Boris

Austrian WWI Long Service Awards

Thanks again guys! I wanted to respond sooner but I am still waiting to hear whether or not my order has been accepted on this one.

Tim

Okay, I did get it and will post some good PIC's once it arrives.

Many thanks to everyone here for the information and confirmation that the hook & eye was legit. If there are differences between the large and small eagle versions and reverses with/without mother of pearl, I'm sure I'll be adding to this one as time progresses. Afterall, can't have it sitting there all by itself...2014.gif

Now, be prepared for some questions.tongue.gif

Timbeer.gif

Here's another one that I found browsing today. Interesting suspension type.

Tim

And I even found a cased one that is custom made from solid gold!love.gif

Tim beer.gif

Dear Tim,

the two fine pieces shown in pictures are 2 Militärdienstzeichen für Offiziere for 25 years service: the first, of the type introduced in 1849; the second, gold-made piece is also very interesting, dated to the end of 19th Century, early 20th. Is there any dedication on the reverse or on the case's lid?

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Edited by Elmar Lang

Hello Elmar,

Yes, there is a dedication on the reverse and if I remember correctly the case was marked with something as well. For some reason, the site sales PIC's do not cycle correctly to show enlargements of anything but the obverse PIC unfortunately. I can try to find them again if you are interested?

Regards,

Tim

Hello Tim,

of course I am interested to see which dedication would have been put on the reverse of that MDZ cross and on the case's lid: it's what "makes the difference" amongst two similar pieces!

Elmar Lang

Hello Elmar and Tim,

maybe I can help with better pictures, as gold MDZ is from my collection;

case, which is not a standard one, doesn't have any dedications or markings.

Elmar, you're correct, cross is from beginning of 20th century, 1907;

Hello Elmar and Tim,

maybe I can help with better pictures, as gold MDZ is from my collection;

case, which is not a standard one, doesn't have any dedications or markings.

Hello bovec1313,

Is that the same exact cross? It appears to be but, I am trying to find the site I found it on yesterday and haven't found it again just yet. Thought I saved it but will look again today. Perhaps it was your site or a past sale?

Beautiful piece!love.gif

Regards,

Tim

Reverse with dedication

Hi Pavel

Is the reverse done in pink gold. The color looks very different from the obverse or is it the lighting of the shot?

BTW that really is a fantastic piece. I have seen gold examples but not like that :cheers:

Sincerely

Brian

It likes is a gift from the officers to his regimental comrades. The inscription engraved type is not hand-made, it seems to be even printed previously to be assembled. It is a nice gesture, I don't know if was usual in this army, this decoration is suitable more than others to be issued as a gift.

Un saludo

Hello Tim,

yes, cross was on my www site, with all 4 pictures; but due some technical difficulties moving site from one provider to another it seems 3 pictures has gone. Sorry for that.

Hi Brian;

you're right, gold is more pink on reverse; I've got an explanation from my collecgue collector, who is goldsmith by profession. He said me that after engraving revesre was normally polished and

when polished 18 carat gold got more pink color. It's definitely not a lightning.

Hi Boris,

In K.u.K. army such gifts of privately made decoratios were quite common and fashionable; Military Service Crosses were in many cases donated as a gift of fellow officers to theirs colleague. The reason why these crosses were most common is that they were the most widely bestowed decoration, as every officer got it after 25 years of service. Until the outbreak of the war in 1914, K.u.K. army was very short with bestowed decoration to officers. It was a kind of rule that after 3 years of sucessfull commanding of a batallion (usual a rank of major) a MVK was bestowed, fro 3 years of sucessfull commanding of a regiment (oberst) a Iron Crown Class III was decorated and after 3 years for brigade or division (generamajor) a Ritter of a Order of Leopold was awarded. On pictures of officers from that time you can hardly see any other decorations that service crosses and commemorative medals (1898 and 1908). Wording was always almost identical.

Dedications were in use during WW1 as well, and these decorations are for my oppinion very interesting. In addition to 6 other examples form my collection, I have as well Signum laudis and Silver Cross for Merits with Crown with decoration. I've seen a very interesting example (I'm still sorry that I haven't bought it many years ago, but it was very expensive), Iron Crown Class III with dedication on reverse of the iron crown, dedicated to an oberlautnant from ''DEINE MUTTI'', from his mother. I had an opportunity to observe two Orders of Leopold (Ritter), awarded to hauptmann Adolf Killar in 1918; one was official award pieces; a horrible product of very low quality. The other one was presented to Killar by fellow officers, an example of extraoridinary quality. Cross don't have any dedication, only box has fixed a gilded plate with usual wording.

Hello, thanks for the very interesting explanation about the KuK habits in decorations, a so long historical life army had to have a lot of own habits like those. I think the distinguished-looking of the officers, sub-officers and men is his special feature. Not only the uniform cut out. I mean there is something more... elegance

but not stiffness.

About the pink gold colour maybe is too an artistic combination of metals in the cross obverse-reverse. It is possible to get differents shades of yellow with the amount of gold, silver,cupper is used to make the piece stronger(because gold is too soft). And continue being 18 Kt. Gold, that is not pure gold, it means that have 750 of gold from thousandth of allow. Only in modern gold coins you can find more than 750 of thousandth. It is possible even 14 Kts. and it would be considered gold. Of course that the yellow have to be normaly the main colour.

Un saludo

Hello Boris,

you showed us a very good range of the k.u.k. medals.

Thanks for that eyecandy.

Best regards

Elvis

Edited by Elvis

Beautiful crosses!

Bovec1313,

Thanks for clarification on the solid gold one being yours. It's listed as for sale (POR), are you sure you want to sell such a nice one?

I got thinking about the rose colored reverse and it's possible that the engraver used some chemical to fill in the engraving and it reacted with the gold and toned the surface color. Very nice all the same!

I hope to have the cross that I asked about earlier in tomorrow. It will be my first! cheers.gif

Tim

Hello Boris,

you showed us a very good range of the k.u.k. medals.

Thanks for that eyecandy.

Best regards

Elvis

Thanks Elvis, but I'm only the co-author. And not an expert about K.u.K medals, a little maybe now.

Un saludo

Beautiful crosses!

Bovec1313,

Thanks for clarification on the solid gold one being yours. It's listed as for sale (POR), are you sure you want to sell such a nice one?

I got thinking about the rose colored reverse and it's possible that the engraver used some chemical to fill in the engraving and it reacted with the gold and toned the surface color. Very nice all the same!

I hope to have the cross that I asked about earlier in tomorrow. It will be my first! cheers.gif

Tim

Hello Tim B

To make react gold with acids is not any easy. One of the reason to use this in jewelery is that d'ont produce allergy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_regia#Dissolving_gold

Un saludo

Hi Pavel

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on being rose colored. Truely a wonderful example :jumping: of a jeweler's talent.

Is there a seam ( border )between the arms where the two colors meet or are they blended together and only the very top layer of the reverse is pink?

I think the jeweler selected this rose color for contrast to make it more pleasing to the beholder.

Sincerely

Brian

Hi all,

Just thought I would post a couple of shots of the one I was asking about last week. These are a lot lighter in weight than expected but pretty decent in quality.

I assume sometime between 1890-1914; private purchase based on previous comments; small eagle version.

Enjoy! cheers.gif

Tim

Close-up of the eagle

Edited by Tim B

Beautiful mother of pearl. Hard to show the mutli-coloration but you can see how it is mated to the medal.

Tim