News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lieutenant Colonel Sharavyn Jamsranjav

RedMaestro

Gentlemen,

I am excited to post the first Mongolian group in my collection! :jumping: It consists of the following:

Documents only:

Medal for the 40th Anniversary of Khalkin Gol

Medal for the 70th Anniversary to Mongolian State

Medal for the 60th Anniversary to Mongolian Army

Medal for 40 Years of the Mongolian People's Republic #14120

Unknown (?)

Document and medal:

Soviet Combat Merit Medal

Scans to come in the following posts!

Before I bought the group, I checked the name of the recipient, Sharavyn Jamsranjav, against the research Bob had for the Suurin Baldan group (thanks, Bob! :cheers:). Sure enough, Jamsranjav is listed as a Lieutenant Colonel on the top of page 13 (see post #43 on the linked thread). As far as I know this is the first Soviet combat merit medal and document awarded to a Mongolian that we have actually seen.

I have managed to figure out what four of the Mongolian documents are from looking around the forum. Could someone please help with the last one? There is also some faint pencil writing on the back of some of the documents, if anyone could please translate. Any other insight is also greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :cheers:

Alex

Edited by RedMaestro

70th Anniversary to Mongolian State and 40 Years of the Mongolian People's Republic #14120 medal documents. Writing on the back is from the 70th Anniversary document (scan edited for better contrast). Any ideas? Thanks!

Edited by RedMaestro

Ed has identified the unknown document as being for the "War Veteran" badge (C45), as it is called in Dr. Battushig's book. There appears to be very little other info. Any help with this award, either more about it or a translation of the document, would be very much appreciated! :cheers:

I am going to try getting this group researched by name in the Soviet archives.

-Alex

Ed has identified the unknown document as being for the "War Veteran" badge (C45), as it is called in Dr. Battushig's book. There appears to be very little other info. Any help with this award, either more about it or a translation of the document, would be very much appreciated! :cheers:

A Mongolian member on another forum ("Muugii1234" from SMAPF) translated the "War Veteran" document as:

"Dear Mister Sh.Jamsranjav,

For your consecutive dedication to the military service and for contribution to develop the defence sector hereby award you ‘’war veteran medal’’ by order—2001 March 01 of Minister of Defence.

Ministry of Defence

2001 march 01

Ulaanbaatar"

I also commented that the badge name, "War Veteran," didn't seem to fit with a 2003 award to a soldier who had no combat experience, to which "Muugii" responded:

"Your assumption might be true because we Mongolians have a custom that every organization and office receives their pensioners after the lunar new year celebration annually, often award them like this medal."

:cheers:

Alex

The proper translation for this medal is "Veteran" of the Mongolian armed Forces. The medal, which has the status of the ministry-level award, is awarded to retired officers of the Mongolian Armed Forces. It has nothing to do with the War veteran badge or medal.

I would also take the liberty and add the translation of the hand-written note on the back of the cover of the Award Card for one of the medals. It says "Bold (person's name) stole it and sold it". Probably written by the veteran or a family member. Sad.

I would also take the liberty and add the translation of the hand-written note on the back of the cover of the Award Card for one of the medals. It says "Bold (person's name) stole it and sold it". Probably written by the veteran or a family member. Sad.

Huh? that doesn;t make sense... why would the person who stole it write it? and how could the person from whom it was stolen write it?

• 4 weeks later...

My interpretation of the written comment is that the recipient had the actual medal stolen and sold by "Bold" but he still had his documents.... hope those were not stolen from him as well.

The amount of theft that is going on over ODM is extremely disturbing....

• 3 years later...

Further research for this group has come up empty, unfortunately. :banger:

Tsend, a belated thank you for the translation! :cheers: Indeed, the stolen medal is sad news.

Alex

Got another Mongolian group with a Soviet Combat medal (well, the document for one, unfortunately not the medal itself); awarded on the same date as yours.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/60269-major-yondon-nanzaddorj-sovietmongolian-cross-over-group-of-documents/