News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police LSGC medal qualification period reduced to 20 yrs

This has just been posted on Police Oracle (sorry my computer skills don't stretch to links yet, I did try but for the reason of saving my sanity I gave up):

Qualifying medal age reduced

04 Mar 2010

The Police Medal recognising long service will now be issued to those who have served for 20 years, rather than 22, the Home Office announced this week.

The award now fits in with other emergency services and will be back-dated to January 19, 2010.

Having long campaigned for this, Police Federation Chair Paul McKeever said: “The Federation is delighted that the qualifying age has been reduced to 20 years and we thank the Policing Minister and Home Secretary for listening to us and pursuing the matter.”

I'm not sure if this has been posted on federation site yet. Anyway if you want to take a look at the thread its on Police Oracle, (OFF DUTY) Police Forums, General Police Discussion, Police LSGC medal.

Looks like I won't be waiting until 2012 after all.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi - Jim. Welcome to the Forum - which Force are you with - or, is it a secret ? I think the reduction for length of service is fair - I think for most Countries it is 20.

I think Robin's pair are 'above' mint quality - quite stunning.

Hi - Jim. Welcome to the Forum - which Force are you with - or, is it a secret ? I think the reduction for length of service is fair - I think for most Countries it is 20.

I think Robin's pair are 'above' mint quality - quite stunning.

Thanks Mervyn. I've been lurking fo a while. My force is Avon & Somerset. I agree, brilliant photo of Robin's medals. Craig, that's exactly what my brother who is in TVP said. Cheers, Jim.

My force is Avon & Somerset.

Congratulations on the medal, Jim.

I think only those of us who have actually 'done their time' in this particular job can appreciate what it means...................all the aggro etc.

I can remember one of my ex-CCs saying that his LSCG medal meant more to him than his CBE, QPM etc.

He felt that the LSCG medal was actually earned by his own efforts............the CBE etc came to him because of the efforts of others! :cheeky:

Edited by Robin Lumsden

• 4 months later...

Gents & not forgetting Ladies,

Now that I have found out how to do links, I thought that I would show off my new found skill! Anyway, the below (links) which I found whilst browsing the internet may be of interest; as the qualification period for the Police LSGC being reduced to 20 yrs has now been announced in the London Gazette (which makes it even more official).

Cheers,

Jim

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Justice/public-safety/Police/Circulars/PoliceCircular6

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/59482/pages/12881

Jim - you show-off ! Apart from the links - which are interesting, it's nice to hear from you. Did you ever meet Dwight Atkinson ? He was Ch.Insp. in charge of Met. Firearms - when he retired he was the civvie. for firearms in Devon and Cornwall.I'm Godfather to his son. I was just reading Robin's comments about satisfaction in the 'Job'. I have had four separate careers in my life - advertising, 7 years in the Met.. Herbal medicine (family business), and now in my retirement years - militaria and silver. Out of all of them it is the Police that I remember most and I always wish that I had joined earlier - but, was living abroad. Our new young member 'I love police' has his future in front of him and he hopefully, will have a satisfying career. Best. Merv.

• 5 years later...

Now that officers have to work until their 60, you could potentially achieve 42 years service. That being over double what is currently required to qualify for the long service medal. I wonder whether bars will be issued at 40 years service, along the same lines as that of the military long service medal? 

2 hours ago, The Station Cat said:

Now that officers have to work until their 60, you could potentially achieve 42 years service. That being over double what is currently required to qualify for the long service medal. I wonder whether bars will be issued at 40 years service, along the same lines as that of the military long service medal? 

10 year bars are issued for the special constabulary LSGC medal

16 hours ago, Ian Shepherd said:

10 year bars are issued for the special constabulary LSGC medal

Well there we have it, case and point. Once this situation starts to become a regular occurrence, perhaps the Fed (if they still exist then), could approach the powers that be, with this suggestion.........................

bar.png

Edited by The Station Cat
    Image added.

• 2 years later...
    On 06/04/2016 at 22:24, MetPolice said:

PLSGC-HOLtr-GMIC.png

I can't help but think, that in the future we'll see less and less people staying for the 20 years qualification period for the LSGC.

Despite the potential for people being able to to do 40+ years with the latest pension scheme, thus qualifying for any bar that maybe awarded in the future.

I believe that it'll just be something that people do for a few years in order to put onto their CV's. Especially once having to have a degree to join in the first place takes effect. Whose going to want to work for a degree to earn as a top wack PC 36K a year on shifts when they could earn potentially double that in the private sector working sociable hours, having done a few years in the police? 

I doubt we'll have 'police' in thirty years' time, rather Private Law Enforcement Contractors. The upper echelons have made it quite clear that they don't want 'careerists'. The 'job truly is ****ed' as my ex-Met mate would say.

Edited by Tony Farrell

15 hours ago, Tony Farrell said:

I doubt we'll have 'police' in thirty years' time, rather Private Law Enforcement Contractors. The upper echelons have made it quite clear that they don't want 'careerists'. The 'job truly is ****ed' as my ex-Met mate would say.

There's always G4S, I suppose.......................................:jumping: