News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all

I was shown a metal badge, possibly a cap or head-dress insignia, with the capital letters C I H. The Prince of Wales's crest is above the three letters.

Was there a unit called CENTRAL INDIA HORSE ? If not, what unit would have worn such a badge or used the letters ?

Every bit of information will be gratefully received

Veteran

Hello Veteran!

There certainly was a regiment called The Central India Horse, an 1921 amalgamation of the 38th and the 39th King George's Own Central India Horse respectively. Both these predecessor units were known as "Prince of Wales's Own" 1906-1910, which might have generated a badge combining the Prince of Wales's feathers and the "CIH". The regiment became a part of the Indian army in 1947.

/Jonas

Hello Veteran!

There certainly was a regiment called The Central India Horse, an 1921 amalgamation of the 38th and the 39th King George's Own Central India Horse respectively. Both these predecessor units were known as "Prince of Wales's Own" 1906-1910, which might have generated a badge combining the Prince of Wales's feathers and the "CIH". The regiment became a part of the Indian army in 1947.

/Jonas

Yes, the POW Central India Horse had the plumes on crossed lances as a headdress badge and collar dogs from 1906. On amalgamation it was numbered and called the "21st King George's Own Central India Horse" from 1922-1937 and I believe kept the POW plumes until 1937, when they were replaced with the "CIH" cipher over crossed lances.

With the exception of a half dozen short lived units [40th to 46th Cavalry] raised for WWI, it was the junior regiment of Indian cavalry, as had been the 38th and 39th pre-amalgamation. As Jonas says, it is now a unit of the Indian Armoured Corps and given the attitude of the old regiments of the Rayj, especially the cavalry, its just possible that they still carry the POW plumes somewhere on their kit.

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

• 7 months later...
    • 4 years later...
    • 4 weeks later...

And, I bet money, still has some reference to the Prince of Wales on its kit or in its regalia.  If IA units can get away with carrying battle honours from the Mutiny, I'm sure the traditions of the CIH are alive as well.

And welcome to the GMIC, Anand!  Its always nice to have more representation from the sub-continent as well as Europe and North America, especially on topics like this one.

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

• 1 year later...

Upon India's independence, the Central India Horse (21st King George V's Own Horse) was allocated to India, although a Muslim Punjabi squadron was transferred to the 19th King George V's Own Lancers  in exchange for its Jat Squadron . When India became a republic in 1950, the regiment was renamed The Central India Horse.

Here is a First Day Cover of a postage stamp commemorating 150 Years of this Tank regiment. 

CIH.jpg

Edited by anand singh

The regiment won two George Medals in Italy, both minefield incidents. Sowar Ditto Ram's citation is here: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/37386/supplement/6055/data.pdf  St. John Graham Young R.T.R. attached C.I.H. was the second recipient: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/37185/supplement/3765/data.pdf

Michael

15 hours ago, Brett Hendey said:

Anand

Thank you for revealing more about the interesting history of what must be a very proud regiment.

Regards

Brett

Brett

The CIH is indeed a fine regiment with a rich & proud history.

11 hours ago, Michael Johnson said:

The regiment won two George Medals in Italy, both minefield incidents. Sowar Ditto Ram's citation is here: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/37386/supplement/6055/data.pdf  St. John Graham Young R.T.R. attached C.I.H. was the second recipient: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/37185/supplement/3765/data.pdf

Michael

A little bit on the origins of this Regiment :

The operations to suppress the Mutiny in Central India, and to round up the last of its leaders, were conducted in part by a number of ad hoc units which sprang up almost spontaneously and under the inspired leadership of young officers of junior rank. Amongst these units were Beatson's Horse, Meade's Horse, and Mayne's Horse. In time, these evolved into the 38th and 39th Central India Horse. In 1921, these two Regts merged their common roots and similar traditions to become the 21st King George's Own Central India Horse.

• 5 months later...
    Guest Prashant

Yes sirs the regiment is in fine fettle and was commanded by me to great performance including being adjudged best in training. ..regards to you all