News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch TMPT cross

Hi, I am enclosing a picture of the Dutch TMPT cross.

It is an official Dutch medal since 1952. TMPT means: Two days Military Physical Endurance Trials (in Dutch: Tweedaagse Militaire Prestatie Tocht). When you pass the trials at the end of day 2 you are awarded this cross. The organiser of the trials and the issuer of this cross is the Dutch Reserve Officers Association (KVNRO).

I am looking for fellow collectors with this cross in their collection. If you do, please post a nice detailed picture of it of the front and back.

At the moment i am studying this cross, the variations, the different makers and its history.

FYI. The first crossed were issued in the Netherlands in 1936 till 1939. In 1940 and 1941 a Netherlands East Indies version of te trials were held. After WW2 in 1955 the trials were restarted till now. Once a year the trials are held.

The picture i enclose is a 1937 version from my own collection.

Thanks in advance.

Herman

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

The cross also exists in silver with blue enamelled arms. This means 10 times passing the tests of the two days endurance trial.

Around 100 have been issued. The first was issued in 1963. The last one was given this year in May.

Herman

post-8267-089175300 1285505878_thumb.jpg

and this is the one given when you succeed in 25 times passing the Two Days Military Endurance trials. Red enamelled arms of the cross.

Only 7 are given sofar. The last one in 2003.

Herman

post-8267-004674500 1285695266_thumb.jpg

Edited by Herman

As you can read at the site, you have to partner up. A team of 2 is necessary to compeed in the trials. If a team exists of 2 women, the standards are a bit lower. Also for personell with an age of 45 years and older the lower standards apply. But if a woman or an elder man partners up with somebody of 44 years or less than both go for the whole heavier lot.

I participated 21 times now and hope to reach at least 25 participations. Well just do it as a famous commercial says.

For all you boys and girls in the military: Please participate. Its fun...... as my buddy says: "I love the TMPT 363 days a year. The 2 I participate are not that funny."

Anyway: Nobody has one in his/her collection??

best regards

Herman

• 3 years later...

Yup, you have to train the bicycling, the obstacle course, navigating, shooting, grenade throwing and so on and on.

But you don't have to be of Olympic standards. Give it a try I say.

regards

Herman

Added a picture of a Dutch ribbon bar with the last ribbon being the TMPT. :D

Edited by Herman

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

As the cross is also the logo of the Dutch Reserve Officers Association (KVNRO) they own this cross and its form.

So, in the 1960-ties the National Board of this association decided to award this cross to people who were worthy to be merited by the board.

This meant that now and then an important general in the eyes of the association or a very busy reserve officer received this cross.

As you can see at the picture it is very close to the ten participations cross. The only difference is the closed laurel added to the ribbon.

Please note that you did NOT have to do the physical TMPT to receive this cross.

Herman

• 6 months later...
    • 1 month later...

I have earned this award. I was an American Soldier assigned to the Dutch army for three years. I was 52 when I did the competition and it was do-able but difficult. It is done by two-person teams, which helped since my Dutch language abilities were not fluent.  As far as the current committee knew, I was the only American to earn the award in their current known history. But considering how many U.S. soldiers have been in The Netherlands since WWII I find it doubtful that I am actually the only one; maybe just the only one recently. Their records went back 20 some years they said.

• 3 years later...

Let's revive this old topic.

@SGM97B, well done. Indeed you are one of the few US miltary to participate and succeed. 

I enclose a picture of one of my favorite medal sets. This set is from a Dutch Colonel who was the first to reach 25 succesfull participations. At this moment only ten people succeeded to reach this number and qualified for the red enamelled cross.

859894504_medailleset28xTMPT.thumb.jpg.e21b57ef0739a3cd3eb6e28fd1b97c59.jpg

Regards 

Herman 

• 4 years later...