News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I can't read the images of his Service Record very well, but he seems to have been posted to the Northern Command Depot 1916(?)and from there to the 15th Reserve Cavalry Regiment after service with the 14th Hussars.

Not being able to see them very clearly I can't tell if he is a wartime re-enlistment hence being renumbered and then posted to the 14th Hussars. Had he stuck by his original terms of service(5yrs with the Colours - 7yrs with the Reserve) then he would have received his complete discharge in 1908, but as I've said I can't see them clearly.

I can't read the images of his Service Record very well, but he seems to have been posted to the Northern Command Depot 1916(?)and from there to the 15th Reserve Cavalry Regiment after service with the 14th Hussars.

Not being able to see them very clearly I can't tell if he is a wartime re-enlistment hence being renumbered and then posted to the 14th Hussars. Had he stuck by his original terms of service(5yrs with the Colours - 7yrs with the Reserve) then he would have received his complete discharge in 1908, but as I've said I can't see them clearly.

Ah - now I see - he re-engages to complete his 21(?)yrs service and the posting to the 14th Hussars is earlier on so he isn't re-enlisting.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully this gentleman in the photo of 14th Hussars, Bangalore, India, 1912?

Just the one medal ribbon worn, I think, & I think it's the QSA.

Hi Leigh, i was hoping you might know the names of the other soldiers in this photo, my great grandfather served with the 14th (Kings) Hussars, and might be one of the men in the photo, I am currently looking for his name and will get back to you when I have it.

Thanks, Patrick.

• 2 months later...

Patrick and Farrar

I know quite a bit about the 14th Hussars and may be able to help with the details

hussars @ which.net

Charles Rush was with the 14th Hussars in India without a doubt. The Northern Cavalry Barracks and the 5th (not 15th) Reserve would fir the unit.

Patrick (Hussars)

• 1 year later...
    Guest Crick

Hi Leigh

I discovered your wonderful picture of the 14th Kings Hussars in Bangalore posted above which features my great grandfather.

Any chance you could send me a high res version of it or any others you have of the regiment or tell me where you found it.

My email address is foiapplication at gmail.com

Many thanks it made my day seeing this new photo.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Crick - welcome to GMIC and I hope you will continue with the Forum. Unfortunately Leigh left

GMIC for personal family reasons and we miss his detailed knowledge on British Regiments. I hope

one of our other members with an interest in the 14th Hussars will be able to help you.

You should be able to take a good impression of the earlier photo - let a photo shop clean it up

for you.

Best wishes and please ask if we can help in any way. Mervyn

• 5 months later...

Wow, some fascinating research has been done on this topic! I am trying to find out more about my great grandfather, Herbert Hallett (pictured in my profile). He was in the 20th hussars and died in the first battle of Ypres in Oct 1914. I'm not sure exactly when he joined, born in 1880, his wedding certificate of 1908 lists him as a railway labourer by profession. On the back of the certificate however is a 'stamp' from (Cavalry Records Hussars York for the date of 5 May 1909), would this indicate the date he joined the regiment? Also, his marriage certificate states that he lives in Brighton, older relatives think he met his wife whilst stationed at Lewes road barracks? Does this link with the 20th hussars at all?

Help!

• 5 months later...

Hello

My gt gd was a Lieutenant in the 20th Hussars but we are unable to trace his family tree. We are not sure if he or his son changed their name, but I was wondering if there are any records of the names of officers that served?

Thanks

John