News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What do you know about Bavarian MVOs and MVKs

Thank you very much. Do you also know the period of the production of this type?

I think Weiss did them throughout entire war. At the end there was a slightly different version produced with the belt buckle fully enameled.

• 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello Gents! That's my MVK3XK from bavarian medal bar. It looks a little bit uncommon in details. I think it's a production of the late period of WWI. What do you think about the maker of this one?

Thanks in advance :beer:

Edited by Sergio

Hello

@Sergio:

Your MVK shown in post #173-179 is a piece produced after 1918. It has no details form one of the official 5 Bavarian makers (Deschler, Hemmerle, Lauer, Leser and Weiss). It should be from the 1920/30ies, but these types are often found (also on genuine bars). So stil a nice item.

@dond:

It´s the same with your MVK 2nd class with crown and swords. Also a piece after 1918. The "L" is very specific. Unfortunatelly I can´t tell you the maker, but Godet, Steinhauer & Lück, Sedlaczek used to produced them for veteran´s demand after 1918.

Also a beautiful piece!

Kind regars

Rudi

Thanks Rudi. I think the quality speaks back to the Imperial times compared to most of the junk that was pumped out post war. I do agree though that it is post war so the maker must have been one of the house jewelers imo. I will have to look in the catalogs when I get time.

Hello

@Sergio:

Your MVK shown in post #173-179 is a piece produced after 1918. It has no details form one of the official 5 Bavarian makers (Deschler, Hemmerle, Lauer, Leser and Weiss). It should be from the 1920/30ies, but these types are often found (also on genuine bars). So stil a nice item.

Kind regars

Rudi

Hallo Rudi!

Thank you very much for your reply :beer:

However I still can't imagine that such "ugly" piece is not a result of hurried production of the end of War for mass awarding, but post-WWI production for sale to veterans at their expense :speechless1:

Best regards

Sergei.

Edited by Sergio

However I still can't imagine that such "ugly" piece is not a result of hurried production of the end of War for mass awarding, but post-WWI production for sale to veterans at their expense :speechless1:

Alternately, there was still a modicum of control and inspection when you sell to the army. After the war when you are selling direct to the wearer this control falls away... its like retail today... many people are willing to accept bad quality if the price is right.

Some of the worst quality EK2s are 1920s-30s pieces, made cheap and sold cheap. Lets not forget... many, many, many vets did not have a lot to spend in that period....

Alternately, there was still a modicum of control and inspection when you sell to the army. After the war when you are selling direct to the wearer this control falls away... its like retail today... many people are willing to accept bad quality if the price is right.

Some of the worst quality EK2s are 1920s-30s pieces, made cheap and sold cheap. Lets not forget... many, many, many vets did not have a lot to spend in that period....

Thank you Chris :beer:

• 1 month later...

Just to add something new to this thread which i don't believe has been mentioned before. A bavarian MVK 2nd class with swords and crown mounted above it on the ribbon, not attached to the medal itself. Is this a modified normal crown or something else? (By the way, was it normal for an MVK or any other military merit medal equivalent to the EK to be mounted before, because the majority seen are behind it?)

e8a5a357f7f4d3d2977bb2ed913be14b.jpg

23488beedaa158cf043242378838ce18.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add something new to this thread which i don't believe has been mentioned before. A bavarian MVK 2nd class with swords and crown mounted above it on the ribbon, not attached to the medal itself. Is this a modified normal crown or something else? (By the way, was it normal for an MVK or any other military merit medal equivalent to the EK to be mounted before, because the majority seen are behind it?)

Hello redeagleorder;

You have a couple of questions here....

Yes, I think it was a modified normal crown MVK2XK award. I am guessing that the medals are attached by hooks underneath. The hooks were originally put there to allow for easy removal to clean the awards and ribbon, but I believe they were also intended to allow the owner to wear it as a ribbon bar. The crown was attached to the ribbon to indicate that it was a mere MVK, but the "higher" order with the crown.

Yes, it is normal for Bavarians to put their merit awards in front of the EK2 (at least before 1934). The Bavarians liked to show a little more independence as the next largest kingdom after Prussia and this was one, of many, way they exhibited it.

A great little bar. Show the back too please.