News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ORDER OF THE POLAR STAR

Vatjan

There is an interesting polar star Type2 for sale on Ebay right now. It's the second one of these i've seen but I can't remember the serial # of the previous one. Anyway just more to add to the mix.

There is an interesting polar star Type2 for sale on Ebay right now. It's the second one of these i've seen but I can't remember the serial # of the previous one. Anyway just more to add to the mix.

The other one was 1753

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Shall we try another nomenclature version? The versions and numbering here get almost as confusing as the order itself!

Type 1 (Screwback; МОНДВОР mintmark; long oval design with two red banners, ~300 awarded); Low = 701/High = 792; 1936-39

Type 2.1 (Screwback; upward-curved МОНЕТНЫЙ ДВОР mintmark; Uighur; SN at 6 o'clock near bottom); Low = 57/High = 2831; 1940-41

Type 2.2 (Screwback; downward-curved МОНЕТНЫЙ ДВОР mintmark; Uighur; SN directly below screwpost); Low = 1151/High = 2878; 1941-??

Type 2.3 (Screwback; no mintmark; Uighur; SN at 7 o?clock); Low = 1562/High = ????; 1937

Type 2.4 (Screwback; hand-engraved МОНЕТНЫЙ ДВОР mintmark; Uighur; SN at 6 o'clock near bottom); Low = 1753/High = 1776

Type 3.1 (Screwback; Cyrillic; slightly concave reverse; SN at 7 o'clock); Low = 2/High = 6952; 19??-??

Type 3.2 (Screwback; Cyrillic; flat reverse; SN directly below screwpost); Low = 5094/High = 9941; 19??-??

Type 3.3 (Screwback; Cyrillic; flat reverse; SN at 6 o'clock); Low = 10007/High = 15000; 19??-70

Type 4.1 (Pinback, silver); Low = 15015/High = 30409; 1970-2003

Type 4.2 (pinback, bronze); Low = 31835/High = 39785; 2003?

Type 4.3 (pinback, bronze, no serial number)

Corrections, please! IPB Image

Looks good Ed, Although I have my doubts about this one:

Type 2.3 (Screwback; no mintmark; Uighur; SN at 7 o?clock); Low = 1562/High = ????; 1937

Probably a year 37 award = 1947

And I'm always very sceptical about one-shots like this.

Jan

Looks good Ed, Although I have my doubts about this one:

Probably a year 37 award = 1947

And I'm always very sceptical about one-shots like this.

Jan

Agreed, Jan. We have to be careful not to embrace "mistakes" as "varieties". Personally, given how little we know on any documentary basis, I'd rather keep the door (tentatively) open rather than ignore unique oddities like this. If I had to wager what it was, . . . .

Just noticed we'd never illustrated the latest and ugliest in this series, Type 4.2 (OK, we guess at the existence of an unnumbered Type 4.3).

In case the number isn't legible, it is 31874.

• 1 month later...

Here is my Polar Star S/N 635 & 78. They both have upward curved Monetnyi Dvor mintmarks. The interesting thing is that the rivets of these two Polar Stars look different. The SN 635 look normal, but the rivets of S/N 78 look smaller. Have you guys noticed about it before? Thank you in advance!

Nice, thanks for posting. Assume these are both with Mongolian (rather than Cyrillic) legend on obverse.

So far as I know, differences in rivet size do exist and are likely no more than variable manufacturing. With two serial numbers so far apart (the recorded range for this Type 2.1 is 57 to 2831), I'd not be surprised to see such variation.

Thanks again for posting!

:beer:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I've never seen a second one of these, so again I assume :ninja: , this is probably a repaired order or a mix up from the seller, or something else completely mysterious.

I think we should try to avoid the classification of new types and variations on the basis of a single order we've only seen pictures of. We must be aware it exists but keep it in a seperate folder until a second one confirms the existance of the first.

Anyway, that is how I function ever since that */*<m:ljdp<iqp* HLM variation that haunted me for years :angry::D

Just to add my 2 tugruks

Jan

Edited by vatjan

• 3 weeks later...