News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Beautiful medal holder frame

Gunjinantiques

I've never seen any of these at all. I'm probably the only member reading this post that has not seen one. I assume the medal was afixed to the individual metal pieces and then that was attached to the bar. In what time period would this have been used?

Regards

Brian

I've never seen any of these at all. I'm probably the only member reading this post that has not seen one. I assume the medal was afixed to the individual metal pieces and then that was attached to the bar. In what time period would this have been used?

Regards

Brian

me neither.... how were the medals attached?

First one of this particular style I've seen. Not a lot of information on medal bars in general, or the bar holders themselves, so hard to say what time period this one is actually from. I think this piece is unusual in the fact that you can move the location of the individual medals for placement, though I don't understand why it would be important.

I also understand they continue to produce holders today, though I don't know how they compare to period made pieces.

As far as attachment goes, pretty much the same as a regular bar, the medal has a "hook" sewn into the top of the ribbon and an "eye" sewn to the reverse and then when placed over the bar, the hook is looped into the eye. I have also seen bars where they sew thread around the medal suspension to aid in holding them in place.

Hope that helps answer that part.

Tim

Here's an example to help show what you're looking at on Japanese bars:

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the photo that certianly makes the answer to my question very clear.

Would the ends of the attachment device cause sctraches on the reverse of the medal? It looks like it might very well cause damage through the wearing of the bar. If this is so then do you encounter such damage on single medals from time to time; this would, in my mind, indicate that the single medal has been a part of a medal group at one time. I don't collect Japanese medals though I keep fighting the temptation as they would go well with my Japanese sword collection. As if a collector ever needed a reason to collect something new!

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

Personally, I haven't seen too many medals (singles) that have damage indicative of this type of wear. I too have wondered, that over time, the medals would exhibit scratches or some type of groove pattern on the reverse; surprisingly, I haven't seen it.

I do see the occasional Rising Sun or Sacred Treasure that have minor enamel damage towards the edges of the rays or paulina leaves that "might" be attributed to such wear. Usually some small chipping of the high points of the enamel tells me it was getting banged up by something else.

The thing about Japanese ODM's, is that most are in near mint condition and even the ones mounted are in excellent condition, other than patina and sometimes soiled ribbons. You have to ask if they are in such pristine shape due to care of the owners/families, or if many are made up recently? There are many bars that have incorrect combinations and medal/ribbon bar references are not that plentiful.

I also do not know just how often a member would be required to wear his "full dress" uniform and mounted medals. As a retired military guy, I rarely worn my medals for "full dress" occasions. So, other than official functions or Enthronement Ceremonies, just what a Japanese soldier/sailor would have worn them for...?

Some interesting pieces though! :cheers:

Tim

Thought I would add another PIC. You can see some scratching here on the Golden Kite (circled) and the center red enamel is missing on the Rising Sun. This is the most extensive "damage" that I have seen on the bars.

Edited by Tim B