News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mysterious green velvet collar tab?

Apologies for the repost (in another section), but I recently came across this curious collar tab, and I'm trying to figure out just what the heck it is. It dawned on me that it might just be something Freikorps related. Anyone recognize it?

I'm probably wrong about this but I'll take a guess... possibly a Volkssturm Zugführer (Section Leader) which was equivalent to a Leutnant who's collar tabs had two pips.

Just popped into my mind when I saw it... but again I'm probably wrong as I'm far from an expert.unsure.gif

Dancheers.gif

I'm probably wrong about this but I'll take a guess... possibly a Volkssturm Zugführer (Section Leader) which was equivalent to a Leutnant who's collar tabs had two pips.

I am no expert either, but I thought that the Volksturm used the black SS style tabs.

I am no expert either, but I thought that the Volksturm used the black SS style tabs.

You guys might be onto something. Perhaps this is a homemade example with a little creative license taken by whomever made it? The basic shape is reminiscent of Railway tab, so maybe the backing is recycled from one of them.

I believe Paul is correct but consider the conditions/situation at the time. Most of them didn't have anything but the armband and a weapon. Those that were lucky enough to have uniforms and held a position of rank in the Volkssturm may indeed have had to make due with whatever was on hand. I've seen examples where they simply put the pips through the material of the collar with no tabs.

It's just when I saw it that was what sprung into my mind. I checked Brian L. Davis book on badges and insignia and couldn't find anything closer.

Dancheers.gif

Always a possibility. Shame of it is I'll bet they didn't get any info to go along with them. Were the prices decent? If so you might want to consider grabbing them and keeping them all together.jumping.gifjumping.gif

Dancheers.gif

The seller knows very little about German militaria. He made mention of there being other items, but wasn't able to provide any more info.

I already got the items, and thankfully paid really good prices for them: $45 for the long service, $48 for the Iron Cross, and $22 for the tab.