News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oberst Vogt - information wanted

Hi GMIC members,

I would like to obtain service record information on Oberst Vogt.

I visited his grandson in Germany last month and obtained the following info. from the ahnentafel and family :

Hans August Paul Friedrich VOGT

Born 12.8.1905 Juterbog (Berlin)

Died 9.8 1975 Hannover

Buried Hauptfriedhof Braunschweig.

Rank Oberst (Heer, World War 2)

Captured in Russia and interned as a POW. Returned to Germany in 1955 .

Awards received EK1 (1940)

The family gifted me his EK1 (see attachment)

on the back of this EK is scratched :

" Hptm VOGT,

S.Art.Abt.616

Wittes 31.5.40 "

researches by me indicate that Schwere Artillerie Abteilung 616 was probably one of the heavy artillery units pounding the French and British at Dunkirk during the evacuation. (Wittes is about 30 kms from Dunkirk and Calais)Also s.Art.Abt616 was later tranferred to Russia and in January 1943 it was destroyed at Stalingrad.

Any help or assistance in learning any further details about Oberst Vogt will be gratefully received !!

best regards,Stew

PS Oberst Hans Vogt's father was Generalmajor Ludwig Vogt who was a field artillery officer during WW1.

Edited by Stew

Hello Stew:

As Paul already pointed out service records if in existence would normally be made available to family by the Wast.

Here is what the 1944/45 Rangliste des Deutschen Heeres 1944/45 gives as tentative data.(most entries give only the last names):

Vogt, peace-time unit II./Art.Rgt.52, date of rank Obst.Lt.1.Apr.1942, promoted to Oberst 1.Feb.1944.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Stew:

As Paul already pointed out service records if in existence would normally be made available to family by the Wast.

Here is what the 1944/45 Rangliste des Deutschen Heeres 1944/45 gives as tentative data.(most entries give only the last names):

Vogt, peace-time unit II./Art.Rgt.52, date of rank Obst.Lt.1.Apr.1942, promoted to Oberst 1.Feb.1944.

Bernhard H. Holst

thanks for the information Paul and Bernhard

• 6 months later...

thanks for the information Paul and Bernhard

I have made enquiries with Deutsches Rotes Kreuz who had POW details of Oberst Vogt . The returnee card confirmed that Hans Vogt returned to Germany from Soviet captivity on December 14 1955.

The Red Cross letter detailed periods of captivity in six specified POW camps in Georgia,Ukraine and Siberia. I guess these were labour camps.

Of special interest to me was the period between May 1945 to September 1945 when Han Vogt was at "Elsterhorst /Hoyerswerda." These are also described in the Red Cross letter as "Soviet POW camps"

I understand from my subsequent searches that Elsterhorst /Hoyerswerda is near Dresden (then Soviet controlled E Germany) ,.

My question is about Elsterhorst /Hoyerswerda - was this a "Soviet POW camp" during the period May 1945 to September 1945?

If it was Soviet controlled - I guess the German soldiers interned in this camp in 1945 could count on a career in the Soviet labour camps?

Thanks.

Edited by Stew

• 1 year later...

I have now received a 2 page service record from Deutsche Dienstelle on Oberst Vogt , but there was no information on his medals and decorations. I enquired and was told i should contact Bundesarchiv - Militärarchiv,Wiesentalstr.Freiburg for this information.

Has anyone experience with this organisation? Any comments would be welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

The US archives in College Park Maryland has the service records of many German WWII officers. You could write to them, attention modern military records, and if they have it you can get a copy, there is a fee.

I got his record. The file is fairly long, typical of officers of his rank, but I took photos of about a dozen of the most relevant pages, mainly his full curriculum vitae (Dienstlaufbahn) and his last few officer evaluation reports (Beurteilungen).

The last entry in his Dienstlaufbahn says that he was appointed commander of Volks-Artillerie-Korps 404 on 1 March 1945. I suppose that's where he was when captured.

These are the decorations listed in his Beurteilungen:

• Iron Cross 2nd Class on 17 May 1940
    • Iron Cross 1st Class on 31 May 1940
    • General Assault Badge in December 1940
    • Wound Badge in Black on 28 October 1941
    • Crimea Shield in December 1942

Only German decorations are usually listed in these Beurteilungen. However, from 1 January 1941 to the invasion of the Soviet Union in June, he was an instructor at the Romanian Artillery School, and from 22 June to 15 August 1941 he was liaison officer to several Romanian Army units in operations in Dobruja and the drive to Odessa. He then took command of Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 190 until being wounded on 28 October. From 1 November 1942 to 19 July 1943, he commanded II. Abt./Art.-Regt. 42 in the Crimea. So it is possible that he also received one or more Romanian decorations.

Hi Dave, thank you very much for your assistance in my research on Oberst Hans Vogt.

Very helpful!!!

I attach a copy of the report from WASt - Deutsche Dienstelle , and the Deutsches Rotes Kreus . The details that you obtained fill in a lot of spaces. Could I ask you to scan the details that you copied and send them to stewart@ covenant.co.nz

img-3111635-0001.pdf