Just a heads up that you can get details of the men of the 21st Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Force at Al Lloyd's fascinating website at http://21stbatallion.ca/ He has collected hundreds of photos of the men, their gravemarkers (GWGC and others) and a long list of biographies. There are also lots of photos and history of the battalion itself.
Also, Library and Archives Canada have published on line a number of the Service records in pdf format. It seems that if they get a request for a copy of the service record, they take that opportunity to scan the file to pdf.
Sarge

Just a heads up that you can get details of the men of the 21st Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Force at Al Lloyd's fascinating website at http://21stbatallion.ca/ He has collected hundreds of photos of the men, their gravemarkers (GWGC and others) and a long list of biographies. There are also lots of photos and history of the battalion itself.

Also, Library and Archives Canada have published on line a number of the Service records in pdf format. It seems that if they get a request for a copy of the service record, they take that opportunity to scan the file to pdf.

Sarge

Sarge

Welcome to the GMIC!

He's right, gwentleman, the 21sters have done tremendous work - absolutely amazing how much info. a diligent bunch of people can pull together from that far back, mostly by countless hours poring over old paper. The site is well worth a visit for anyone with interests in WWI.

Peter

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Blog Comments

• Brian, Thanks for initiating this discussion. For me, it’s a combination of the thrill of the chase, the history behind the item, and the aesthetics, although this latter factor may seem a bit strange to some. To illustrate this, the very first thing I collected as a kid in the 1950’s was a Belgian WW1 medal, for service in 1914-18, which is bell shaped, with a very striking profile of a very dignified soldier, wearing an Adrian helmet which bears a laurel wreath. It was the image that
    • Thank you for sharing your story, it was most interesting and greatly appreciated, it makes this blog well worth the time to post. Regards Brian  
    • Hello I started collecting when I found my first Mauser cartridges in a field next to my parents' house next to Armentières. I was eight years old.  Then shrapnel, schrapnell balls, darts... That's how I became a historian. When I was 18, we used to walk through the fields with a metal detector to find our happiness. It was my time in the army as a research-writer in a research centre that made me love the orders of chivalry. I've been collecting them for 24 years now. Christophe
    • Thank you for your most interesting comment. The thrill of the chase didn't interest me in the beginning but over time it started to overshadow the act of simply adding yet another medal or group to the collection. Regards Brian  
    • I know the way I got into collecting is like so many other people; through a sibling. I also know that my love of history is barely unique in a place like this. So I know I have a shared background with many people. A less shared area - perhaps - is that I've always loved the thrill of the chase. When I decide I want, say, a 1914 trio with an original bar, to a cavalry unit, the utter thrill of getting out there and, (a) finding groups that fit the criteria and, (b) comparing them re: ranks, uni