News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Flea Market Bits and Pieces

PKeating

Funnily enough, these ribbon bars are getting hard to find. The WW1 Italian War Medal mounted in the French style is interesting, as is the painted tin WW1 Croix de Guerre ribbon. Not bad for €5.00 in a flea market where I almost died of boredom.

Very nice finds!

Like the ribbon bars, I got similar ones from France dealer in Dublinbfair. Like them. First top one is the second similar metal bar what I have seen now (I haven't seen much now as wellcheeky.gif )

Whats the mini? Oh, why we do not have nice flea markets to pick up similar nice stuffangry.gif .

All the best,

Timo aka Noor

Chris, the British Star-like medal is Nigerian: For Bravery. It seems to have been struck on WW2 star dies with a different centre. I'll be posting in the appropriate section in due course. The minis are the WW1 French Victory Medal and the Voluntary Combattants Cross. I like the way some veteran, when it broke, sewed it onto the ribbon...upside-down.

The Wound Ribbon is very nice, isn't it? I also like the WW1 CdG with the tiny Palm.

The painted/printed ribbon bars are not often seen, Noor. However, I do know of a little box containing a few of them, which I think I will buy. Dublin is, sadly, not the best of places for militaria. I grew up in Upper Mount Street in the 1960s and often go back as I still have family there. I've only seen two militaria dealers there in recent years.

That's the great thing about our hobby, isn't it? Things don't have to be top end or hyper-expensive to give you a thrill when you find them and to give others pleasure.

P

• 4 weeks later...

Chris, the British Star-like medal is Nigerian: For Bravery. It seems to have been struck on WW2 star dies with a different centre. I'll be posting in the appropriate section in due course. The minis are the WW1 French Victory Medal and the Voluntary Combattants Cross. I like the way some veteran, when it broke, sewed it onto the ribbon...upside-down.

The Wound Ribbon is very nice, isn't it? I also like the WW1 CdG with the tiny Palm.

The painted/printed ribbon bars are not often seen, Noor. However, I do know of a little box containing a few of them, which I think I will buy. Dublin is, sadly, not the best of places for militaria. I grew up in Upper Mount Street in the 1960s and often go back as I still have family there. I've only seen two militaria dealers there in recent years.

That's the great thing about our hobby, isn't it? Things don't have to be top end or hyper-expensive to give you a thrill when you find them and to give others pleasure.

P

sadly PK both those dealers are gone!!!!! and yup not much round just 2 fairs and one guy selling coins and few medals in Georges arcade is about it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to learn but thanks for the heads-up. At least I know what to expect now. Mind you, I sometimes wonder if Ireland's lack of dealers in general means that there is more stuff in the possession of families, waiting to be discovered.

PK