News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Signum Laudis for generals

bovec1313

Hi Cimbineus

... Are you 100% certain it is bakelite? Is the reverse heavy or light? ... ... In the 1920's & 30's was widely used in consumer goods. ...

Hi Yankee,

No, I am not 100% certain about it yet, just thinking aloud. I am sorry, but I cannot answer the "heavy or light" question. What do you mean by that?

To my best knowledge, bakelite already was used earlier than the '20s. Already befor the Great War there were buttons and handles for different small articles (like combs and hair brushes, for example) made of bakelite, as far as I know.

Regards,

cimbineus

Bakelite is easy to identify. If you dip it in very hot water it will emit a very distinctive smell. Porcelan will not. It will not harm the bakelite at all. Though to be cautious it may affect the glue that holds it together. So be careful.

Hi Yankee,

No, I am not 100% certain about it yet, just thinking aloud. I am sorry, but I cannot answer the "heavy or light" question. What do you mean by that?

To my best knowledge, bakelite already was used earlier than the '20s. Already befor the Great War there were buttons and handles for different small articles (like combs and hair brushes, for example) made of bakelite, as far as I know.

Regards,

cimbineus

Hi Cimbineus

What I meant to say does the reverse white medallion feel heavy in your hand. If the material feels light in weight then it very well could be synthetic. If enamel or unglazed porcelain then it would feel more like a large coin in weight. I noticed some traces of green dye which there must have been some sort of reaction. Wish I had been a better student in chemistry. Thanks

Sincerely

Yankee

• 4 weeks later...