News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi guys,

This should be a simple one....

I recently purchased a medal bar (pictured is the ribbon portion) but am wondering if the 2nd medal that came with the bar is the original. I know that sometimes tailors would put a "well this is close enough" ribbon on a bar for the medal.

From my searches on the net I have seen several variations of the Flanders cross and Kyfhauserbund (sp?) medal but this is a little differnt then the ones I have seen. The ribbons are, from left to right, Black, thin white, black, white, red, thin white, black.

The medal bar came out of an old collection and was supposedly not tampered with. Thanks in advance. I'll reveal the 2nd medal after I hear from you guys (I dont want to give influence any opinions...)

Gary B

Edited by Gary B

Guest Rick Research

The medal is large round and bronze with a sailor waving a flag, or something like that. Haven't got one to show and can't remember the last time I saw one. Your ribbon identification is correct.

I've got a 1924 group photo with a Zahlmeister-Aspirant wearing this (it usually had a BIG bar like "Seekrieg" or something, as his apparently did), but too tiny to see details.

Sailor in a Donald Duck hat fgrasping a flag comes to mind.

Thanks to the both of you. This is the ribbon. The medal that came with the bar was the Hindenburg Next of Kin award, but it just did not look correct.

So I take it that the medal is rare since Rick has not seen many?

Gary B

The medal is large round and bronze with a sailor waving a flag, or something like that. Haven't got one to show and can't remember the last time I saw one. Your ribbon identification is correct.

I've got a 1924 group photo with a Zahlmeister-Aspirant wearing this (it usually had a BIG bar like "Seekrieg" or something, as his apparently did), but too tiny to see details.

Sailor in a Donald Duck hat fgrasping a flag comes to mind.

I forgot.... the medal is not too rare, but not very often seen, thats right...the battle clasps are much more rare than the medal itself. I have some on big naval medal bars and some on ribbon bars. In germany they are still good to find, I have just sold this one a week ago...

Heiko

Dear Heiko,

Thanks so much for the picture of the medal. Do you know what it is awarded for? and a stupid question, what is the translation of denkmunze?? (I could not find it in my translator)

By the way, you have a wonderful and quite focused collection which I saw pictured on the forum.

Gary B

Hello again, to complete this here is a medal bar, a ribbon bar and the batte clasp

Heiko

Edited by Gary B

Hi Gary,

thanks for your compliments on my collection :blush: but there is still much missing !!!

The medal was not really awarded... it is a medal from a Vets organization (Bund deutscher Marinevereine) just like the Kyffh?usermedal or the Ehrenlegion. If you were a member of this organization or any navy club and you could show in your military papers that you have served during ww1 in a navy unit at the front you could ask for the medal. If you was present in the battle of the skagerrak (the only really sea battle during ww1) you could get the clasp.

Denkm?nze means as much as "rememberance medal" or something like that...

Here is a picture of a award document

Heiko

Dear Heiko,

Thanks so much for the picture of the medal. Do you know what it is awarded for? and a stupid question, what is the translation of denkmunze?? (I could not find it in my translator)

By the way, you have a wonderful and quite focused collection which I saw pictured on the forum.

Gary B

Gary,

Nice bar! Denkm?nze is probably best translated as commemorative medal.

David