News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm hoping to try and find examples of the badges for the four units which were amalgamated in 1913 to form South Africa's first Military Constabulary, the SAMR.

So, I need to find

Cape Mounted Police

Cape Mounted Rifles

Natal Police

Transval Police

Problem for me is that I haven't a clue what they look like. Does anyone have any photos of these ?

I found out today that a "CMP" shoulder title I had in a box with some spare British Corps of Military Police CMP titles was in fact for the Cape Mounted Police so that was a bit of a bonus and at least gets me started, !

Gordon

Attached is a photograph of some of the Natal Mounted Police (1874 - 1894) and Natal Police (1894 - 1913) badges in my collection. Two that are missing are represented by photocopies. (The missing badges are recorded as collar badges but, in fact, were headgear badges.)

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Brett

Hi Brett,

Much obliged ! At least I know what I am looking for now. I wasn't going to go back any further than the SAMR for the history of the SACMP but now I know I have the CMP title I won't be able to resist getting the badges of their earlier forebears (or trying to !)

Gordon - the only one I can help with at present, is a Cape Police cap badge. I showed it lower down the page under Cape Mounted Police Photographs. I will see if I can locate a Natal Police one for you.

Thanks Mervyn. At least I have an idea what I am looking for now. The references I have (K&K etc) all relate to British badges. I have very little on Commonwealth other than what I have gleaned from various websites and I have been warned that not all the info is accurate.

Had a quick look around the internet but so far not found any of these for sale, but most things turn up in time !

The other thing I am not sure on is badge changes over period for these units as I'd need to locate examples of the type used in 1913 when they were absorbed into the SAMR.

Gordon - the quick and easy way to date early Sth. African Police badges is to remember that from 1913 to 1926 the bi-lingual wording for the Afrikaans, was actually in High Dutch. The spelling for 'POLICE' was in fact 'POLITIE' - after 1926 it became 'POLISIE'.

After 1960 the British Crown was dropped. I have a number of early badges and will post some examples.

• 2 weeks later...

WHITE METAL SOUTH AFRICAN POLICE HELMET PLATE

A very rare white metal helmet plate.

This helmet plate was used between 1913 and 1926 and was issued to Non-White members of the South African Police.

As explained by Mervyn, the Dutch for Zuid-Afrikaanse and Politie is clearly visible.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to find some information on an Irishman named Thomas AB Taylor, Died Arpil 1950. I believe he served in the Cae Mounted Police but there is nobody of his family left in Ireland to ask about him. Does a register exist identifying those who served in the force ? He "retired" to Ireland around 1926 aged (I believe 38) He was a surperb horseman and acted as the local vet. I would appreciate any help on this research.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm researching the life of a member of the Natal Police who was killed during the Boer War, and wondered what type of badge would've worn by the unit during that conflict. Would it have been the badge depicting "NP" surrounded by a laurel wreath and with a crown on top? And does anyone have a decent image of the badge itself? Hope someone can help!

Best wishes,

Marc

Marc - welcome to GMIC. Brett has shown above a good set of badges for the early Natal Mounted Police and , then later from 1894, the Natal Police. They continued until 1913 and the formation of the South African Police.

From 1894 until 1902 their badge had the Queen Victoria Crown. I will show again, the succession of the badges.

The two NMP are helmet plates. The smaller DCP was for the Durban City Police.

This is the set shown by Brett, above. They were worn from 1902 to 1913. The South African Police were created in that year.

There were two styles of Crowns - one is shown on the larger badge - usually worn on the slouch hat. The other - more rounded style is on the collars.

illustrations from Colin Owen's book - The Military Badges of South Africa. The numbers are his ref.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Will - interesting to see your early NMP helmet plate, I know that yours will be genuine and that makes only four that I have knowledge of - rare.

I have just sold a set for the early Rhodesian Mashonaland Mounted Police - found them in a box in storage ! Again, Rare.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all of your replies, I appreciate it!

I'm researching the life of Sgt. Nigel Locke, who was mortally wounded during the defence of Mahlabatini on 28 April 1901. I should say that I'm not related to him - my interest in Locke stems from the fact that he attended the same school as myself, and lived in the same Kentish village in which I've spent my whole life - all twenty-four years! In fact, my house stands on the site of the Locke family's former residence.

My old school is keen to put up a memorial in honour of Nigel Locke, and a representation of the Natal Police badge may well appear on the final plaque - thanks again for providing me with a decent image.

I've managed to uncover a great deal about Locke's life, and he receives a detailed mention in Holt's "The Mounted Police of Natal." However, I'd be interested to know if Locke's grave still exists in Mahlabatini, and if his name appears on any memorials to the Natal Police's Boer War casualties. Also, does an archive/museum for the Natal Police exist? Would they be able to provide further details of Locke's police service, especially in the period before his death? Perhaps even a photograph of him in uniform? Hope someone can help!

Marc

Marc

I was very interested to read of your Sgt Locke project. You probably have all the information that I have to hand, but I will repeat it anyway:

N Locke enlisted in the Natal Mounted Police on 24/3/1892. (The NMP became the Natal Police in 1894 when Natal became a self-governing Colony. Locke would therefore have worn both NMP and NP badges during his service.)

The NMP/NP Enlistment Register (& other NMP/NP documents) are kept in the Pietermaritzburg Repository of the South African National Archives. Locke's entry is likely to give only his next-of-kin and address, which you probably have anyway. If you want a copy of the relevant page, please let me know. I will check for other mentions of Locke in the Pietermaritzburg files but, in general, records of individuals in the NMP/NP are poor.

Holt's account of the Mahlabatini incident is copied virtually verbatim from Inspector (later Chief Commissioner) W J Clarke's record of the event, which was published in the NP magazine, 'The Nongqai'. (It seems to me that Holt shamelessly plagiarised Clarke's records of the NMP/NP to produce his book.) It may be worth having a copy of Clarke's account in order to check that Holt included all Clarke's details of the event. I can make a photocopy for you.

I know someone who has been recording military graves in Natal and I will ask about that of Locke. Such graves are often neglected and sometimes vandalised and, since Locke's is in a remote part of Zululand, it may not be in good shape.

Good luck with your project.

Regards

Brett