News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix de la Valeur

PKeating

Serge Soupize fought with the Colonial Infantry in WW2, Indo-China and Algeria. Judging by the photo taken inside what looks like a Ju52 transport plane, he qualified as a parachutist in the late 1940s. Sadly, the grouping of photos, medals and documents is not complete but the award document for the Croix de la Valeur complete with a photo of Sérgeant Chef Soupize receiving his CdV in Algiers in 1962 couldn't be passed up. He was already a holder of the Médaille Militaire, the Croix de Guerre 1939 with Bronze Star, the Croix de Guerre TOE with Bronze Star and the Croix du Combattant, and would be appointed Chévalier of the Order of Merit in 1972. Some of his medals, mounted as he would have worn them between Indo-China and Algeria, were included, along with a few in boxes. Sadly, his jump badge was not amongst the stuff found in an old suitcase.

Edited by PKeating

Parachute School, judging by the prewar-style jump helmets. This seems to be a Junkers Ju52, if my memory of the interior of these planes serves me correctly. So, while there is research to be done, it is possible that Serge Soupize, already a veteran of the NW Europe campaigns of 1944 and 1945 with the Croix de Guerre to his name, underwent parachute training in the late 1940s. Had he been a wartime para, he would probably have been trained by the British at Ringway. However, born on 14.8.1928, he was in all likelihood one of the young recruits to the Gaullist army as it swept across France.

There are also some 1940s photos of him in US Army kit as issued to various units of the Forces françaises libres as well as photos apparently taken on leave in France in the early 1950s in which he wears a greatcoat obscuring any unit insignia but sports a para beret and badge. In one of the portraits, Soupize seems to be wearing the regimental badge of the 6e Régiment parachutiste de l'infantérie de la marine or 6e RPIMa, which makes sense as he was decorated with the Médaille Militaire on 14.8.1958 and his certificate is dated 17.3.1959, the 6e RPIMa having been formed from the 6e Régiment de parachutistes coloniaux on 1.12.1958. The Croix de la Valeur Militaire document dated 1.7.1962 states that he had taken part in all of the 3e RPIMa operations since February 1961 so he must have transferred from the 6th Regiment, which left Algeria in 1961.

One can see the ribbons of the Médaille Militaire, CdG 1939, CdG TOE, CdC, Médaille Coloniale with Extreme-Orient clasp, 1939-1945 War Medal with the Libération and Allemagne clasps and two other ribbons, one of which seems to be the campaign medal for the Algerian War or «Maintien de l'Ordre» operation, as it was euphemistically described. The second-last ribbon looks like the Indo-China War medal with what seems to be an unofficial clasp. Perhaps someone can take a better guess. I will scan and enlarge it as soon as possible.

Anyway, this sort of citation is very seldom seen, a citation to a Senior Para NCO for Algeria, complete with a photo of the man having the medal pinned on. Now, who can show us some more?

PK

Edited by PKeating

Pretty good!

CITATION

à l’ordre de la Brigade

Ordre Général N° : 206, en date du: 11 Juin 1962, du Général de Brigade Le Masson, Commandant la Région Territoriale et le Corps d’Armée d’Alger.

Sergent-Chef SOUPIZE Serge

“Chef dépanneur de la Compagnie Portée a participé depuis Février 1961 à toutes les opérations de l’Unité et s’est acquis en ces circonstances l’admiration et la confiance de tous. Dans des conditions toujours difficiles et souvent périlleuses, se déplaçant sur des pistes peu sûres et souvent minées avec un retard parfois considérable sur le reste de l’Unité, a toujours réussi à ramener son matériel au complet. Par sa compétance et son travail acharné, a réussi à maintenir intact le potentiel matériel de la Compagnie en même temps qu’il présurait le moral de son personnel par son allant et sa gaité. A été la cheville ouvière de la bonne marche de l’Unité.

Cette Citation comporte l’attribution de la CROIX DE LA VALEUR MILITAIRE avec Étoile de Bronze.

Pour copie certifiée conforme:

à S.P. 86.031, le 1er Juillet 1962.

Le Colonel Cdt le 3me R.P.I.M.A.

Signed on behalf of the Colonel, who would have been, I think, Guy Le Borgne. The citation is A3. It really is pretty impressive, and filled out neatly in fountain pen with just one tiny error. Translation follows when I have a spare moment.

PK

Correction.

On examining a blow-up of the medals parade photo, Soupize is actually receiving the Médaille Militaire, which dates it to 1958. The print bears the stamp of an Algiers photographer on the back. This puts Soupize in the 6e RPC. The regimental badge he wears in the other photo is either 6e BCP or RCP. Hard to tell, no matter how much I blow it up.

PK

True. It would have been great had his other citations been there, along with his numbered jump badge. He may have lost the WW2 and Indo-China stuff himself at some point. Who knows? But it is still a wonderful grouping to rescue, such as it is.