News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ORDER OF THE POLAR STAR

Vatjan

No one showed this one yet.

I guess no one else is lucky enough to have one of these... :(

Absolutely marvellous, superb, spectacular piece!!! :love::love::love:

One of my favorite Mongolian awards!

Can you please post a pic of the reverse? Thanks.

Dolf

• 4 weeks later...

Closeup of the worthy - obviously a "foreign aid" haircut.

Here is a twin brother who also got polar star order. I guess Mongolian friends following bigger brother footsteps. Russians were applying pictures on documents to increase there value.

Aiaiai, the bad boys are learning quickly. :angry:

Unfortunately the stamp does not seem to be decisive, if there is one that's good, the lack of one does not necessarily mean it's faked. :(

For the older booklets, it seems only very small pictures were used, so an early booklet with large picture, beware!!!

I guess this will be a gut feeling decision. Is the booklet in very good condition, but the pic isn't, or vice versa, beware!!!

Jan

Newly in, a shortened screwpost so easy to scan.

A type 2.1 (?) (A 32.1). The mintmark is straight (enough); I am coming to believe all the mintmark differences here are meaningless.

Number 9. :jumping:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 3 weeks later...

When it was established in 1936, it was third and lowest of the three national orders. It was awarded more freely than the Order of Military Valor and Order of Literacy Valor for the general strengthening of Mongolia. Over time, and certainly by the late 1940s it became the general-distribution lowest order and was freely bestowed and has been awarded some 40,000 times. In terms of numbers of awards, this compares to the Alexander Nevsky (~ 49,000). As to a parallal in terms of function, this is more difficult to decide and others fit more nicely into to the equivalances.

This is an interesting question, for the "Polar Star" (as we call it) does not match up functionally to any easy Soviet parallel. I have to ponder this one. Thoughts??

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I know Gerd, but I see the Red Star as closer to the Order of Military Merit [Combat Service] (a uniquely military award awarded, at times, for long service).

I think the problem is that there just isn't a Soviet parallel of the "Polar Star"? It is its own thing?

I know Gerd, but I see the Red Star as closer to the Order of Military Merit [Combat Service] (a uniquely military award awarded, at times, for long service).

I think the problem is that there just isn't a Soviet parallel of the "Polar Star"? It is its own thing?

I agree, Ed. There is no soviet order, it absolutely corresponds to. I didn?t know, the Military Merit Order was given for LS too, interesting, thanks.

Edited by Gerd Becker

I agree, Ed. There is no soviet order, it absolutely corresponds to. I didn?t know, the Military Merit Order was given for LS too, interesting, thanks.

Yes -- this is, I think, one more thing that makes the "Polar Star" so interesting!

All other awards have close Soviet parallels (but we shouldn't overstate these), but this one doesn't. It was awarded to everyone from Choibalsan to Soviet "friends" in uniform to Mongolian sheep-herders.

When/if we get the award rolls, we may be able to say more about the role of this fascinating award and the changes in this role over time.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

If anyone has a scale handy could they post some weights on these please?

(I have to get a scale...)

Which type are you looking for?

A type 3 weighs about 45g without the screw plate.

A pinback silver type 4 weighs more at around 57g.

There are a lot of weight fluctuations with these things so these are just two I had handy!

Hope that helps.

JC