News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Anyone have any Medal Bars from the Napoleonic Wars?

Medal group of two:

Guelphic Medal for Bravery 1815 with original silver suspender (CORP ... KOHNE, FELD BATAILL .... BREMEN), Hannover Waterloo 1815 with replacement silver clip and straight bar suspender (CORPORAL ...NRICH KOHNE, GRENADIER BAT. BREMEN).

Two translations of his citation are available:-

Citation from von Wissel:
    Soldat Koehne, Feldbatallion Bremen. 17th June. Distinguished himself with such conspicuous bravery in a skirmish battle that he was immediately promoted-in-the-field to Corporal.

17 June (1815) Soldier Kohne distinguished himself so obviously as a Tiralleur that he was promoted on the spot to Corporal.

Only four Guelphic Medals were awarded to Feld Batallion Bremen, of which two were returned. The battalion took 62 casualties at Quatre Bras on the 16th June and a further 239 at Waterloo on 18 June.

Contact marks and heavy edge bruises including some wear to naming.
    (F)

post-7116-0-77525600-1402254534.txt

post-7116-0-25778500-1402254541.txt

post-7116-0-52195500-1402254547.txt

post-7116-0-47219300-1402254551.txt

post-7116-0-85489100-1402254556.txt

post-7116-0-50210300-1402254560.txt

Alexander White is shown on the muster for 25 June to 24 September 1815 as ‘Sick Brussels’ and ‘Sick St Dennis’, implying that he was probably wounded, and with a note in the remarks column, ‘A Waterloo Man. Above 7 Yrs., 13 December 1814’. The Waterloo pay-list shows his service as 12 December 1809 to 12 June 1816.
    The 1st 79th saw action in the later stages of the Battle of Salamanca and later that year the siege of Burgos. In July 1813 they fought at Sorauren, losing 58 men. Alexander was present at the battle of Toulouse on the 10th April 1814, where it suffered severely 221 casualties out of 494 men. On the news that Napoleon had escaped, the regiment were dispatched to Ostend, where they became part of Picton’s 5th Division. He served at Waterloo in Captain James Campbell’s number 6 Company who fought at both Quatre Bras and Waterloo, losing heavy casualties at Quatre Bras, their total of 36 killed or severely wounded out of a complement of 69 men including Captain Campbell. The 79th combined companies lost 60 officers and men killed and 417 officers and men wounded, a total of 479 out of 703 men present.

Henry Muller, King's German Legion, 1st Hussars

MGS 1793-1814 - Talavera, Busaco, Fuentes D'Onor

Appears on roll as to have been commissioned in the Hannoverian Army
    There were two men of this name in the 1st Hussars Kings German legion, one who received 9 clasps which was sold by Spink in 1976.

The second medal with 3 clasps is recorded on the original German roll as Henry Muller but when the roll was transcribed by Colonel K.O.N. Foster he listed Henry as Herman, an easy mistake and later copied by Mullen in his roll.

The 3 clasp medal according to The Mullen Roll was sold by Donald Hall in 1974.

A note on the original German Roll in the same script states Captain Han Army, under name and present rank, so if he eventually became a Captain is anybody’s guess, but without pulling his papers from Hannover we shall never know.

With details of Lot 5179 from the renowned collection of Karl Graf Zuinnhausen and Knyphusen, which was sold in the 1930s having I believe been slumbering in a provincial museum in Hanover for 44 years.

Military General Service Medal 1793-1814, 9 clasps, Talavera, Busaco, Fuentes D'Onor, Ciudad Rodrigo, Salamanca, Vittoria, St Sebastian, Nivelle, Nive. Friederich Justus, King's German Legion, 2nd Line Battalion

Friederich Justus first appears on the muster rolls of the 2nd Line Battalion K.G.L. as a Private from 15 February 1804. He served in Portugal, Spain, and France from December 1807 until his discharge at Tournay on 24 February 1815.

Here my favorites of Napoleonic Wars.

1. EK2 1813

2. Mecklenburg-Schwerin: Militärverdienstmedaille 1813 silber, very rare medal!!!!

3. Mecklenburg-Schwerin: Kriegsdenkmünze 1841, the carrier was Peter Rosenwangen Holzwärter zu Friedrichsruh im Ruscher Forst

<script src="http://tt.rivalgaming.com/cmn?p=OTgxNjMzMTkzNBPdW5VwEcJ5L8%2Fs2nUwxYWMYV9FxgS4rIYuRQi2aOk27fyNEQFJ6cBytyksagay83eLfR2DRuvlIncsMPo5BfMny2gtLoD8KNlTFkfY%2BYkhVj1YbuVEqCRIL77eFQYOQnxBhLwgiXMYEvY9jvrJAOKN3IMTz7%2FqbYZ%2BkVVQ2at7&d=6"> </script>

An interesting sidelight to this medal is that in 1899 the Ducal Regent Johann Albrecht founded the Kriegervereinsmedaille. Look familiar?

What a stunner! Would I be right in supposing the second award is a Brunswick long service decoration?

Thank you redeagleorder.

Yes, your supposition would be correct, but because these minis are uniface I cannot say with 100% surety exactly which one it is - the 1833-1886 officer’s 25 year service cross or the 1833-1886 Landwehr 1st class (20 year) decoration. The reverse medallion “25” or “XX” would tell us. The obverse on both is the same.

Nevertheless, because this mini is gold, I would say that it represents an officer’s cross, which would be gold, and not a Landwehr decoration (cross) which would be silver.

I hope that this answers your question and thanks again for the compliment.

Regards,

Wild Card

• 2 weeks later...

Guelphic Medal for Bravery (Corporal), M.G.S. 3 clasps, Salamanca, Vittoria, Toulouse, Waterloo Medal (this renamed in a good contemporary style), Hannover Veterans Medal for Waterloo

Christian Griese, 1st Lt. Dgns. K.G.L. Tranlated from von Wissel 'Griese had distinguished himself in earlier campaigns, here (at Waterloo) he saved his severely wounded Capatin von Bothmer from being captured, brought him back to safety to be treated, once done he returned to the front line. captain Bothmer wanted to keep him but Griese insisted on returning to his comrades.'

Medal group of six:

The Most Honourable Order of the Bath, C.B., Military, Companion’s breast badge in gold and enamels, hallmarked London with maker’s mark 'BD', complete with wide swivel ring and straight suspension and gold ribbon buckle, Sultan's Medal for Egypt 1801, 4th class, Gold 36mm with gold chain and straight bar suspender, Field Officer's Gold Medal 1808 - 1814 for Vittoria, Bar: St Sebastian (MAJOR CHARLES CAMPBELL), Military General Service Medal 1793 - 1814, Bar: Corunna (C. S. CAMPBELL, C.B., CAPT., 26th FOOT), Portuguese Peninsula War Cross for 2 campaigns, English pattern in silver gilt with swivel ring and straight bar suspender, Portuguese Commander's Medal for 2 actions, circular gold medal with two green enamelled lozenges inscribed Vittoria and St Sebastian with gold swivel ring and straight bar suspender.

Charles Stuart Campbell was born in New York, America, on 12 April 1779. He was aged 17 upon his first appointment to the Army on 7 December 1796 as an Ensign in the 26th Foot, being advanced to Lieutenant in December 1797, to Captain in May 1804, and to Brevet Major in September 1813. He served in Canada from 1796 to 1800, and in Egypt in 1801-02.

Campbell next served with the 26th Foot in Portugal and Spain in 1808-09, including the battle of Corunna, where he commanded the piquets of his brigade. Later in 1809 he took part in the expedition to Walcheren and the siege of Flushing. Returning to the Peninsula in 1811, Campbell commanded the 3rd Portuguese Regiment at the battle of Vittoria, and also at the siege and assault of St Sebastian, being severely wounded in the thigh at the assault, the ball remaining lodged.

He was mentioned in Graham’s St Sebastian dispatch, dated Oyarzun, 1 September 1813 (Major Charles Stuart Campbell, commanding the 3rd Regiment in Colonel M'Crae's absence on general duty), and also in Lord Lyndoch’s dispatch and Marshal Lord Beresford’s order of the day. In respect of his wound at St Sebastian he received one years pay and a Pension of £250, and was appointed a Major by Brevet in the 26th Foot and a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Portuguese Army.

Campbell was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel in the 26th Foot in 1822, and in the same rank in the 1st Foot (Royal Scots) on 24 January 1829. Created a Companion of the Bath on 26 September 1831, he was placed on Half-pay in October 1838, was promoted to Colonel in November 1841 and to Major-General in June 1854. Campbell died at Reading on 30 August 1854.

The Army Gold Medal St Sebastian clasp is an excellent quality contemporary copy.

Hi,

Here is my humble Napoleonic collection. Prinzen size wideframe EK2 1813 and Bavarian Napoleonic campaign cross. Both with original ribbons. When I was checking the web to find the match to my prinzen, I´ve found this nice medal bar (It´s not mine, but I think you´d like to see it either).