News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Holy Grail - Is This Authentic?

Dieter3

The Real Deal?

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f86939446

If it is, I can't believe a seller would offer such crappy pictures!!:speechless:

very interesting post, thanks dieter! I always found it hard to search through the yahoo auctions, not knowing any japanese. Is there a trick to set this page to english??

best regards

a l e x

Authentic medal with replacement ribbon.

I certainly don't doubt that, but how do you know? The hook doesn't look right, but could just that be the replacement? Rich, do you know if that is an original case, and is that a push button release mechanism??

very interesting post, thanks dieter! I always found it hard to search through the yahoo auctions, not knowing any japanese. Is there a trick to set this page to english??

best regards

a l e x

I haven't tried it, but how about Babelfish?? I know just enough to navigate me where I need to go!! I was cruising through pages actually and saw that one, didn't think anything of it, went to next page, then said, WHOA! BACK UP!! Closer inspection and just about pee'd my pants! :lol:

Oh My God!

How much is THAT going for?

Isn't that Saigos' campaign; the last great Samurai war?

It was at 150,000 yen, but I think that seller has a reserve price, who knows what it it though. What do you guys wager, 500,000+ yen?? At least??? This is the Taiwan expedition BTW.

Yes, Saigo as the commander. From what i have read, this was the last great "Samurai" campaign with many officers and warriors going into battle wearing traditional armour alongside newly trained "european" style troops.

Dieter, babelfish is what I used so far. but I still wasn't able to create an account to bid.

by the way did you looked at the other auction of the same seller::speechless1:

http://ch.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpage5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp%2Fjp%2Fauction%2Fe99160740&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=%C3%9Cbersetzen

Alex:

I did now!! Damn! Where do these people come up with this stuff?? I wonder if the same original owner was that of the 1874 and that Constitutional medal!

I gotcha, didn't catch it the first time. Registering with Babelfish could be a problem!! I'm just fortunate enough to have access to a native speaker that helps me out when needed. 2014.gif

Paul:

What gives it away that it is a replacement ribbon?? (That is, besides the auction actually indicating it....) What were the original boxes like??

Everyone:

Whose loaning me the ¥500,000??? My wife already told me "NO", so I'm counting on you'ze guys.....laugh.gif

Edited by Dieter3

Looks like it hit the 1,000,000 yen price level, but it appears that there were no winners? I guess the reserve price was not met, or perhaps I'm not understanding things clearly. Hmmm. Well, that is a bit pricey for something with a replacement ribbon.

Looks like it hit the 1,000,000 yen price level, but it appears that there were no winners? I guess the reserve price was not met, or perhaps I'm not understanding things clearly. Hmmm. Well, that is a bit pricey for something with a replacement ribbon.

The highest bid placed was for 390,000 ($4,300). His reserve price is 1,000,000 ($11,100) yen which is not realistic for something with a replacement ribbon. Even for one in its original box etc that would still be too much (unless these have nearly doubled in price in the past five years).

The RESERVE was 1,000,000??? WOW. Thanks for that clarification. I see that seller's other auction, the Constitutional Promulgation medal must not have met reserve either as it appears to be a restarted auction. Must have a steep reserve on that one too!

• 2 weeks later...