Boris

Austrian WWI Long Service Awards

post-5806-005955300 1293960123_thumb.jpg

Edited by Iver

..and here is a miniature of service cross for officers for 25 years of service...

Sluzobnykriz25mini1eezc.jpg

Sluzobnykriz25mini2hyz3.jpg

Sluzobnykriz25mini3a6j7.jpg

Here the latest of Long Service Crosses in my collection. Cross for 25 years with inscription on reverse side... Is it possible with the help of schematismus find the name of the officer? Thanks for help. Iver

Here the latest of Long Service Crosses in my collection. Cross for 25 years with inscription on reverse side... Is it possible with the help of schematismus find the name of the officer? Thanks for help. Iver

Hello Iver

Maybe you'll find something in those books:

Österreichischer Militär-Schematismus 1867-1918

Here the organisation that cover those years:

http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/%C3%96sterreichischer_Milit%C3%A4r-Schematismus

Regards

Edited by Boris

Boris: thanks for links, unfortunatly I dont have found anything that could help me to identify the owner... :(

An NCO's silver-gilt Long Service Cross for 12 years given by his Officers.

Loose translation

21 OKT

Thanks Recognition for Merit

for Service Officer Corps

Infantry Regiment N 6

1893 1905

Possible to put a name from the enlisted ranks?

..is it possible to send the photos in bigger resolution?

Hello Iver

Problems with the device, this might be a bit better.

Gents,

I would like to share with you some different types of reverses of the Service Crosses after 25 years of service from my collection.

fj-szolg-25-hata-egyben_www.kepfeltoltes

The first is the "usual" one. The second is made of silver with the appropriate hallmarks. The third one is enameled. The forth and the sixth ones are covered with "Perlmutt". The fifth one is covered with "Bein/Horn".

Regards,

cimbineus

Hi CIMBINEUS

That is a fine variety you have. Never have seen one made from horn :jumping: before. Just amazing the choice of exotic materials the jewelers carried in stock to offer their clients. Are the hallmarks for your silver cross located on the ribbon ring or between the cross of the arms? The 5th positioned example with a pearl backing is it actually the soldiers name on the 1st line? Thanks

Hi Yankee,

1.) Yes, the hallmark for the silver cross is on the Cross between the cross-arms. Have a look, please. This is the „Dianakopf”.

szolg-jel-femjel_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jp

2.) Yes, indeed, on the pearl backing of the 6th positioned example, in the second line there is the name of the officer, namely, Major Reményi from the 18th Honvéd Infantry Regiment.

3.) Since you had never seen before a horn backing, here are some closer views for you.

ti-25-csont-hata_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jp

ti-25-csont-hata-ferd-koz_www.kepfeltolt

Regards,

cimbineus

(P.S.: The military Long Service Medals are one of my favourite categories of decorations. I respect them deeply. Maybe, my 41 years 1 moth and 25 days long military service can be one reason for that…8e12b96d087ec7ce56313c229be3bf91.gif)

Hi CIMBINEUS

Many thanks for the detailed scans. Amazing how they thought to use horn and bone back in the day.

Your Hungarian dedicated cross is a marvel, never having seen one inscribed out of the German language & having the recipient's name.

I think your silver cross was made by Mayer which there should also be his mark between the arms. I noticed Rothe stamped their markings on the ribbon ring.

I comprised a list of metals and materials that were partially or competely used to manufacture the Long Service Cross.

Bronze

Zinc

Iron

Silver-Gilt

Gold

Turtle Shell

Bone :speechless1:

Enamel

Horn

Mother Of Pearl

Any correction or missed something feel free to add on.

BTW congratulations on your long service. Must have been an interesting experience to have been in the the Warsaw Pact and Nato.

Sincerely

Yankee

Hi Yankee,

Thanks for your kind words. No, I have nothing to add to your list of materials, perhaps, just one picture that illustrates everything you said in this respect.

In this picture you can find at least one example for each material you mentioned. All these Long Service Crosses are differet.

fj-szolgalatik-egyben_www.kepfeltoltes.h

Regards,

cimbineus

Hi Cimbineus

That is a surprise :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: never have seen so many crosses. Thought my eyes were playing tricks. Nice one :beer:

You were not joking when you said it was one of your favorite areas of collecting ;) Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely

Yankee

Hello Iver

Problems with the device, this might be a bit better.

Apologize for delay, this is way better

Gents,

I would like to share with you some different types of reverses of the Service Crosses after 25 years of service from my collection again, since my previous picture vanished.

25-evesek-hatoldal-egyben-GMIC 1100.jpg

The first is one of the "usual" types. The second and third are covered with "Perlmutt" or mother-of-perl. The fourth and fifth are enameled in quite different qualities. The sixth and eighth made of silver with the appropriate hallmarks. The seventh one is covered with "Bein/Horn" or simply bone.

Regards,

cimbineus

Iver,

It is nice, indeed, and the picture is excellent too.

Regards,

cimbineus

These Austrian decorations are always a pleasure to view, so beautiful and of a quality that is long ago lost.

Thanks for showing more of these!  :beer:

Tim