News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

COMMISIONER'S COMMENDATIONS

We have had some interesting posts recently on Metroplolitan Police Medals - and it is obvious that with Tom and PikeMedals that we have experts on the subject. However, we mustn't overlook that medals are only part of the structure in place to reward deserving police officers.

The Commissioner of the Met. Police is the highest ranking Police officer in Great Britain - followed by Her Majesty's Inspector of Constabulary and then in third place, the Deputy Commissioner of the Met. Police. Chief Constables are on a rank level with Met. Asst. Commissioners. The Commissioner wears the badges of rank for a full general and has under his command some 56000 police and civilian staff.

I am not sure when Commendations were started by the Met. - I would think in Victorian days. The practise being that in Police Orders - the first section contains the names of Officers who are to receive a Commendation. Higher Commendations are in Bold type. There is a lower level - District Commendations - that was when there were four districts in the Met. Both of these Commendations went into the officer's records. Above these is the Queen's Commendation - a small silver oakleaf - worn without backing above the left pocket of the tunic.

Most County Police have followed this practise and award their own Chief Constables Commendation.

I was fortunate to be given three Comm. Commendations and two District - just happened to be in the right place when something happened. However, we didn't even get the certificate that is awarded today. Perhaps Tom and some of our other old Police members can give a little more background - in all honesty I've never thought of it until now, and didn't even include them in my book - however, it is an important part of our history and many thousands of police officers' have received this mention.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

We have had some interesting posts recently on Metroplolitan Police Medals - and it is obvious that with Tom and PikeMedals that we have experts on the subject. However, we mustn't overlook that medals are only part of the structure in place to reward deserving police officers.

The Commisioner of the Met. Police is the highest ranking Police officer in Great Britain - followed by Her Majesty's Inspector of Constabulary and then in third place, the Deputy Commisioner of the Met. Police. Chief Constables are on a rank level with Met. Asst. Commisioners. The Commisioner wears the badges of rank for a full general and has under his command some 56000 police and civilian staff.

I am not sure when Commendations were started by the Met. - I would think in Victorian days. The practise being that in Police Orders - the first section contains the names of Officers who are to receive a Commendation. Higher Commendations are in Bold type. There is a lower level - District Commendations - that was when there were four districts in the Met. Both of these Commendations went into the officer's records. Above these is the Queen's Commendation - a small silver oakleaf - worn without backing above the left pocket of the tunic.

Most County Police have followed this practise and award their own Chief Constables Commendation.

I was fortunate to be given three Comm. Commendations and two District - just happened to be in the right place when something happened. However, we didn't even get the certificate that is awarded today. Perhaps Tom and some of our other old Police members can give a little more background - in all honesty I've never thought of it until now, and didn't even include them in my book - however, it is an important part of our history and many thousands of police officers' have received this mention.

As regards the Hong Kong/Royal Hong Hong Police prior to 1997 - Commendations by H.E The Governor were denoted by the award of a Red Whistle lanyard,worn over the left shoulder together with a signed certificate from H.E.,Comendations by The Commissioner of Police were denoted by the award of a Whistle Lanyard in Force Colours (plaited black,red and yellow),ditto a signed certificate was given.All published in Force Orders with appropriate publicity.The insignia,where possible,were presented personally by HE/CP at a small ceremony at Government House or Police HQ as appropriate. I presume these awards and procedures were continued post 1997,with HE being replaced by The Chief Executive. - 1314