News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Gents,

i hope i am posting this letter in the right forum.

This is a first for me.

I have just obtained a "huge" folder of documents,Photo's,etc that was put together by an officer and crewmen of the German Hilfskreuzer "Thor".

In amongst the dozens of items in the folder was this letter from a captured merchant seaman.

It was written in a POW camp in Tokyo.Now this does make sense in way because on her second cruise the HK "Thor" operated in Far-Eastern waters and was destroyed by fire in Yokohama.

I can only presume that Alan Morris served on one of the British Freighters that was captured or sunk by the Thor,was captured himself by the raider and handed over to Japanese authorities when the Thor reached Yokohama?

I am still puzzled as to how this letter ended up as part of this Thor grouping.

Perhaps Alan Morris befriended some of his captors on the Thor and they met postwar?

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Here is a list of the "British" ships that were sunk or captured by the Thor during her second cruise.

I wonder if Alan Morris was a crewmember of one of these ships?

Anyone know where i could find out?

Wellpark,Freighter,sunk 30-3-42.

Willesden,Freighter,sunk 1-4-42.

Kirkpool,Freighter,sunk 10-4-42.

Nankin,Freighter,captured 10-5-42.

Indus,Freighter,sunk 20-7-42.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W