News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Foreign Legion Medal Group

ralstona

• Replies 106
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice group!

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know the Norway Commemorative medal. Could you please post a picture?

This is what the Norwegian medal looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Medal_1940%E2%80%931945

• 2 years later...

Written confirmation of his fourregere a titre personnel.

It states:

"Sergent-Major Hauser, Ernest,

Of the 8th/1st Etranger

Has the right to wear the the fourregere individually in the colors of the croix de guerre T.O.E. for participation in the battles of:

Messifre - 17 September 1925

Ressaz - 7 October 1925

Soueida - 25 April 1926

Edited by ralstona

I.D. card from his time with the dockyard police in Oran, issued in 1939. He was chief of police until he resigned to join the 13th DBLE in 1940. After the war he continued with the police. He was on the last boat out of Algeria in 1962.

Edited by ralstona

Paul, still working on it :)

Bernhard, you had to be present at two battles where the unit won its fouragere. The CdG TOE had been created in 1921 so this was an early unit award of this cross. My GGF earned a personal CdG TOE (with a bronze star) in Syria in 1925 in addition to the right to permanently wear the unit fourragere.

Edited by ralstona

Nowdays you can apply after 4 years... but you have to be rectified (have your original name back) and have your tax returns for the 4 years you have served so far.... You end up getting it after 5 years...

Most guys screw up and apply to late, then they have to extend to get all the paperwork done before they leave....

I am trying to work out the date of this document. I originally thought Aout 11, 1927 was the date of the decree but now I think it is the date of the amended law he was granted citizenship under. If that is true then it had to have been after 1927 and before 1929 when he made Adjutant 1st class. 1928 would make sense because that would be 10 years after his initial enlistment. Could the requirement have been 10 years back then?

Another question... his naturalization doc lists his rank as Sergent-Chef. He does not list this in his dossier. In 1923 he made Sergent-Major and 1929 he made Adjutant 1st class. Is Sergent-Chef a true rank? Higher than Sargent-Major?

If you look back on the first page of this post, I attached the pages of his dossier. On the first page of it he lists his promotions. He has his 1923 promotion as Sergent-Major. Maybe a typo or a "local" term??? Not sure.

Hello.
    The rank of Sgt.-Major or Marechal des Logis-Major was certainly in use during 1951 - 1957 and often times but not always seen on administrative types.

Our Company sgt. major and platoon leader held the rank of Marechal des Logis-Major and a very good man he was ( M.d.L.Major Tabournel)

Bernhard H. Holst

• 1 year later...

Haven't posted in awhile.  I have been working on the article about him recently.  I just picked up a 2nd Edition of Bennett Doty's excellent memoir of his time with the Legion in Syria in 1925-26.  He was a legionnaire in the 29th Company of the 5th Battalion of the 4 REI.  My great-grandfather was a Sjt.Maj. with the 5th (Machine Gun) Company of the same unit (V/IV REI).  The V/IV REI became the 8/1 REI in 1926).  Doty's book recounts  the actions at Messefrie, Ressaz and Souieda.  My GGF was present for all of these.  Both Doty and my GGF won the right to wear the fouragerre (CdG -TOE) "a titre personal".  They both earned CdG TOEs personally as well (2 of the 110 awards of the CdG for action in Syria in 1925).  Doty's was for Ressaz.  My GGF's was for Messifre.  The book contains a picture of Doty "just after a skirmish" in Syria wearing a dirty khaki jacket with "4" collar patches and a Casque Coloniale (Pain de Sucre).  I have a picture of my GGF in Syria wearing the same collar patches and the same helmet.  See pics.

Doty1.jpg

Doty2.jpg

Doty3.jpg