News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals for Musicians

TacHel

Medal "Major-General Alexander Alexandrov"

Instituted on 2 August 2005 by ministerial Order 317. Awarded to members of the armed forces, civilian personnel of the Armed Forces, veterans of the Armed Forces who are in the reserves or retired, as well as other citizens of the Russian Federation and foreign citizens for great personal contribution to the creation and promotion of Russian patriotic military music and the development of military music culture.

(Note: this is one of the rarest medals in the MoD inventory, I still can't believe I found one. If you find one for yourself, don't hesitate, you might wait a long time before finding another one!)

Award document for the above medal.

(Ministerial emblem on the cover, ministry plainly identified on the inside, things to look for when checking for authenticity and to ensure it is in fact an official award)

Edited by TacHel

Commemorative Breast Badge "100 Years of Major-General Boris Alexandrov" (Alexander's son)

Instituted on 6 October 2005 by ministerial Order 425. Awarded to military and civilian personnel of the Armed Forces for great personal contributions to the development of musical culture in the Armed Forces, as well as to others, for assistance in the tasks entrusted to the Military Band Service of the Armed Forces of Russia.

Commemorative Breast Badge "Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov"

Instituted on 31 January 2008 by ministerial Order 40. Awarded to military and civilian personnel of the Military Band Service of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, for great personal contribution to the development of military music and who have served in (worked for) the Armed Forces for at least 10 years. May also be awarded to other citizens of Russia for assistance in the tasks assigned to the Military Band Service of the Armed Forces.

Note: I will replace this small picture with a detailed scan as soon as I receive this latest acquisition.

Edited by TacHel

Russian Federation military honor guard band members wear the "officer pattern" cockade with wreath (NCOs usually wear the cockade without wreath), cap eagle (NCOs usually don't) and honor guard breast badge for bandsmen.

Edited by TacHel

• 1 year later...

Major-General Alexander Alexandrov's contribution to Soviet military music was remarkable. He composed the music to the Soviet (now Russian) National Anthem and the music to "Sacred War" which is without a doubt the most iconic of Soviet WW2 songs.

Link to a video recreating the general's font line work with his musical ensemble. The actor actually looks like him! They are singing Sacred War.

N.B. If you see T-62s intermixed with the Tiger tanks... Er... Don't worry, propably an optical illusion... :whistle:

Edited by TacHel