News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi Police Chest Badge

bmsm

This is a Iraqi Police chest badge and was worn on a leather belt across the body in the chest area on the right side. It is thought to be made in Switzerland by the Huguenin Company even though it is not marked. It is 3.25 in from ray tip to ray tip, weighs 1.45 ounces and has two posts on the reverse for two seperate cotter pins to attach to the belt.

It was used from 1958-1968 and the translation in the inner star is "Iraqi Policemen" and inside the torch is "14th of July".

Bob

Hi Bob,

That is one nice piece. Would this have been worn on day to day duty or just for special events? Sorry for my ignorance; I'm not familiar with Iraq police regalia.

Regards

Brian

Brian,

Don't feel sory for your ignorance on Iraqi Police regalia as we are all learning something different every day. This is a whole new field (Iraqi Militaria) and there is very little information available about the items that is why I try to identify,describe, and have them translated by my friend in Iraq.

My friend in Iraq said he didn't have much information about that period but that the badge was worn mostly every day.

Thank you for posting the comment on the badge and like you said, it is one nice piece.

Bob

Bob - as Brian says - a nice item. You give the weight, does that mean you think it is silver ? If it is , then that would be a lot of silver for all of the Forces - perhaps a special guard ?

Mervyn,

I'm not exactly sure what the badge is made of. I used a magnet on the reverse and it is nonmetallic. The reason I gave the weight is because many of the later Iraqi badges were lightweight and poorly made. This badge has a nice "heft" to it and if it was silver, aren't they usually marked with the silver content? There are no marks of any kind on the reverse and no signs of oxidation on the badge.

Thank you for your comment and like I told Brian, it is a very nice badge.

Bob

• 4 months later...