News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 months later...
    • Replies 101
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
    • 5 weeks later...

...and this is my one and only Assmann (early type, awarded 1938 ).

He, Gentlemen (particularly the Gentlemen Richard Gordon and John Temple-West), how did you manage the color correctness of your photographs (only daylight?) and the brilliant sharpness ? And what cameras do you use? Questions over questions, but with the quality of the photos shown here I must inquire...

Matthias

Matthias

Very nice Assmann you have posted. :cheers:

Thanks for the complements on the photography. I am no expert and use no special techniques! I take my photos in natural light near a large window (my back to the window so the badge receives as much light as possible) and use black velvet as my background.

My camera is an Olympus C-765 UltraZoom (4.0 Megapixels). I use a small tripod that I got from a local camera shop that cost ?10.

That's it! I take 4-5 pictures and vary the settings on each and hope for the best.

Regards

Rich

Hi Guys !

I can only agree with Richard . A tripod is very good to have , I have started to use my Old Manfrotto Tripod . It will give you a more stabile camera compared to hold it in hand , spec. if light is not the best . Also a remote controll for the Camera is great .

Jan Arne

Hi Matthias

As the guys say, a tripod is an important piece of kit for sharp images. The use of light is another important factor and I'm with Richard when it comes to the use of natural light.

I tend to use the 'macro' function on my Nikon 8700 and resize the image on photoshop.

Regarding the badge. A heavy 2nd pattern in very nice condition.

The thing that interests me is that you say that it was awarded in 1938. Do you have any documentation to go with the badge to confirm the qualification date? The reason I ask is that we know that Assmann were producing their 1st pattern badges up until 1938 and it would be nice to have a more precise time frame for the introduction of the 2nd pattern, as I think the consensus is that these 2nd pattern badges came out in 39-40 and the same type continued to be used (in various metals) throughout the war.

Below; Comparison between the early 1st (left) and wartime 2nd patterns.

Regarding the badge. A heavy 2nd pattern in very nice condition.

The thing that interests me is that you say that it was awarded in 1938. Do you have any documentation to go with the badge to confirm the qualification date? The reason I ask is that we know that Assmann were producing their 1st pattern badges up until 1938 and it would be nice to have a more precise time frame for the introduction of the 2nd pattern, as I think the consensus is that these 2nd pattern badges came out in 39-40 and the same type continued to be used (in various metals) throughout the war.

The associated award document is dated 21. December 1938 (I received the estate direcly from the family -as all my "3rd Reich" pieces, since now I bought not one 3rd Reich piece from any dealer...) the recipient died at an accident in 1940 and this was the only example he owned. If you are interested have a look at my homepage, there I present the piece and since now I can update the information about :-)

I think that thus your 39-40 theory for the 2nd pattern unfortunately somewhat crumble. So the change of pattern was in 1938.

I have learned a lot, thank you

Matthias

Matthias,

Looking at your additional pictures on your website, I notice some features that support the badge being early:

1. 'A' on the wreath not the eagle
    2. Space between the hinge ground out
    3. Rivets look aluminium (therefore I deduce the eagle is too)

I used to have one just like it but could not decide what timeframe this combination came in. Thanks to you, now I know. :D

Regards

Rich

P.S. You have a very nice website!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys !

Not so much about Flightbadges , but a bit about light .

As John write Daylight is the best to takes pics in .

But sometimes like here in Norway we dont have any good Day/ Sunlight , It is possible to use fotolight ,but I often use lighttubes .

Then it could be ok to now someting about lighttube codes .

The code is always first how many Watt ( old T8 tubes 18 , 36, 58 watt ( 18mm thick ), newer T5 ( 13 mm thick ) tubes have 29 , 49 , 80 watt ) , then comes a / , and so 3 numbers . ( do not use tubes with only 2 numbers ) .

First 800 series : first number indicate how good the coulor-representation /- reflection ( dont find the correct word in my Wordbook )is compared with sunlight , 8 in the codes means 80% coulor-representation of what You will se in sunlight .

Two last number is Kelvin : 830 means 80% of Colour- , and 3000 Kelvin ( yellow - white light ) . 840 is 4000 Kelvin . Thes higher Kelvin is , light getting more and more white . I use 840 tubes .

You can also find 900 serie tubes , with 90% Colour-. , kelvin code is the same as one 800 series .

And let the light be on about 5 minutes before start taking photos , tubes need some time to get warm and full light .

I know Osram has come with 880 and 980 tubes this is extremlly white light .

If You go to a shop and look a Tomato it looks very red and nice , if you take it out in daylight it looks different then it was inside the disc. The tube maker has made a spec. tubes for fruit- and meat discs . The light tubes is cheating you .

A little bit outside the tema , but hope someone can have use of it .

Jan Arne

Edited by Jan Arne S