News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Proposed Queens South Africa Medal

Good Morning Gentlemen and Ladies:

I was asked on a previous thread what was the rarest medal in my collection.

Well.........

Attached is a photo of the Proposed Queens South Africa Medal.

The "Proposed Medal for the South African War 1899-1902" is described in the Orders and Medals Publication the Journal and in Journal #15 - 1976, Spring Volume 1 (150), Page 12, and "Proposed Medal for the South African War 1899-1902 Some More Notes" in Journal #46 - 2007, March Volume 1 (274), Page 40. There are some photos with the article.

Since the article was published one more has been found that looks as if it possibly may have been made into a belt buckle.

For those of you who are not OMRS members and may ask to see a copy of the original article I am sorry but it was lost when my computer crashed and I lost a large amount of research information, I know I backed it up on a disk but where that is right now I am not sure.

Mike<BR clear=all>

Edited by QSAMIKE

Mike - a very special posting. I knew that a committee had been looking at suggestions but have never seen any pictures. Was this the only one that made it through to a 'mock-up' ? What about the reverse - did they complete both sides ?

I must in all honesty say that I am pleased they kept to traditional format - the 'Sheriff's Star' you show is not very attractive. However, thankyou for the opportunity to view. Mervyn

Mike - a very special posting. I knew that a committee had been looking at suggestions but have never seen any pictures. Was this the only one that made it through to a 'mock-up' ? What about the reverse - did they complete both sides ?

I must in all honesty say that I am pleased they kept to traditional format - the 'Sheriff's Star' you show is not very attractive. However, thankyou for the opportunity to view. Mervyn

Good Morning Mervyn.....

The reverse is smooth and not finished...... The star is silver, the "South Africa" ring is bronze and the Queen's head in the center is Gold..... One of the reasons that it was rejected was that it would be to expensive to produce..... I have seen a couple of pictures, drawings, from papers of the time, where a soldier is wearing the medal.....

It had been published in some papers that this was going to be the medal and the people incharge had given them drawings for publication complete with suspension and ribbon colours..... The suspension was very similar to the Kimberly Star.....

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

Wow ! That is a fantactic item.

I agree with Mervyn though and think the star might well have been peculiar at the time, but think what a collectors dream it would be if they went ahead with that design, along with all the bars! A very different medal indeed.

Thank you for putting it up Mike. I had honestly not heard of it before now.

regards

Thomas

• 4 weeks later...