French Croix de Guerre WWII - Cast

Les Anderson

Hello

Hoping someone can give me some information on a French WWII Croix de Guerre. The medal is dated 1939 (with large numbers) and appears to be cast as opposed to being stamp.

I understand that the large numbers used for the year date indicates an unofficial reverses, often local 'in theatre' manufacture.

Were some of the unofficial medals cast or should I be worried about the medal?

Regards Les

Hello

Hoping someone can give me some information on a French WWII Croix de Guerre. The medal is dated 1939 (with large numbers) and appears to be cast as opposed to being stamp.

I understand that the large numbers used for the year date indicates an unofficial reverses, often local 'in theatre' manufacture.

Were some of the unofficial medals cast or should I be worried about the medal?

Regards Les

Photo of obverse

Looks like a nice example of a locally-produced 1939 CdG to me, quite typical of crosses made in the French colonies. Many of them were certainly cast. I have seen large format 1939 and 1939-1940 dates on struck crosses, most likely made in major colonial cities like Algiers and Saigon. The 1939 CdG was the only official Republican issue, although the postwar 1939-1945 crosses have come to be seen as official even though they aren't. While this cross was not produced by the Paris mint, it is 'official' in that it conforms to official guidelines despite its artisanal appearance.

PK

Textbook. Looks to be period as well. Or, at least, closer to the period than most of the crosses offered by dealers, which are sourced from French wholesalers today. Perfectly genuine, to all intents and purposes, except those of collectors.

PK