News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hand-colourized Imperial portraits

Here I'd like to post several hand-colourized portraits of the Mannschaften of the Imperial army. I don't have a lot of such CDVs but here are some.

No.1 Gefreiter of the Infanterie-Regiment von Lützow (2.Rheinisches) Nr. 25 (IX.Armee Korps) in M1888 Dunkelblau Waffenrock. Blue shoulder straps with red "25" on them, gilt buttons.

No.2 Soldat of the Infanterie-Regiment von Stülpnagel (5.Brandenburgisches) Nr.48 (III.Armee Korps) in M1888 Dunkelblau Waffenrock. Red shoulder straps with yellow "48" on them, gilt buttons. Portrait was made in 1910 at the Cüstrin photo atelier (the town where the regiment was based). Please note Schützenshnur der 1.Klasse.

No.3 Soldat of the 3.Niederschlesisches Infanterie-Regt. Nr.50 (V.Armee Korps) in M1888 Dunkelblau Waffenrock and M1867 Eigetumsstück Feldmütze with M1897 Reichskokarde as well as Prussian Landeskokarde. Yellow shoulder straps with red "50" on them, gilt buttons. Portrait was made in 1904. Again please note the Schützenshnur der 1.Klasse.

No.4 Gefreiter in M1888 Dunkelblau Waffenrock.

I have a question regarding this portrait: could you please identify the regiment? Some regiment from XXI.Armee Korps (according to green shoulder straps)?

Hi,

Straubing is a city in the east of Bavaria - maybe it's a Jäger (Kgl. Bayer. 1. Jäger-Bataillon König) ???

No.1 Gefreiter of the Infanterie-Regiment von Lützow (2.Rheinisches) Nr. 25

.. the picture is before 1910 (1888 - 1910 Rastatt, after 1910 Aachen).

Best regards, cheers.gif

Jens

Thank you for the useful remarks, Jens! :beer:

But as for the identification of the Portrait No.4 as a Bavarian Jäger - all battalions wore a green Waffenrock with red-piped Swedish cuffs except for Saxonians who wore a dark green Waffenrock with Saxonian pattern cuffs. But on this CDV one can clearly see Dunkelblau Waffenrock.

How could you explain this mismatching? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Freiwillige

Freiwillige,

Of course, Jens is totally correct about the photo being of a Jäger from the 1.bay.Jäger Batl. Unlike Prussian and other Jägers, Bavarian Jägers wore blue tunics with green collars and cuffs. Their green shoulder straps had yellow numbers.

Chip

• 5 months later...

No.6. Soldier from Infanterie-Regiment von Luetzow (1.Rheinisches) Nr.25 (IX.Armeekorps). Blue shoulder straps with red "25" on them, gilt buttons. Portrait was made before 1910 at the Rastatt photo atelier (the town where the regiment was based until 1910).  

No.7. XIX century CDV of a Gefreiter from 2. Kurhessisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.82 (XI.Armeekorps). Red shoulder straps with yellow "82" on them, gilt buttons. Portrait was made at the Goettingen photo atelier (the town where the regiment was based).

No.8. Soldier from Infanterie-Regiment Landgraf Friedrich I von Hessen-Cassel (1.Kurhessisches) Nr.81 (XVIII.Armeekorps).  Red shoulder straps with yellow "81" on them, gilt buttons. Portrait was made at the Frankfurt am Main photo atelier (the town where the regiment was based).

No.14. Uhlan from the Koeniglich Preussisches Garde-Ulanen-Regiment Nr.2. According to the dedication on the back his name was Schroeder. Tombstone on the monument to the KIA members of Garde-Ulanen-Regiment Nr.2 states there were two Schroeders from the 3rd Schwadron killed near Ypres in 1914.

No.17. I need your help with this XIX century CDV. Here's Jaeger from the Grossherzoglich Mecklenburgisches Jaeger-Bataillon Nr.14 (XV.Armeekorps) based in Colmar i.E.

BUT: according to the sources I use Mannschaften from that Bataillon had light green Swedish cuffs with white Litzen. This Jaeger has Brandenburg cuffs with vertical panel piped in red. How could it be?

Another question: am I right assuming that he wears M1867 Schirmmuetze with the single M1842 national cockade?