News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I need help with this Chines badge / medal

Bill Dienna

I just acquired a small grouping of PRC medals and badges, shown in the first photo.

I am presuming that the badge with the enameled Chinese flag behind the soldier is a fake. This is because, knowing little about Chinese material except what I have found here and on one or two other sites, I have just developed the belief that the Chinese awards that look like they were created from Hershey chocolate bars, such as this badge, are copies.

But I have no real knowledge, as I say.

Even assuming it's a fake, can anyone tell me what it is a fake of? In other words, what was an original example of the badge meant to recognize. Since it is dated "1950" on the reverse I'm guessing it had something to do with the Korean War.

The other thing, and I don't know if my photos will reflect this, is that the badge seems very nicely struck with crisp details.

Thank you, guys, for any help!

• 1 month later...

Bill,

It might not be a fake, but possibly a veteran's replacement, a repaired/altered original or just a local made edition or a veteran's 'DIY' award. Pure speculation on my part but I've learned to assume nothing with some national awards.

Most of the first major Chinese formations that entered the war in October-November 1950 were stationed in Manchuria and NE China and so many soldiers were eligible for that campaign medal as they had fought there in the civil war, so this medal is frequently associated with Korean War groups.

I wouldn't break it out from the rest of the group and would consider it another example of "if only these things could talk"!

Edited by K.Ingraham

Gentlemen...

My thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

I have been able to determine, through the kind assistance of other collectors, that the badge that I posted was indeed a rather poor copy of a legitimate award. It has since been dispatched to a landfill.