News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Czechoslovak decorations and militaria

Hi all,

I've decided to show you some items from my small collection of Czechoslovak decorations and militaria, primarily from years 1918-1948. Most of them are the most common pieces, but I hope you enjoy it.

Ladis.

Czechoslovak war cross 1918-19 (Ceskoslovensky valecny kriz 1918-19)

Highest Czechoslovak decoration in WWI. Awarded for bravery in war for independent Czechoslovakia:

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Czechoslovak revolutionary medal (Ceskoslovenska revolucni medaile)

Commemorative / merit decoration awarded to military volunteers and members of home resistance.

Commemorative badge for Czechoslovak volunteers from yers 1918-1919 (Pametni odznak pro ceskoslovenske dobrovolniky z let 1918-1919)

Decoration for volunteers from Czechoslovak – Hungarian war 1918-19 (estabilished in 1938).

• 3 months later...

Hello Ladis,

I only have a few Czech awards, mostly the WW1 Victory Medals, but I'll post a couple others here for show as well.

Here's my War Cross with the bronze "splay of Linden Leaves" attachment. I understand this denoted a unit citation at the Army level.

Tim

I noticed in post #12, that you show a WWII Medal for Gallantry with two gilt Linden Leave attachments.

I think the WWI devices were only in bronze however, I have noticed an example with gilt leaves and wondered if it was the wrong attachment placed on this example, or if maybe these came in different colors denoting different levels of award similar to the palm/star attachments we see on the French and Belgian Croix de Guerre. Do you know for sure?

I personally think it was only bronze for the WWI pieces and this one is wrong, but the size appears correct to the medal.unsure.gif

Tim beer.gif

Edited by Tim B

Here's my Revolutionary Medal.

It's really a nice, solid strike and makes me think there are more than one maker for these, as some appear weaker in details. I still need to find some examples with the various ribbon attachments (unit citations, regiment #'s, and action/battle bars).

Tim

It's really a nice, solid strike and makes me think there are more than one maker for these, as some appear weaker in details. I still need to find some examples with the various ribbon attachments (unit citations, regiment #'s, and action/battle bars).

Tim

Hello Tim,

Some of this information was posted in another forum thread last year but is of relevance here as well.

Some details on the Revolution Cross / Medal and its varieties and myriad of ribbon devices is contained in this handy Czech medals reference. It is in Czech and has numerous pictures and details that would assist the collector.

More details on the Revolution Cross / Medal to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Tim

Hello Tim and others,

As everybody serving in Czech legions was eligible for this Cross, many variants were produced. The medal was designed by the French sculptor Antoine Bourdel, and it is his initials 'AB' which can be found on the reverse of some varieties. The Czech medal book referred to previously lists 4 main varieties of which an example is shown. These varieties are:

a. Type 1 – Bronze cross 1918-19, French production, stamped AB.

b. Type 2 – Light bronze 1920-38, with signature.

c. Type 3 – Dark bronze 1920-38, with signature.

d. Type 4 – Bronze 1920-38, without signature.

There are also more varieties indicated but these are unlisted with hollow pieces being described as quite common. The are quite a number of ribbon devices for this medal. The number on the ribbon is the number of the regiment and/or Czech Legion the participant served in. The shields with numbers relate to the following regiments-legions and locations:

a. Russian Legion - 1-12

b. French Legion - 21-24

c. Italian Legion - 31-35 and 39

In addition to the regimental numbers there were a number of named shields and bars that indicated action participation as follows:

a. ČD (Česká Družina or Czech Brigade)

b. L.E. (Légion Étrangère or Foreign Legion).

c. Russian Legion - ZBOROV, BACHMAČ, SIBIŘ.

d. French Legion - ALSACE, ARGONNE, PERONNE.

e. Italian Legion - DOSS' ALTO, PIAVE.

d. Those in Serbia - S or SERBIE.

There are numerous reproductions of these bars with original ones considered quite rare. What complicates matters is that some original manufacturers have also produced recent versions as well so it is quite difficult to differentiate repro from original. I have a couple of Czech groups that have the Revolution Cross with ribbon devices. When I can track them down I shall post pics later.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

RobW, is that book for sale somewhere?

Hello Herr General,

No it is not. I obtained my copy from a collector friend in Prague a few years ago. I think I may have a second copy which I shall look for when I return to Sydney in a week.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks, I'm growing an interest in Czech medals because I have found a group of Czech RAF veterans willing to visit us and our memorial service in November. See www.leudalmonument.nl

Included in the group are highranking medalwearers incl a General and the widow of General Siska.

Hi Rob,

Yes, good information on the Revolutionary Medal and I'll have to keep my eye open for that Czech reference.cheers.gif

Here's another example of the various attachments to this medal. Note the single Linden Leaf. I assume the device was awarded under similar merits as it was on the War Cross.

• For a unit citation in an Army Order, a spray of linden leaves
    • For a unit citation in a Divisional Order, a single linden leaf
    • For an individual citation in an Army Order, a silver star
    • For an individual citation in a Divisional Order a bronze star.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would bump this back with another 1918-1919 Volunteer Medal.

Really would like to see more of the War Cross and Revolutionary Medals with different attachments if they are out there?

Regards,

Tim