News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lithuanian Award

Hi Gents...I just wanted to show you one of my Christmas presents..Under the tree i found this Medal of the Order of Grand duke Gediminas third class in bronze...The best part is the original presentation document that came with it...The document is named to Kazys Merkis and dated Feb. 15 1932 and is #159...

So... explain this to me....

Does the wife walk into Eatons and see something on the shelves... she walks up and says "Wow! This is a nice Medal of the Order of Grand duke Gediminas third class in bronze! I bet Andy will like it! I will buy it as an XMas suprise!"

or do you buy it and say

"Here... one of my presents, wrap it so i dont see what it is!"

:D

i don't collect lithuanian awards, but the artwork on the documents and the "uncommon" design of their awards is fascinating!

and i think this is the reason why i have 4 or 5 books about lithuanian medals in my shelf - and they are GREAT!!!!!!

christian

ps: the document is, at least in my opinion, one of the best in artwork and design of the time it was issued

• 2 months later...

Ther is a good book "For Merits to Lithuania" from Vilius Kavaliauskas. I sow this mans collection in Brussels a few years ago, it is impressif.

see his website Kavaliauskas

and you van see here the beautiful order of Vytis that belonged to King Albert I of Belgium ans exposed in the Royal Army Museum in Brussels

Order of Vytis of King Albert I

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Very nice medal and with the document to boot. Good for you!

I collect Lithuanian. :love: But you know that already ;)

I managed to pick up seven new Lithuanian award documents at the SOS this past February. One is a posthumous Vytis Kryzius award to a Partisan. Very hard to find.

All the best,

Tony

Edited by Tony J

I've seen that site before Tony...It amazes me what the Partisans went through after WW2 in Lithuania...

Any chance of seeing those medals you picked up at the SOS...???? :jumping:

I forgot to add this interesting link on Lithuanian partisans. It's called Heavy Metal in Lithuania, 1940-1965.

http://members.fortunecity.com/heavy-metal-lt/index.html

Enjoy!

Tony