News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schinkelform B Type

Gordon

Thats the type I missed out on due to hesitation. A dealer was selling loads of fakes at a military fair at Tilbury in Essex a few years ago, amongst a few fake EKs is one of these. I had only just bought your new book a few weeks before hand and recalled seeing the picture of one of these, which up until then I had been totally ignorant of their existance.

The dealer only wanted ?30 for it. The round three and the ugly shape of it stick in my mind well. I had a good look at it, all the time thinking is this real or anothe r one of his fakes. I put it down hesitated and all was lost, another guy had been watching me and immediately bought it.

On getting home and looking in your book I could have wept !!!

Nick

Edited by Chairman

Jim,

Although I think these are just about the ugliest EKs around, they are extremely rare and you have got yourself a very fine example. Congratulations.

Thank you Sir. It seems to match the example in your book to a T.

I appreciate your comments.

Nick,

Very sorry to hear you missed on that one. Truly, I lucked into this one in a dealer oversight. Just the right time to look I guess.

Edited by Panzerman

Nick,

Don't beat yourself up about it, this type is also faked ( in both First Class and Second Class) and in the circumstances you describe,amongst a whole load of dodgy bits, the one you saw may well have been a duff one.

One good thing to look for on these ( and also on the regular round 3 types) is the dimpled finish under the paint. Jim's is absolutely textbook.

Gordon,

I've heard both yea and nea on the "flat" top 3 versions of this cross. Do you think the flat tops are good?? It's my understanding the Detlev thinks they are good. I simply have no idea, and went with this version just to be safe. I enjoy collecting the variations of the EK's, and if in fact the flat tops are good, I'd like to add one.

Would you happen to have a photo of one of these?

Thanks much for your time,

Jim

Guest EKman

Brother Jim, glad to join you here. Thanks for the invite and the info. That is a lovely type B you have there, I covet ninja.gif As always, I look forward to someday seeing your fine collection in person :food-smiley-004:

Jim,

Lovely piece. I see the ring is not soldered,is this always the case on this particular version ?

Hi Jon,

I believe they were soldered when issued. This may have come off a medal bar (my belief) as the ring is also somewhat smaller than the norm.

When I recieved it, the ribbon was separate like when in a packet. It now resides next to it's brother, an A type.