News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MOZAMBIQUE

heusy68

Military Leadership Medal

Medal instituted by Decree 47/2017 of August 23.

Medal awarded to active, reserve, or retired military personnel and leaders who have rendered outstanding services to the military institution and the Nation.

I did find this Decree here http://www.portaldogoverno.gov.mz/por/Governo/Legislacao/Boletins-da-Republica/Boletins-da-Republica-2017 . Boletin n.132. But it have nothing about medals :(

3.jpg

diploma2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello Gentleman,

And well done Ilja, these medals are recently instituted and are (and I believe), will be ever rare on market.

I was able to get the Military Leadership 3 Classes medals from an auction in South Africa, however they came with incorrect ribbon.That's why the 2 first photo present the medal WITHOUT ribbon, because they are INCORRECT on the medal I own.

The Medal posted by Ilja, show what is the Correct ribbon.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Mozambique Medal Liderança Militar 3 Classes obverse.jpg

Mozambique Medal Liderança Militar 3 Classes reverse.jpg

From the same suite of awards from Mozambique, Medalha Tempo de Serviço (I bet a Long Service Award).

No idea if this medal is a multi class award, as the Military Leadership was

But sure, ribbon is a UN ribbon, so a ribbon put on the medal by the auctioneer, for it to be sold easily.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Mozambique Medal Tempo de Serviço obverse.jpg

Mozambique Medal Tempo de Serviço with INCORRECT UN ribbon obverse.jpg

Mozambique Medal Tempo de Serviço with INCORRECT UN ribbon reverse.jpg

Mozambique Medal Tempo de Serviço reverse.jpg

And the last of the 3 : Mozambique Medalha Condiçao Militar.

Again on a UN ribbon (that was 99 % chance likely put on medal by the auctioneer, because a medal with ribbon sells more easily than a medal without).

These 3 different medals are what they are, maybe there are more medals, but these 5 (3 types), are the ones I was able to get.

They are made of silvered and gilded metal.

If Ilja can find some more information, it would be great. 

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Mozambique Medal Condiçao Militar with INCORRECT UN ribbon obverse.jpg

Mozambique Medal Condiçao Militar obverse.jpg

Mozambique Medal Condiçao Militar with INCORRECT UN ribbon reverse.jpg

Mozambique Medal Condiçao Militar reverse.jpg

• 4 months later...

There is a new Mozambique Medal for which we got picture evidence 

Medal for Arts & Letters : Medalha de Arte e Letras.

This medal was awarded to the Music Band : Massukus.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Mozambique Medal of Merit of Arts & Letters Medalha de Merito Arte e Letras.jpg

Mozambique Medal of Arts & Letters to Banda Muiscal Massukus 25 June 2015.png

• 4 months later...

Sadly, unusual ribbons are very difficult to source, especially for newer awards.  OMSA - the Orders & Medals Society of America - has a 'ribbon bank' where, I think, samples of various ribbons can be obtained, but I have no idea how or what kind of resources they have.

The other route might be to identify the company who made the award and approach them directly [by mail].  They won't likely sell you an award but may suggest how you can get ribbons. 

How's your Portuguese? ;)

Peter

• 1 year later...

Hello Gentlemen,

It seems we now have a photo of another Order of Mozambique.

It's Order of Samora Machel 2nd Class ( 2° Grau ), and this Order was awarded on 21 September 2020 to a missionary Father Filipe Couto.

https://consolataamerica.org/pt/padre-filipe-couto-recebe-a-honra-samora-machel/ 

Due to the name of the Order, Samora Machel, the First President of Mozambique, I can bet that this is a high ranking Order.

Any further clarification would be welcome.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Mozambique Order Samora Machel.jpeg

Edited by heusy68

By random, I found this link, that shows, in 2019, the list of Orders & Medals, that were awarded by President of Mozambique Filipe Nyusi

https://www.presidencia.gov.mz/por/Actualidade/Presidente-da-Republica-distingue-persanalidades-nacionais 

And just in case, that link would one day...., not be working, I did a screen capture.

Ordem Amizade & Paz ( Order of Friendship & Peace ), which is the highest Order of Mozambique, is not included on that list, but as this Order, is for Head of State, I can reasonable assume that it is still in use, same for the Title of Hero Nacional de Mozambique.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Mozambique List of Order & Medal 2019.png

And the list on 25 September 2020

https://www.sapo.pt/noticias/atualidade/pr-mocambicano-atribui-medalhas-a-1-529_5f6b1b64142abe1b87729970 

In year 2020, there is mention of some ( only 2 ), Order Samora Machel, awarded.

President Filipe Nyusi is also a recipient of Order Samora machel.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Capture d’écran 2021-05-30 à 15.04.57.png

Here is a very interesting reference about an award of Medal Nachingwea, to Mrs Maria Ester Gonçalves Alves Machado Ribeiro. It seems that this medal ( which is of Type 1 : ie the medal still exist, as it was awarded in 2019, but all recent Mozambique Awards seems to have the same National Color Rectangular Ribbon : Green White Black Yellow White Red, hold on a metallic backplate ). So I can only assume that this beautifull and never seen before Medal of Nachingwea (on soviet style pentagonal ribbon  ), is not any more awarded on that shape.

The Nachingwea Medal, which is a Medal for Merit related to Cultural Sphere seems to have been awarded by Resoluçao 13/89 on 22 September 1989, to Mrs Machado Ribeiro, but the medal was only presented her on September 1993.

We can assume, that from 2011 onwards, at least the ribbon had been altered.

http://www.julio-mrr.net/new/ihatiti.html# 

You go to click on the link, then go bottom of page, then 9 x time you scroll on SEGUINTE ( NEXT in english ), to reach the page with awards photo.

Among others recipient are

Alberto Chissano 1982

Malangatana Ngwenya 1984 (others reference refer 16 February 1995 for the date of his award).

José Craveirinha 1985

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Mozambique Medal Nachingwea awarded 21 Aug 1993.gif

Mozambique Medal Nachingwea to Mrs Maria ester Gonçalves Alves Machado Ribeiro in 1993.jpeg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Getlemen,

This the first actual photo, taht I have been able to see, from a Medal Bagamoyo. We can assume that prior to 2011, ribbon & suspension type was different.

This medal was awarded to an Association which works in Maputo.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Mozambique Medal Bagamoyo.jpeg

Mozambique Medal Bagamoyo Award Document.jpeg

Edited by heusy68

It is a bit sad there is no better close up photo, but here is Mozambique Medalha de Merito Ciencia e Tecnologia : Medal for Merit in Science & Technology

https://fo-fo.facebook.com/MCTESTP/posts/1396623813874394/ 

This Medal has been awarded to Mrs Alsácia Atanásio Nhacumbe ( for her achievement in vetenirary science ), by Mozambique Minister for Science & Technology, & Superior Teaching Gabriel Salimo, on 30 September 2020.

Likely the award should have been announced on 25 September 2020, but presented on 30 September. ( ie 25 September refers to 25 September 1964 the start of their Liberation War ).

I look for long time, but there is no better photo that seems available.

Maybe Ilja could help.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Mozambique Medal Science & Technology.jpeg

Mozambique Science & Technology Medal.png

Edited by heusy68

Here is a link to the Mozambique Medalha de Merito Ambiente ( Medal for the Environment )

https://pa-in.facebook.com/USAIDMozambique/posts/4571074289601818/ 

The Medalha de Merito Ambiente, was awarded on 25 September 2020 to Dr Carlos Pereira, for his work, and the work of his team agency for Protection of Natural Reserve, incl Niassa Nacional Reserve, Gorongosa National Park & Grande Limpopo National Park, incl reintroduction of some animal species into the Parks.

Any better photo would be welcome.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Mozambique Medal Merito Ambiente 1.png

Mozambique Medal Merito Ambiente 2.png

Edited by heusy68

• 4 weeks later...
    • 9 months later...