News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1st. WW BOXED M.C.

Following Paddywhack's post on his MC and it's condition - this is the one I mentioned I was waiting for. The box has protected the patina and it will not be touched. Haven't had a chance to do any research - if anyone could find his unit that would be great. Prob. British - but, could be Sth. African. The note gives his name, but looks as if it may have been cut and taken an 's' off the end.

Yes, very nice Mervyn. I only have the box, never got round to buying a cross to put in it.

I do have a miniature group with the MC on a Spinks bar though, no idea who the recipient was unfortunately.

Tony

The only 'James Barnes' who received the MC during the Great War was Lieut. James Barnes, Intelligence Corps, London Gazette 4 June 1917. There is no MC recipient with the name 'James Barne.' Gunner 1

I think one of the nice things about this medal and it's box , is that it is in original untouched condition. So often they get messed about with. Not ' trying to teach how to suck eggs ' - but perhaps for non-collectors looking, this medal is sterling silver and was first created in 1916. They did not add hallmarks on the reverse until after 1937.

Mervyn: As far as I know the Military Cross has never been hallmarked on the reverse. The reverse of the MC was plain until 1938 when they began to engrave the date of award at the bottom of the lower arm of the cross. Regards, Gunner 1