Knight White Rose-Com medal 1918-Com med 1940 ws-

medal battle of Tammerfors 1918-Hk (means he was in the Jaeger rgt)-Eagle Order

The height is only half of a ordinarie ribbon bar, some people say that the Finnish navy used these "half-bars" :unsure:

A former 27 Jaeger who fought in Tammerfors and later in 1939-40 and still in service in 1941 at least Colonel or GenMaj

christer

Edited by christerd

And here is another old fighter !

Lib 4th- Lib 4th civil- Com medal 1918 (with rose for bravery)- Com med 1940 wo swords

A brave fighter from 1918 with lib cross 4th and later in 1939 lib cross 4th civil and home front duty ?

Christer

And another typical 1939-44 fighter, this is a vet from two war.

Lib cross 3rd 1941- Lib cross 4th w oakleaf 1941 - Bravery medal 1939- Com med 1940 ws

Fighting in winter war and then again in the fire a year later....

Hopefully he made it through the war, and could add a 1941 Com medal later in teh fifties.

Christer

One problem with Finnish Ribbons bars is that they almost like the Austrians in WW1 use the same ribbon for different classes and even worse different years :o

The problem with the classes is solved by putting devices on the ribbon .... the problem is that time take the silver away and everything looks like gold (brass devices)

Here is a typical ex of what you can see:

Lib Cross 4th ? w oakleaves 1941 - Lib cross 4th 1939 ? - Bravery 2nd 1939 ? - Com med 1940 (swords lost)

christer

Edited by christerd

Here is a soldier from the 1941-44 war from the Coastal Artillery. Finland had a quite large and very good Coastal Artillery during the war wich the Soviet navy realized more then once :whistle:

Bravery medal 2nd 1941- Continuation war Com med - Coastal Art com cross - Blue cross (vet cross from the 60s)

Christer

Edited by christerd

At last a womans bar ! One of my favorites :rolleyes:

She was a member of the military womans org "Lotta Swaerd" The did fantastic work in during all wartime.

This woman was awarded a: Lib cross non fighter 1939- Knight White Rose order-Lotta Svaerd Merit Cross- Com med 1940

Hmm just realized that the third on is Lotta Svaerd Merit Cross! Wow super rare only 400 was awarded. This make the bar even nicer :cheers:

Christer

Edited by christerd

Here a little different ribbon bar also from two war but not the usual ones ....

Here we have: Bravery medal 1st 1918- Com medal 1918 - Battle of Tammerfors 1918- and ... hm could be Eastern Carelia Com cross 1919-1922 or Aunus Com Cross 1918-1922 both for wars fought after the world war 1.

christer

G´day gentlemen !

Thought I would share some more Finnish Ribbon bars with you.

And first I start with a off topic one :blush:

This is not a typical Finnish bar... because it once belonged to a Swedish man fighting on the Finnish side in Winterwar 1939-40. First two Swedish medals and than the Finnish ones. Maybe he was a doc or medic ?

Swedish Civildefence medal (broncesilver or gold)- Swedish Red Cross medal - Liberty Cross 4th 1939 - Com medal 1940 ws

The combo Lib cross/ Com medal is very common seen for a private/NCO/Lt Swedish soldier fighting in winter war.

Christer

Next one is Finnish for sure and a little bit more complicated

Here we have a Finn that hade some sort of behind front duty during the Continuation war 1941-44, could have been a fireman or police maybe ? And later participated in some way in the Olympics 1952 !

Com medal Con war - Cross of Merit Olympic Games (1st,2nd or 3rd class) - Civil Defence medal of Merit - Oinonen Group Com Cross

Gen Maj Woldemar Oinonen was the commander of Group Oinonen wich fought on the Carelia and Ladoga front during 1941-42

So this soldier was attached to that unit in some way.

Christer

Here is a fighter from 1918-1922 wars but without any Liberty CRoss or even a Bravery medal and most strange no Commerative medal for 1918 ? Maybe its a bottom of a 2 row bar and all the others tuff is still out there somewhere?

Here is what we got : War of Kindred Nations Commerative Cross - Battle of Tampere com medal-Eastern Carelia Cross or Aunus Cross - Lappland war com Cross !!

Hmm here we have a fighter from 1918 who was in the fierce battle of Tampere 1918, was along the 9000 Finns whou fought in the different wars between 1918-1922 (Estonia,Aunus,Carelia etc) and still was joining the army in some way in 1940 on the Lapland front.

An interestin thought is , if you put the ribbon bar in post 10 on top of this you get a quite good match ;) Lib cross 1939 nc - Bravery 1st 1918 - Com medal 1918 -Com medal 1940 !

They are bought from the same seller and made exactly the same. But are they a pair? :banger: I will never know....

Christer

Edited by christerd

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I won this little beauty last week in a auction. Love it because it not so common with the Ehremkreuz on finnish

ribbonbars and probably all the exiting has ow´ners that where once in the Preussian 27th Jaeger Rgt.

First Bravery Medal II class (probably 1918) Then Winter war medal wo swords (service behind the front?) and last Ehrenkreuz (missing swords but I´ve seen that before , maybe they didn´t have any similar swords ?)

Backside is a quite unique fastening :rolleyes:

Christer

Hello Christer!

Nice ribbon bars you have!

Just to mention that many Finns who helped/were attached to German Baltic Division (which came to Finland to fight against reds/bolsheviks) during the Liberation war received Ehrenkreutz. So unfortunately all ribbon/medal bars with it are not automatically from JB27 member.

That fastening btw is actually not too rare to find, especially on ribbon bars holding 1-3 ribbons.

Keep up the good work!

-Miikka

PS.

Here you have a "salad bar" for a former JB27 member, later lieutenant-general

...and 3rd. Sorry about the bad pic quality..

Top bar is not from the same recipient as the lower one. I've this former Jäger's original 2nd bar too but it has few post war awarded ribbons which makes it not good for Continuation war display (he originally received those two awards too but VR4 was awarded w/o swords).

Cheers,

Miikka

Great bars!beer.gif

I love to get few extra examples, especially from 1918 period ones but some how haven't found anyangry.gif

I have only two 2 place bars what I can share.

Hi Noor!

Long time no see ;o)

What is the other ribbon on your first pic?

Yes, your second bar has system that is not very common. All I've seen are like yours, something is missing.. Most likely like British cap badges with lugs: pushed through fabric and then secured with pins or one long pin!

Hi Noor!

Long time no see ;o)

What is the other ribbon on your first pic?

Yes, your second bar has system that is not very common. All I've seen are like yours, something is missing.. Most likely like British cap badges with lugs: pushed through fabric and then secured with pins or one long pin!

Hei,

This first ribbon I got with the same ribbon bar from Estonia. No idea what for it is made. Used metal looks pretty cheap and light - I am nt suprised if it is some kind a souvenir style "thing".

Second bar is my favorite! Don't know much about that but I like this heavy weird construction and device on it is with great details.

Need to get now nice longer Vabadussodan period ribbon bar with the pin systemcheeky.gif

All the best,

Timo aka Noor

Edited by Noor

Tere Timo!

First ribbon bar you have in there has VR2 but what is the other ribbon, Estonian award maybe? Interesting combination since one high Finnish award and right next to it foreign.. I mean if the recipient was Finnish!

Yes, the bigger one with Carelian coat of arms/Carelian Guards shoulder device is some sort of souvenir from re-union, parade or similar!

Cheers,

Miikka