News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

TWM Prices?

Tim B

I am also very suspicious about the sellers who are "private". One can not see what they sold or buy. Why PRIVATE? Why not open to evrybody? Suspicious.

But the company is getting better and accepted my argument in two cases and refunded the money paid.(Although the seller did not accept).

I suggest everybody be cautious about the Private sellers.

demir

As far as I know you can not sell on eBay as a private seller.You have to show your detailed feedback score,but as a buyer of corse you can hide your transactions.I think this is normal.Why would anybody need to see my purchase history??That is my business and completely irrelevant.

Even though I am a private buyer,people still manage to figure out what I buy.why would people need to know that?

Hello,

I won't answer for Demir here, as you addressed his comment directly.

However, I would point out that some ebay members use proxy bidders and have "friends" that appear to come in and either save the day when an item of a certain value doesn't get enough bids and "save" the piece from selling for a low value, saving the seller to relist it later on; or as in this case, someone that artificially bids up the price with the seemingly intent of never paying for the item, thus jerking all the other bidders around, or simply helping the seller out by raising the price paid in the end.

I suspect that is happening again in the relisted auction and all you have to do is look at the bidders.

By having the ability to check everyone's transactions, you can usually see patterns between buyers & sellers and figure it out pretty quick if there is something going on. Happens a lot in the coin end of eBay.

In this particular case, the seller has never left the buyer negative feedback on this cancelled purchase. Now, if you were the seller, would you be upset that your high bidder doesn't honor his bid--which is grounds for suspension from eBay btw!! Would you leave him negative feedback and report him to eBay for this?? I would and know most sellers do exactly that. In this case, not only does he not leave negative feedback, the entire transaction is now not listed in the sellers past auctions at all. Does that make you a bit curious here??

Oh, and in the interest of full disclosure here, that bidder that backed out of this initial ebay auction is also reading and posting in this thread and a few of us now know who he is.shame.gif

Tim

Hello,

I won't answer for Demir here, as you addressed his comment directly.

However, I would point out that some ebay members use proxy bidders and have "friends" that appear to come in and either save the day when an item of a certain value doesn't get enough bids and "save" the piece from selling for a low value, saving the seller to relist it later on; or as in this case, someone that artificially bids up the price with the seemingly intent of never paying for the item, thus jerking all the other bidders around, or simply helping the seller out by raising the price paid in the end.

I suspect that is happening again in the relisted auction and all you have to do is look at the bidders.

By having the ability to check everyone's transactions, you can usually see patterns between buyers & sellers and figure it out pretty quick if there is something going on. Happens a lot in the coin end of eBay.

In this particular case, the seller has never left the buyer negative feedback on this cancelled purchase. Now, if you were the seller, would you be upset that your high bidder doesn't honor his bid--which is grounds for suspension from eBay btw!! Would you leave him negative feedback and report him to eBay for this?? I would and know most sellers do exactly that. In this case, not only does he not leave negative feedback, the entire transaction is now not listed in the sellers past auctions at all. Does that make you a bit curious here??

Oh, and in the interest of full disclosure here, that bidder that backed out of this initial ebay auction is also reading and posting in this thread and a few of us now know who he is.shame.gif

Tim

Hello Tim

I do see your point,but please try to see the picture from my side.As a buyer why do i have to share every single item that i purchase with some people who is sitting there and just trying to find out what i buy or sell?What is the purpose of doing that?Personally i do not care what other people buy on ebay,that is their business.

No matter what,new eBay policy would not let Sellers leave a negative feedback anymore.

I suggest that we should name the person here, who backed out of this initial ebay auction.

As far as I know you can not sell on eBay as a private seller.You have to show your detailed feedback score,but as a buyer of corse you can hide your transactions.I think this is normal.Why would anybody need to see my purchase history??That is my business and completely irrelevant.

Even though I am a private buyer,people still manage to figure out what I buy.why would people need to know that?

Hi,

You are wrong,you can buy and sell as a private seller. Please check this items (the TWM medal which is in question-380241636240) bidders, you will see a person which has private sign by his coded name. On the other hand, nobody (and I do not) wants to see what you are buying and selling, if you want to be secretive then from now on you will know that GMIC members will be more cautious about these kind of private sellers. (And I know that you are not a private seller !) What we are trying to do in this forum is to warn our fellow members and no to get into an argument with them.

demir

Edited by demir

Hello Everyone,

You learn something new every day. I was not aware that you could sell on eBay as a private seller, but then I have not sold on eBay for two or more years and when I did it was usually antique tools. I would have to disagree that no one wants to know what you have purchased (or, as they say "won") on eBay. The fellow I mentioned in post #6 used to do this all the time and I could not purchase anything without him knowing. The only problem that came of this would be a nasty and threatening phone call to me when I would out bid him on an item. It got to the point where the family would not pick up the pohone if his number appeared on the call display.

I am starting to agree with one of our members, who does not visit here any more, when he refers to eBay as e$cam. I've started to purchase from a trusted local dealer here in Ontario more and more rather than using online auctions. There are not the "deals" that can be seen with auctions but there are no worries about the item as to grade and authenticity.

Now that a seller's identification can be kept private it opens up eBay to every bandit and highwayman to ply his, or her, nefarious trade. :ninja:

Thanks for listening to my early morning, coffee-induced rant.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

ottomanmedal (is there a real name?),

I do see your point, believe me. Let me say first, that I don't go out of my way to spy on other buyers. I only actively "search" this type of information when I suspect something may be amiss, as in this case. As a regular on eBay, I have seen/experienced my fair share of the deals that go slightly off, either due to the seller using the bait & switch of showing an item and sending something completely different, or showing only a partial image and then once you receive it, see what he didn't include and why. Always pays to ask questions first, even with sellers that you have done past business with. When they spell out "ask all questions prior to bidding", that's a indicator that you need to look a little closer.

I also see a lot of repeat customers to certain sellers that always bid prices up fairly high, but then somehow, never seem to win anything, ever. That make me suspicious- A LOT! There are coin dealers that sell on ebay and have been ridiculed, and in a couple cases harrassed, by other "high-end" sellers that don't like someone starting auctions out at .99 and letting an auction run it's normal "auction" course. I have seen emails threatening these guys and eBay gets negative claims about them and eventually they give up and leave. These guys were legit, honest sellers and the system beat them up and down.

Then, there are the guys that do actively spy on you, as Brian alluded to about the guy who knew whenever he bid/won an item. There is a member in Israel that watches my bidding on Japanese items and whenever I bid on something, he is right there within 24 hours out bidding me. I don't know him; figure I must have outbid him on something once and now he's pissed off?? I just learn to come in at the last minute if I really want something. Of course, I have caught him doing it a few times and have jacked the price up in order for him to pay a little extra for the harrassment, but as far as I know, he always honored his bid and followed through with payment.

Demir mentioned these "private" guys. Experience has shown me that if someone wants to keep everything out of sight, there is usually a reason. Why? I guess it depends on the who and where they are. Perhaps some have legitimate concerns on what they are selling and fear if someone that knows them or where they live, they may have in their home broken into and robbed. Then again, it might be guys that are knowingly selling junk and don't want other potential customers to see what they sold, especially if they have multiple like items. Ebay already discontinues showing items after 90 days, these private guys drop the PIC's almost immediately post auction.

Again, in the coin world, I know two high-end sellers (the ones mentioned above btw) that buy cheap (dirt-cheap) and almost immediately turn the same item around for 5-10 X the purchase amount. I was outbid on an item once by one of these guys and after seeing it listed in his auctions and not moving, asked if he would consider a lower amount. The reply was very curt and amounted to "this item is really in exceptional condition and you'll never see these selling for...". Then, I mentioned and linked the initial sale auction and showed exactly what he paid for it and when. Told him that in the future he would be smart to wait the 90 days before rolling something over. No reply but, he immediately pulled his auction. Anyway... I think you can see my point as well?

On the issue of this guy who is reading and has prveiously posted here on the thread. I have already named him initially in my post on 6-14-10, but I removed his full ebay handle when Demir mentioned that he was a member and already posted in this thread. I edited my post to avoid the flame wars, as we don't need that kind of stuff here at GMIC. We know who he is and believe me, he is reading this post.

My personal thoughts are that he is either directly involved in the sale of this item, or one of those guys that just likes to see other collectors get jacked around and then plays the innocent while laughing behind your back. There are a lot of them around unfortuately, but this hobby takes all kinds.

Regards,

Tim

Hello All,

Seeing as though Tim B has gone on a attack about this guy, there is no need to wait in defending myself. It was me, however, i have not said anything about this till now, as i have been waiting for replies from ebay in regards to this matter. In relation to said item, i had put a bid of $99 dollars for this item as i was not prepared to pay more than that. The system had registered an max bid from myself of $999, and despite several requests from the seller to retract my bid i had no response and the system registered me as the winning bidder at six hundred odd dollars.Ebay has recently contacted me in regards to this matter and has agreed that i was not in the wrong and did my best to rectify this mistake, that is why there is no negative feedback for this item. So in future Tim B if you have concerns about my dealings i should suggest that you address them directly to me, to find out what really happened. I have nothing to hide from anyone, i do not 'jack up' prices for the sake of screwing others around, in all my transactions in the past i have payed for items i have won the very next day, except for two items because i was hospitalised for some time, and the sellers were quite happy to wait. That being said i have many references from leading auction houses throughout the world, and my transactions with them have been more than amicable. That being said, i understand how people can be pissed of by bidders who only bid to screw people, I AM NOT ONE OF THEM.

Best of regards to everyone, good day and salutations.

Murat

ottomanmedal (is there a real name?),

I do see your point, believe me. Let me say first, that I don't go out of my way to spy on other buyers. I only actively "search" this type of information when I suspect something may be amiss, as in this case. As a regular on eBay, I have seen/experienced my fair share of the deals that go slightly off, either due to the seller using the bait & switch of showing an item and sending something completely different, or showing only a partial image and then once you receive it, see what he didn't include and why. Always pays to ask questions first, even with sellers that you have done past business with. When they spell out "ask all questions prior to bidding", that's a indicator that you need to look a little closer.

I also see a lot of repeat customers to certain sellers that always bid prices up fairly high, but then somehow, never seem to win anything, ever. That make me suspicious- A LOT! There are coin dealers that sell on ebay and have been ridiculed, and in a couple cases harrassed, by other "high-end" sellers that don't like someone starting auctions out at .99 and letting an auction run it's normal "auction" course. I have seen emails threatening these guys and eBay gets negative claims about them and eventually they give up and leave. These guys were legit, honest sellers and the system beat them up and down.

Then, there are the guys that do actively spy on you, as Brian alluded to about the guy who knew whenever he bid/won an item. There is a member in Israel that watches my bidding on Japanese items and whenever I bid on something, he is right there within 24 hours out bidding me. I don't know him; figure I must have outbid him on something once and now he's pissed off?? I just learn to come in at the last minute if I really want something. Of course, I have caught him doing it a few times and have jacked the price up in order for him to pay a little extra for the harrassment, but as far as I know, he always honored his bid and followed through with payment.

Demir mentioned these "private" guys. Experience has shown me that if someone wants to keep everything out of sight, there is usually a reason. Why? I guess it depends on the who and where they are. Perhaps some have legitimate concerns on what they are selling and fear if someone that knows them or where they live, they may have in their home broken into and robbed. Then again, it might be guys that are knowingly selling junk and don't want other potential customers to see what they sold, especially if they have multiple like items. Ebay already discontinues showing items after 90 days, these private guys drop the PIC's almost immediately post auction.

Again, in the coin world, I know two high-end sellers (the ones mentioned above btw) that buy cheap (dirt-cheap) and almost immediately turn the same item around for 5-10 X the purchase amount. I was outbid on an item once by one of these guys and after seeing it listed in his auctions and not moving, asked if he would consider a lower amount. The reply was very curt and amounted to "this item is really in exceptional condition and you'll never see these selling for...". Then, I mentioned and linked the initial sale auction and showed exactly what he paid for it and when. Told him that in the future he would be smart to wait the 90 days before rolling something over. No reply but, he immediately pulled his auction. Anyway... I think you can see my point as well?

On the issue of this guy who is reading and has prveiously posted here on the thread. I have already named him initially in my post on 6-14-10, but I removed his full ebay handle when Demir mentioned that he was a member and already posted in this thread. I edited my post to avoid the flame wars, as we don't need that kind of stuff here at GMIC. We know who he is and believe me, he is reading this post.

My personal thoughts are that he is either directly involved in the sale of this item, or one of those guys that just likes to see other collectors get jacked around and then plays the innocent while laughing behind your back. There are a lot of them around unfortuately, but this hobby takes all kinds.

Regards,

Tim

Hello Murat,

Well, let me see if I got the timeline correct here.

- You placed your bid on May 17th and the auction ran till completion for seven more days, ending on May 24th. Seven days and eBay couldn't help you?? They have a policy on bid retraction stated on eBay's website and all you have to do is notify them and the seller what happened and it's retracted. I know, I did this once a long time ago and it was immediately corrected. Now, if the seller is not changing something or correcting his auction because of the "mistake", then I think for a bid of $999. I would have made sure eBay got it fixed right away, but that's me.

- So, the auction ends on May 24 and you're the high bidder. Then the next day when the thread is running, you post not that you are the person in question and made a mistake and have been trying to correct it, but ... you come in condeming those that pay too much for items on ebay and how you can't believe prices are what they are.

- Now, 18 days later, June 11, you still don't clear up what happened, but call the item out again as relisted so people can start the process all over again. Does that make sense? AND...you wait another 6 days to finally come forward to "give your side" after knowing that most of us here have already identified you as the bidder. I'm sorry, I'm just finding it rather hard to buy your story at this point.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Hello Tim,

Unlike youself i do not sit in front of a computer making snide remarks at people and questioning their integrity, i should say that you lose your cockiness when adressing people, you might actually make some friends that way.

As i have stated i had contacted the seller about retracting my bid however there was no response to this, so i let it go, and then yes i did not pay for it. As i had fallen ill and have been in hospital i could not attend to my matters for some time (this being the day after i posted a response to you thread), and now that i have been out pf hospital, i went to ebay to rectify this issue and i have been exonerated. And another thing if you look closely at the thread i did not in any way deny that it was me, nor did i attack people for paying high prices, my thread included ann attack on sellers who deliberately advertise for higher than value prices and other sellers using them as a reference to jip people. Like i said i do not have to prove myself to you or to anyone, i have a good name with many people and i do not care for people like yourself attacking my integrity. So in closing i do not care if you "buy my story" or not, i didnt have to say anything but i did, so you can go back to your corner and eagerly think of a way to attack my word.

regards

Murat

ps. get the timeline right sunshine

Hello Murat,

Well, let me see if I got the timeline correct here.

- You placed your bid on May 17th and the auction ran till completion for seven more days, ending on May 24th. Seven days and eBay couldn't help you?? They have a policy on bid retraction stated on eBay's website and all you have to do is notify them and the seller what happened and it's retracted. I know, I did this once a long time ago and it was immediately corrected. Now, if the seller is not changing something or correcting his auction because of the "mistake", then I think for a bid of $999. I would have made sure eBay got it fixed right away, but that's me.

- So, the auction ends on May 24 and you're the high bidder. Then the next day when the thread is running, you post not that you are the person in question and made a mistake and have been trying to correct it, but ... you come in condeming those that pay too much for items on ebay and how you can't believe prices are what they are.

- Now, 18 days later, June 11, you still don't clear up what happened, but call the item out again as relisted so people can start the process all over again. Does that make sense? AND...you wait another 6 days to finally come forward to "give your side" after knowing that most of us here have already identified you as the bidder. I'm sorry, I'm just finding it rather hard to buy your story at this point.

Tim

Murat,

You are correct, you do not have to answer to, or justify yourself to anyone.cheers.gif

Oh, the timeline is correct; it's been 24 days (today) since the initial auction ended. Have a nice day!

Tim

Hello Everyone,

You learn something new every day. I was not aware that you could sell on eBay as a private seller, but then I have not sold on eBay for two or more years and when I did it was usually antique tools. I would have to disagree that no one wants to know what you have purchased (or, as they say "won") on eBay. The fellow I mentioned in post #6 used to do this all the time and I could not purchase anything without him knowing. The only problem that came of this would be a nasty and threatening phone call to me when I would out bid him on an item. It got to the point where the family would not pick up the pohone if his number appeared on the call display.

I am starting to agree with one of our members, who does not visit here any more, when he refers to eBay as e$cam. I've started to purchase from a trusted local dealer here in Ontario more and more rather than using online auctions. There are not the "deals" that can be seen with auctions but there are no worries about the item as to grade and authenticity.

Now that a seller's identification can be kept private it opens up eBay to every bandit and highwayman to ply his, or her, nefarious trade. ninja.gif

Thanks for listening to my early morning, coffee-induced rant.

Regards

Brian

Hello Brian,

I am % 100 sure that you can NOT sell on eBay as a private seller!!!

You can make purchases as a private member,but you can not sell.

You can make the sale as a private auction, so nobody can see the bidders,but to sell on eBay you have to show your feedbacks and your transaction history.

Best wishes,

M.Akdeniz