News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Going to Paris

TacHel

I'll be in Paris with my wife for a few days in a couple of weeks when we return from Strasbourg. I intend on stopping at Maison Platte but was wondering if some of you could recommend a few other shops? I already know about the ones near the Louvres (too expensive!) and the ones in the Royal Palace Gardens.

I want to buy an 1861 China Expedition medal, matter of fact, I'm going to Paris for that very reason (but don't let my wife know! She thinks we're going there to please her... HA!) :whistle:

Every time I receive the Platte catalog and they have a few MOMP "Barre" examples for sale, they're gone by the time I phone! It's driving me nuts! This is the ONLY medal I'm missing to finish my French frame and seal the sucker!

I'd settle for models from other makers but since my 2nd Empire Italy and Mexican medals are both MOMP, I figured I'd go for the complete set...

Any help would be appreciated!

Frank, I'm afraid that the shops to which you refer - Marie Stuart, or the small place at the junction of rue Molière and rue de Richelieu, the outrageously-priced place in the basement of les Antiquaires du Louvre etc - really are the only possibilities in Paris these days, except for one chap who has a stall/boutique hidden away in the Clignancourt market on Sundays and Mondays. He usually has some nice 19th century medals. There are a couple of dealers in the provinces, like Robert Seniso, who have nice things and can sometimes find you something special for which you are searching. Remember this: prices of French stuff are going up now and as someone once told me, it is often a good idea to pay tomorrow's price to have something very nice today. The alternative is that someone in Paris keeps an eye out for a nice example - original or, at least, very old ribbon included - and gets in touch when it crops up.

PK

Edited by PKeating

I don't know if it's one of the places already mentioned, but try Stella at 67 Quai de la Tournelle.

He normally has a good selection and the prices are not that bad.

He has a website, but it only shows a fraction of his stuff:

Stella

/Michael

I don't know if it's one of the places already mentioned, but try Stella at 67 Quai de la Tournelle.

He normally has a good selection and the prices are not that bad.

He has a website, but it only shows a fraction of his stuff:

Stella

/Michael

You might also like to visit Jean-Christopne PALTHEY 9 rue Moncey 75009 PARIS who is a reputable dealer with usually some very good stock. If you want to call him before you come, his telephone is 00 33 1 49 95 09 98. He is located near Montmartre and keeps a shop.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Paris.

Regards

Veteran

just came back from paris ans this shop

http://www.techmili.com/Magasins/Lepoilu/Le_poilu.htm

was good!picked up a Tunisian order and the guy threw in a nice french bar with the deal!and he was cool with haggling over price also hes RIGHT by the metro!!!!

Edited by paddywhack