News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Navy Cross, Silver Star - Opinions?

Hugh

The widow of a dear friend has just given me these medals. I've been collecting for 50 years, but never US. I'd love to get opinions on these medals including authenticity and period of manufacture / issue. I'll follow the overall image with closeups.

I have no indication that these were a group; indeed, the oak leaf cluster on the Silver Star shows that they couldn't have been. I suspect he just got each of them singly.

Looking forward to your comments.

Judging by the pad in the case and the crimp brooch LI-GI marked, I would say the Navy Cross is 70s at least , if not 1980s. I cant tell the SS without the reverse, but I would guess the same.

Tony

Thanks to all of you for these comments. Just to clarify, I have no idea whether the box came with any of the medals. Unfortunately, Don's collection was not documented. Similarly, I have no idea whether the minis are related to the full sized medals.

I do know that he collected over a fairly short period of time, from about 1978 to the mid-'80's at the latest. Looking at Scotplen's post:

Navy cross Post wwii 1970-1980s

SS wwii era

I interpret that to mean that the medals were produced anywhere from World War II up to the mid '80's. (I'd love to know what specifically about the brooch tells you that, and what the preceding and following brooches look like, and when introduced.) Because of the period of his collection activity, together with the unlikelihood that he was able to obtain them within a year or two after award, I suspect they are WW II, Korea or Viet Nam pieces. (The brooches look just like my own medals, which date from Cuban Missile Crisis, Viet Nam era.)

Can anyone tell me when Navy stopped issuing the darker bronze (Black Widow) version of the Navy Cross? Also, since it now appears that I have become a collector of US medals, can someone recommend some good references for me. I already have Werlich and a couple of editions of Dorling, but all my other reference material is Euro- or Asian focused.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Hugh

Were such high medals normally engraved with the awardee's name and date?

Neither of my medals is engraved, but the Silver Star and Bronze Star were often engraved. The complex curves of the reverse of the Navy Cross would make engraving difficult.

Well, I guess I'm now a US collector. Whilst wandering through an antiques mall with my wife, I chanced upon two more US medals. (Serves her right) They're interesting: a Navy DSM and Army DSM, mint condition, in Graco boxes. The seller identified them as '80's reissues. The pictures won't show it but the strikes are very good, fully equal to my own issued medals. The prices were very good, so I struck while the iron was hot. Did I get burned?

First, the Navy DSM

Hugh

Another question - Does the LI - GI on the brooch identify a maker? If so, who?

Thanks,

Hugh

Yes - All Government certified US Medal producers have codes. Here are a few: Wolfe Brown, and/or W-22; Vanguard and/or V-21-N; Graco-G1 and/or G27-G1. Graco started producing the California State National Guard / Air Guard 10 year Service medals in the late 1990's early 2000's. I do not know when Graco started producing military medals. His Lordship Products has "HLP". I have not gown in depth on makers, except my article on the California 10 year Service Medal. See: http://www.militarymuseum.org/CASM.html Cheers Captain George Albert