French Foreign Legion Medal Group

ralstona

I am also awaiting a copy of "Legion Etrangere a Narvik".  It is coming from France and was originally published in 1945.  I am hoping it may contain some specific details about my GGF.  I am desperately looking for the citation for his LOH for Norway 1940.  I do believe it was a combat citation.  If anyone has any leads, it would be most appreciated.  This is sadly one of the few pieces of paperwork that is missing from his archive.

Doty's book is a great read.  It is quoted extensively in Porch's history of the Legion.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful group you have got here, really amazing!

Which clasps to the WWII Commemorative Medal did he receive? I'm guessing; Angleterre, Norvège, Afrique and Liberation?

Which clasps is displayed on the Levant Medal, "Euphrate" and "Levant 1925-1926"?

I see he also received the Croix de Services Militaires Volontaires in silver and bronze, I believe this was a reserve medal?

Would this be a correct list of his medals? (what he would be eligible for at least)

1. Chevalier de Légion d'honneur

2. Médaille Militaire

3. Croix de guerre 1914-1918 (with bronze star)

4. Croix de guerre des TOE (with bronze star)

5. Croix de guerre 1939-1945 (with palm)

6. Croix du combattant volontaire 1914-1918

7. Croix du combattant

8. Croix des Services Militaires Volontaires (in silver and bronze)

9. Médaille commémorative de la guerre 1914-1918

10. Médaille interalliée 1914-1918

11. Médaille coloniale (with clasps "Maroc" and "Sahara")

12. Médaille de Syrie-Cilicie (with clasps "Euphrate" and "Levant 1925-1926")

13. Médaille commémorative de guerre 1939-1945 (with 4 clasps)

14. Insigne des blessés militaires

15. Chevalier de Ouissam Alaouite

16. Deltagermedaljen 1940-1945 (Norwegian WWII Service Medal)

On 9/27/2011 at 07:05, Veteran said:

This would be quite impossible since the FFL only existed during WW2

I rather doubt there would be an official list of members of the Forces Françaises Libres who were killed in action in WW2. You might like to try the Association des Français Libres. They probably have a website.

Best of luck.

Veteran

Thanks.

On 9/27/2011 at 09:29, Bernhard H.Holst said:

Hello : correction to the website address I posted above:

http://www.memoirede...efense.gouv.fr/

But it will not accept the entire website address which is ...memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/

Bernhard H. Holst

Thank you.

On 9/27/2011 at 07:05, Veteran said:

This would be quite impossible since the FFL only existed during WW2

I rather doubt there would be an official list of members of the Forces Françaises Libres who were killed in action in WW2. You might like to try the Association des Français Libres. They probably have a website.

Best of luck.

Veteran

Thanks again for your reply, but check this link out.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_French_Foreign_Legion

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It says he was entitled to 4 bars on his 1939-45 commemorative medal, do you know which ones? I can think of «Norvege» and «Liberation». Perhaps «Engage Volontaire?»

Which clasps feature on his Levant medal?

Edited by DanEMS

• 2 months later...