News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Research ww1 victory medal 2nd.lt H.R.Farrar

Hi all,

I have in my possesion a WW1 Victory Medal to 2.lt H.R.Farrar, it is in fair condition. I have been trying to find information regarding both 2.lt Farrar and also the value of this item. I have had some joy involving the research of 2.nd Lt Farrar but i would not know where to start with the valuing of the item. Any feedback would be much appreciated smile.gif

Here is what I have found so far

Second Lieutenant, 2nd Battalion, Manchester Regiment. 5th Division. Killed in action near Dranoutre 24 December 1914. Aged 27. Formerly with the Leicestershire Regiment. Son of The Rev Herbert William and Florence Margaret Farrar of The Rectory, Lewes. Born at South Shields. Buried in Dranoutre Military Cemetery

Herbert Ronald Farrar, born July 1887. He went up to Queen's College, Cambridge, and took his B.A in 1910. While at Cambridge he served in the Officers Training Corps, in which he held the rank of Sergeant. From 1910 to 1914 he was a master in Preparatory Schools at Ripple, Kent and Windlesham, Sussex. In the spring of 1914 he travelleD in the South of France, Egypt and Italy. At outbreak of war he joined the Public Schools Battalion and a month afterwards he was gazetted to 2nd Leiutenant of the 3rd Reserve Battalion Leicestershire Regiment. He went to France 27th October, being attached to the 2nd Battalion Mancherter Regimnt. He fell in action on 24th December 1914, being buried at Dranoutre near Ypres

Barcombe War Memorial - H R Farrar

Thank you all, do you have any idea how much this item would fetch at auction? i dont have the mic unfortunately but im sure i don have the star around. any idea on single/pair value?

The MIC (Medal Index Card) is the index card I've shown - I just did'nt word my post very well, what I should have said was "do you have scans of the MIC, here they are".

I don't know about price, I just just see medals offered for sale & decide whether I'm interested enough to buy & whether I reckon the price asked is "ok".

Somebody here should come up with a suggestion though.

The missing medals are the British War Medal & The 1914 Star, entries on the MIC shows that both were issued, the Star in 1919, the Britsh War Medal & Victory Medal in 1921, obviously the single Victory Medal is worth far less than the full trio of awards.

The only medal I have to a Manchester Regiment man is a 1914-15 Star to a Pte of the 1st Bn, who also died on 24/12/14, that cost me 12 1/2 pence (but then that was in about 1969).

Nice medal, nice little piece of history.

Edited by leigh kitchen