News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Maker's Marks / Hallmarks / Guarantee Stamps

Tim B

Hello Rob

Yes, Léon Chalin was a medal maker in Paris. His workshop was 12 rue de Crussol. He was registered from 1895 to 1929.

The other mark (C and L superposed) is assessed to be another Léon Chalin's mark. But I have no clear evidence of that. This is only an assumption.

Regards

Bison

Edited by Bison

Interesting mark above, Rob. I think I posted this PIC over on another thread and will repost it here. Notice, yet another diamond marking. Hard to tell the center as it appears it took a strike in the area.

Tim

Hello Rob

Yes, Léon Chalin was a medal maker in Paris. His workshop was 12 rue de Crussol. He was registered from 1895 to 1929.

The other mark (C and L superposed) is assessed to be another Léon Chalin's mark. But I have no clear evidence of that. This is only an assumption.

Regards

Bison

Hello Bison,

Thanks very much for the clarification. That is good information. :D

It would be good if someone else could add to the mix and confirm this.

Apart from the recent book by Patrick Binet, which shows the relevant makers marks of the Colonial medals, are there any other references available that has some form of listing of the myriad of French manufacturer hallmarks? I have an old copy of 'Court Jewelers of the World' by Jeffrey R. Jacob, dated 1978 which is very useful. While it shows a great many different manufacturer marks it is also incomplete in many areas. It would be advantageous if such an updated book were produced.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 1 month later...

Thought I would add another maker's mark here on this thread despite the apparent lack of interest anymore. Shame, as the thread had potential IMO.

Here's one of the marks for Arthus Bertrand on a WW1 Commemorative Medal. I read on another site that the symbol is supposed to be a wheel gear topped with a star but, it looks more like the star is topped by the wheel gear. The letters A.B. et Cie in the bottom of the triangle.

Tim

post-548-090370900 1287463838_thumb.jpg

Thought I would add another maker's mark here on this thread despite the apparent lack of interest anymore. Shame, as the thread had potential IMO.

Here's one of the marks for Arthus Bertrand on a WW1 Commemorative Medal. I read on another site that the symbol is supposed to be a wheel gear topped with a star but, it looks more like the star is topped by the wheel gear. The letters A.B. et Cie in the bottom of the triangle.

Tim

Hello Tim,

It is a nice Arthus Bertrand specimen. I have posted another AB example on the following thread which clearly shows the details of the mark.

French War Commemorative varieties

Regards,

Rob

Tim

Thanks, Tim, still adding to my store of knowledge.

Yes, I seen the other thread. I just wanted to keep the marks on one thread so future collectors didn't have to search countless pages to find the information. Doesn't really matter, as there aren't many contributors actually adding anything to establish a database.

No knocks on those reading if they don't have pieces to add, just a general statement here. ;)

Regards,

Tim :cheers:

I won't bother with my Leon Chalin as the mark is posted above already, but I will add an example of the Paul Leclere mark on another Commemorative Medal.

Another triangle that has the letters P and L with a lightning bolt in between.

Tim

post-548-053013800 1287645115_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim B

• 4 months later...

Hi

Sometimes symbols have a meaning. In this case, the lightning ('l'éclair' in French)is very close in pronunciation with "LECLERE".

That is the reason why some makers have chosen to have a sort of rebus in their marks.

Regards

Bison

• 10 months later...

Raymond Juif (R "une jambe de bois" J)...

dsc_0431.jpg

Lemaitre : (L "grenade" Fils)

dsc_0442.jpg

silver 2nd empire for campaign medals see medal of Mexico

dsc_0433.jpg

Garantie silver-gold

dsc_0434.jpg

Adrien Chobillon

dsc_0435.jpg

A Bacqueville

dsc_0436.jpg

Arthus Bertrand

dsc_0437.jpg

Victor Lemoine

dsc_0438.jpg

garantie gold and halmark Georges Aucoq

dsc_0439.jpgdsc_0443.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

It's a very interesting topic I find here now.

Please, can someone identify to me this marking at my Croix du Combattant?

Seems to me letters inside are "M et R".

1znaq0i.jpg

Thanks and Regards,

Ricardo

Edited by RRicardo

Ricardo,

This is a very interesting question because.... many collectors in France are also wondering who is this manufacturer, without any consistent answer at the moment.

In fact, the initials are M&N with something like an anchor above.

It is still a mystery for me, but I continue to research.

If somebody has a beginning of a piece of information, he is more than welcome!

• 3 months later...

This is such a great thread and very informative. I have a maker's mark that I haven't been able to identify yet and could use some help. The marks are on a Boulanger Lion and Sun medal. Boulanger has outsourced some of their medals to other medal makers for manufacturing. It looks a lot like Lemaitre's mark, but the "E" looks pretty clear. The letters appear to be E and L. Any ideas?

Jean-Chrispohe of http://www.phaleristic.com kindly identified this mark for me as Edmond LEMAITRE, this house is an old orders maker. Lemaitre bought BOULLANGER in 1920, and was finally absorbed by ARTHUS BERTRAND in1937. The mark is EL with a grenade with 4 flames in the centre.

So there was an Edmond and a Gaston Lemaitre mark.

Edited by Markus

• 3 years later...

Hi, I recently bought this Syria-Cilicia Commemorative medal. I noticed a maker's mark on the back that I haven't seen on other examples - can anybody identify it for me? Does the medal look genuine, btw?

13233309_10206395837083442_555757730_n.jpg

13234681_10206395838203470_390614207_o.jpg

13234859_10206395837843461_1995560180_o.jpg

• 1 year later...
    • 2 years later...
    • 2 years later...
    • 2 months later...

I recently included an additional French manufacturer’s hallmark in a post about a Napoleonic medal cabinet made in the early 19th century here in the France section (“Napoleonic Medal Cabinet with Ancient Egyptian Motifs”, started on 30 October, 2021). That mark is for the French Imperial goldsmith Martin-Guillaume Biennais (1764-1843). This post also includes a few hallmarks used by one manufacturer of Mixed Courts’ badges in Egypt who was based in Paris and two jewellers established in Alexandria Egypt who distributed silver made in Paris. I am illustrating here hallmarks for Pierre Henri Émile Froment Meurice (1837-1913) a Parisian silversmith who designed and made many of the first badges for judges and other officials of the Egyptian Mixed courts (1879-1949). I also am including here hallmarks and manufacturers’ marks for Wolf Horovitz and Zivy Fréres & Cie, jewelers in Alexandria, Egypt who also made these Mixed Courts badges and at least occasionally had other silver pieces manufactured in Paris for distribution in Egypt (in addition to clocks and watches from Switzerland). I am not very knowledgeable about French hallmarks, but would like to add these maker’s marks to this interesting and useful thread.

large.1944816958_1VANapoleonicmedalcasefrontal-lateral.jpg.94687af0a9a21c426b1de431b6bb23ee.jpg

French medal cabinet c.1810, in the Furniture and Woodwork Collection, accession no: W.8:1,2-2014, Victoria and Albert Museum, London (image copyrighted by the Victoria and Albert Museum; https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O1284580/medal-cabinet-martin-guillaume-biennais/?carousel-image=2014GY7211). 

large.1065588081_1aMetMusmedalcabinetkeyedfaceonesideopen.jpg.94f7696978099818a2f86ff6a3d74250.jpg

French Medal cabinet, probably made in Februry.1814, accession no: W.8:178.77. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (from: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/195473).

The manufacturer of the two medal cabinets I posted was probably the French Imperial goldsmith Martin-Guillaume Biennais (1764-1843). His workshop at least created the silver embellishments for both cabinets. The Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A) research staff feel that Biennais also likely manufactured the cabinet as well (the Metropolitan Museum of Art [MMA] identifies the cabinet maker as Desmalter et Cie, Paris). The lockplate of the V&A example is inscribed with the manufacturer’s name: “Biennais, Orfre de L. L. M. M. Imples et Royles à Paris” (Biennais, goldsmith to their Imperial and Royal Majesties in Paris). The longer winged Uraei on the front and back of the cornice are stamped with 3 silver hallmarks (only two are visible in the close-up photo), the oval Greek woman mark for 1793-1794, a diamond-shaped maker’s mark of Biennais, and the Paris standard hallmark for 1809-1819 (probably a form of the rooster hallmark with the number 1 indicating 950 silver assayed in Paris (but no illustration of this mark is provided). Because of his inscription on the lockplate, it was clear that Biennais fabricated the silver mounts. Older suppositions about the cabinet maker of this piece favored the Parisian firm Desmalter et Cie. However, the current consensus, at least within the V&A, is that the cabinetry of the case as well as the silver mounts were all were probably fabricated in the Biennais workshop (note below that the Metropolitan Museum still identifies Desmalter’s workshop as the probably manufacturer of their example of this medal cabinet). Biennais supplied Napoleon and his family with silver items from at least 1798, and he manufactured the crown and scepter used for his 1804 coronation as Emperor in Paris and Milan. There is a significant probability that the V&A example was made for Napoleon. The MMA does not have a comparable inscription on the lockplate. Instead, simply the name “Biennais” is engraved above each keyhole in the hidden location described and illustrated in my post on this cabinet of 30 October, 2021. As noted in that post and the text of the Sotheby’s 3 july, 2013 listing (Lot 42) for the example that ended up at the V&A, this change excluding the engraved mention of royal patronage (and the change from bee-forms of the drawer pulls to more scarab-like insect forms), may have been associated with Napoleon’s declining fortunes following military losses and his rejection of the 1813 Frankfurt Proposal’s peace terms. These are the only known examples of this form of medal cabinet that was designed by Charles Percier. For a more detailed, and potentially overly pedantic treatment of these cabinets, see my 30 October, 2021 thread in this France section of GMIC. 

large.869184218_10VANapoleonicmedalcasecloseupoflockplate.jpg.44c1240f9d37763d9fd07f5d43971220.jpg

The lockplate of the c. 1811 V&A example with Biennais’ inscription: “Biennais, Orfre de L. L. M. M. Imples et Royles à Paris”.

large.1610142506_27MetMusmedalcabinetdetailofleftUraeusopenshowingkeyholeasBennaisname.jpg.1ddc2335e5f2fa0de73eed82ffe47f80.jpg

One of the keyholes on the c. 1814 MMA example with the more abbreviated inscription “Biennais”. 

None of the high-resolution photos of these two Napoleonic medal cabinet (c. 1810) provide close-up images of the silver hallmarks on the fittings of this cabinet. In my post, I have identified the locations and marks on the silverwork on the two extant examples of this medal cabinet in my thread on his piece, but have used examples from a different silver item made by Biennais to show his maker’s mark. The hallmarks illustrated below are from a cropped image of the underside of the lid of a silver, gilt, and ebony teapot made by Biennais c. 1809-1815, that is curated in the Royal Collection Trust, RCIN 48395 (https://www.rct.uk/collection/48395/teapot). These images are copyrighted (Royal Collection Trust/©Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2021), but can be used for non-commercial purposes. 

large.1386556996_2BiennaisFrenchhallmarksonteapot.jpg.b0de8bcc30b16ba9231a8618b2c6c6f6.jpg

The lower left oval mark is the Greek woman’s head mark for 1793 (with the letter “P”). Apparently this mark, and others dating to the late 19th century, were common marks in the post-revolutionary period and employed in some contexts until at least 1830. The lower right hallmark is that of Biennais, a “B” in a vertical diamond-shaped lozenge with a monkey above that, with two pellets (dots) to either side of the monkey. As noted, the photos of the Napoleonic medal cabinet do not show the maker’s mark and hallmarks in any detail. The images I’m posting of the Biennais maker’s mark and associated hallmarks come from a silver, gilt, and ebony teapot made by Biennais c. 1809-1815, that is curated in the Royal Collection Trust, RCIN 48395 (https://www.rct.uk/collection/48395/teapot). These 7 images are copyrighted (Royal Collection Trust / © Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2021). The above photos show the complete assemblage of hallmarks on the underside of the teapot lid. 

large.1513535475_3BiennaismakersmarkGreekheadPhallmarkonteapot.jpg.312c376c5194d5f28ab2d7cf7b983aec.jpg

On the right is the Biennais maker’s mark, showing the “B” surmounted by a monkey and flanked by 2 pellets (“dots”). The hallmark on the left is the Greek woman’s head with the letter "P" on the left of the bust in an oval, is a mark identified for 1793. Apparently, this mark, and others dating to the late 19th century, were common marks in the post-revolutionary period and employed in some contexts until at least 1830. Following the revolution, there was a breakdown in systematic guarantee marking of silver and gold. Although this Greek woman’s head mark (and a version with the same bust but with a number 1 to the right of the bust for the period 1794-1797) was instituted in Paris by the Association of Gold and Silversmiths (Association de Orfévres), the use of these punches was only privately done and did not offer any legal guarantee. These hallmarks come from a cropped version of the above photo of the underside of the silver teapot lid made by Biennais c. 1809-1815. 

large.2010775808_4Biennaisteapotcock1hallmark.jpg.3977579a7491d51670a0fca6a6f01d96.jpg

Above is the cock and numeral "1" (1er coq) on the right in an octagon that is the Paris assay office fineness mark for 950 silver. The horizontal octagonal frame probably indicates 1809-1819 hallmark (the standard, or title, mark, poinçon de titre). This photo is cropped and rotated 180 degrees from the above image showing all 3 hallmarks on the underside of the same teapot in the Royal Collection Trust. The mass at the lower edge of the photo is part of the rivet holding the exterior ebony knob to the middle of the lid of the same teapot, which also held a tea caddy nested within itself, one of Biennais’ sets of traveling service ware, necessaires de voyages

large.500928999_5BiennaishallmarkFrenchhallmarksonteapot2.jpg.09e68ff93c611de9a304e5effaae91b8.jpg

Above is the complete set of hallmarks on the underside of the hinged lid of the teapot (at the back of the lid near the handle), showing from R-L: another example of the Biennais maker’s mark; the 1793 Greek woman’s head with the letter "P" on the left of the bust in an oval; and the helmeted head in a circle that is probably the Paris medium object guarantee mark for silver 1809-1819 (poinçon de garantie). All of these marks are detailed below. 

large.1248967127_6Biennaismakersmark2onteapot.jpg.e156c05411e434261e756aff7ea0aea4.jpg

Above is a second example of the Biennais maker’s mark, showing the “B” surmounted by a monkey and flanked by 2 pellets. This image is cropped from the above photo of the underside of the more proximal portion of the hinged lid of the same silver, gilt and ebony teapot made by Biennais and curated in the Royal Collection Trust.

large.1974654529_7BiennaisteapotwomansheadwithPhallmark2.jpg.620537e2c7e584f723f2446ce94fda8c.jpg

Another example of the mark identified for 1793 showing the Greek woman’s head with a letter "P". This is the mark to the left of the Biennais maker’s mark shown 2 photos above. It is less clear than the first illustration of this mark from the front of the teapot lid shown above, but is likely made with the same die.

large.1626083829_8Biennaisteapothelmetheadhallmark2.jpg.c1140f198275f4c03754c3babb339078.jpg

Above is the third hallmark on the same part of the underside of the proximal hinged lid of the same Biennais-made teapot as the second example of the Biennais maker’s mark and the Greek woman’s head  shown above (cropped from the image showing that Biennais mark, the Greek woman’s head with a "P", and this helmeted head mark). It shows a helmeted head in a circle that is probably the Paris medium object guarantee mark for silver 1809-1819 (poinçon de garantie) This mark is stated to also be present on the Victoria and Albert and the Metropolitan Museum medal cabinets. 

I have been researching badges used by judges and some other officials of the Egyptian Mixed Courts (developed to handle increased cases between Egyptian nationals and foreigners in the late 19th century and based on Napoloeonic law). This badge was originally designed and manufactured by the French silversmith Pierre Henri Émile Froment Meurice (1837-1913; he took over his father’s workshop in 1855 and retired in 1907). I have additional bibliographic information about Émile Froment-Meurice in my post of 15 August, 2019 in my thread “Egypt Khedivate Judge’s Badge question” started on 17 November, 2016 in the Middle East & Arab States section. Most of the badges I have encountered that can be attributed to Froment-Meurice are either unmarked or stamped only with his name “FROMENT-MEURICE”. I have only seen 3 examples of his French maker’s mark in a diamond frame that depicts the name "FROMENT" over a rose with "MEURICE" below that. 

large.540027915_9FromentMeuricerosebadgehallmark.jpg.1e75b03a5bd60f74e02d4b1ca812c2e8.jpg

Above is an example of the “FROMENT-MEURICE" name on the reverse of one of the Egyptian Mixed Courts badges, along with the French makers mark in the diamond fame. This is the image of the reverse of a badge from a September 2014 eBay auction archived on the  Worthpoint.com website , and is attributed to Judge Apostolo N. Gennaropoulo of the Mixed Tribunals of Alexandria (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ottoman-empire-egypt-khedivate-judges-982926374). I have not been able find any biographical information on this individual nor to confirm that he served as a Judge on the Mixed Courts. The badge was offered with the associated case labeled Froment-Meurice and an unframed photo of an individual wearing the badge on a bicolored sash, with the stamboulin coat and tarboosh. Although that coat is usually associated with judges, the bicolored sash (green and red) is usually associated either with individuals working with the prosecutor’s office (Parquet) or other functionaries of the courts such as clerks. 

large.1323574542_10FromentMeuriceroseillustration.png.6d25fff39b299cfa8667472666fc3640.png

Above is an illustration of the Froment-Meurice mark in the diamond frame showing the maker’s name and rose (from: https://www.langantiques.com/university/mark/froment-meurice/). 

large.1259717995_11mileFroment-Meuriceportrait.jpg.5a9e4efa9796d659215de020d861eaac.jpg

Portrait engraving of Émile Froment-Meurice at the age of 48 from Le mode illustré, 3 October, 1885 (from: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Émile_Froment-Meurice). 

I have seen examples of two manufacturers of these badges who were based in Alexandria, Egypt who also imported items made in France for distribution in Egypt. Wolf Horovitz and Zivy Fréres & Cie. 

large.435700873_12WHorovitzFrenchmakersmark.jpg.e9beb5461095e7a569bbabfba7369932.jpg

The diamond-framed manufacturer’s mark on a Wolf Horovitz piece made in France for his shop in Alexandria (following the French convention for such maker’s marks). This comes from one element of a 4-piece art deco tea set c. 1930 that was part of a past auction by Grabek in Lublin Antique Silver, Reference No 279 (https://grabekwlublinie.pl/en/offer/1421-paul-bibollet-wolf-horovitz-srebrny-serwis-do-kawy-i-herbaty-art-deco-paryz). It shows 3 French hallmarks above the Horovitz mark. This photo illustrates the W. Horovitz name and identifies this piece as having been made in France for Wolf Horovitzes shop in Alexandria. The 3 examples of Mixed Courts badges made by this atelier that I have seen photos of all show only the “HOROVITZ” name and the set of 3 Egyptian hallmarks, indicating they were made in Egypt and not France. Wolf Zeev Horovitz was born 18 August 1883 in Alexandria, Egypt and died 16 February, 1959 in Geneva, Switzerland and was of Romanian descent. The 3 French hallmarks above the Horovitz mark are: a diamond-shaped cartouche mark on the left, showing a lion with the letter “P” visible is the French silver manufacturer who created this piece for export to Wolf Horovitz. The Grabek W. Lublinie listing identifies a Paul Bibollet with this piece, and it is certainly his maker’s mark that is shown here. The image above does not show the right side of this maker’s mark (the uppermost portion in the photo above), but a photo of another mark on this tea set shows the presence of a “P” on the left side of the mark and a “B” on the right side (see below). The middle hallmark is the large guarantee of Mercury in an irregular hexagon denoting French-made 950 silver for export (1878-1973-accordin to the Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks, & Maker’s Marks website for French Hallmarks: http://www.830-1000.dk/Ffrench_marks.html); and on the right is the small guarantee of a rabbit/hare. The diamond-shaped cartouche with Horovitzes name below the French hallmarks appears to be engraved, and the lettering is punched with multiple chisel marks forming the letters.  

large.original.jpg.34db4241740ad8f6195920882aa74e19.jpg

Above is a close-up photo of three of the hallmarks on this same tea set, but from other pieces than the photo above with the Horovitz mark. From left to right: a better image of the Paul Bibollet maker’s mark, showing the full lion design and the “P” and “B” letters. The goldsmith Paul Bibollet of Paris appears to be identified as active and using this maker’s mark between 1924-1934; Center is the small guarantee of a rabbit’s head; At the right is the large guarantee of Mercury in a hexagonal from a with the number "1" in the lower left. The Grabek W. Lubinie website identifies the Mercury mark with the cypher 1 as the fineness mark but states (incorrectly?) that the hare’s head denotes “re-imported goods”. 

large.1288834011_13WolfHorovitzphoto.jpg.b7467d7e7d5c48eb828ac3a72aa858db.jpg

Undated photo of Wolf Zeev Horovitz from Geni.com genealogy website (https://www.geni.com/people/Wolf-Zeev-Horovitz/6000000002383946981). Horovitz had both more modest and élite clientele and also provided jewelry and possibly other goods to the royal courts of Kings Fuad I and Farouk I. I have seen images of one watch made by the well-known Patek, Philippe & Cie. of Geneva, Switzerland bearing the name W. HOROVITZ-ALEXANDRIE” on the face of the watch (but the case is marked with PATEK PHILLIP & CO. GENEVE”, and “W. HOROWITZ (sic) ALEXANDRIE”). 

large.1398815289_14ZivyFreresCie.Frenchhallmark.jpg.a7f2e891411657517522cf76b6293e7c.jpg

Above is the only example of a mark for Zivy Fréres & Cie. of Alexandria, Egypt on the single example I have found an image of for an Egyptian Mixed Courts badge made by this atelier. The illustration is of a badge offered in a 24 April, 2019 auction by Heritage Auctions. Lot # 74177 (https://fineart.ha.com/itm/metalwork/an-egyptian-silver-magistrate-s-badge-from-the-reign-of-abbas-ii-egypt-circa-1900-marks-unidentified-cipher-/a/5403-74177.s?ic10=FeaturedPastSalePrices-Thumbnail-052317#). This piece was almost certainly struck in Alexandria. I have not seen any example of a French diamond-shaped mark used by either Zivy Fréres & Cie., or the probably related silversmith Cesar Zivy. This example is silver. The “ZIVY FRERES” is double struck. I cannot distinguish details of the upper hallmark in either a square or rhomboid frame, and do not know if it is a French mark(?). It is not one of the 3 Egyptian silver hallmarks (that identify the purity and the location of the assay office where it was marked; the mark indicating Egyptian-made silver; and the date hallmark).  

large.64891805_15ZivyFreresCiebusinesscard.jpg.9d3fa5c5989d7dc1cfbbc7781ce89cce.jpg

Business card for Zivy Fréres & Cie. identifying the French and Swiss addresses of their European manufacturing locations and the shop address in Alexandria (from: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kelisli/5478285452/). 

I also have seen several receipts from Zivy Fréres & Cie. for a range of silver pieces and repairs. Advertisements in contemporary publications also are common in internet images. As seen on the card above, the the Zivy Fréres receipts and advertisements also include the mention of selling watches (common among most Egyptian jewelers at the time). I have seen examples of a Swiss-made pocket watch marked with the Zivy Fréres name and a travel clock manufactured in Switzerland (and marked with Zivy Fréres name as the distributor in Alexandria). A low-resolution photograph (published in 1901 in an unspecified source) of the storefront of Cesar Zivy’s (possibly one of the Zivy Fréres) watchmaker and jewellers’ shop in Cairo shows painted on the front window probable recognition awards from Paris and Alexandria. This suggests some manufacture in Paris, but I have not yet identified a French maker’s mark for Cesar Zivy (nor the form of his Egyptian manufacturer’s mark). A copy of that photo of Cesar Zivy's shopfront is shown as the final image in my post of 8 December, 2018 on the thread “Egypt Khedivate Judge’s Badge question” that I started on 17 November, 2016 in the Middle East & Arab States section of “Rest of the World: Medals & Militaria” here on GMIC. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves