Cannon Cross (Austrian Army cross, 1813-1814)

As a newbie to this forum (and site), I just wanted to say hello and to share a medal bought very recently.... the Austrian Army Cross 1813-1814 (aka Cannon Cross).

I am trying to collect (as funds and time allow!) all the medals associated with the Peninsular Wars (and particularly Waterloo) having long had an interest in the subject area - it just seems a natural extension. I don't have any depth of knowledge with medal collecting and am very much 'learning as I go'....so any any information/advice you might have would be gratefully received.

Does anyone know where I might get a ribbon for this medal (I tried and failed with the main ribbon suppliers that come up in google searches)?

Anyway - I'm sure you will know more than me, but here's what I do know about the medal I have:

• Dates to the Hapsburg Monarchy 1814 - Emperor Francis I instituted the cross for the victory over Napoleon;
  • 27mm diameter;
  • Made of forged brass;
  • It is lacking the green enamel on both faces;
  • It has the official 'hallmark' stamped onto the top of the suspension loop - a double eagle in a diamond;
  • Has a thin grooved suspension ring (I believe that there were 3 types of suspension ring - thick grooved, plain and thin grooved).

hallmark.jpgside2.jpgside1.jpg

Edited by Monkey

Welcome aboard :cheers: Here's hoping your stay will be a pleasant one.

Classy cross. :jumping: Although it lacks the splendor of many other awards or the simple elegance of the Iron Cross It's one of my favorites. As far as I know it's the only Austrian award made "aus erorbetem Geschütz", i.e. captured cannon.

You've picked a tough area to collect. The awards aren't as easily found as those from later wars and almost 200 years' attrition has turned many ribbons to dust. Have you tried the OMSA ribbon bank?

Welcome aboard :cheers: Here's hoping your stay will be a pleasant one.

Classy cross. :jumping: Although it lacks the splendor of many other awards or the simple elegance of the Iron Cross It's one of my favorites. As far as I know it's the only Austrian award made "aus erorbetem Geschütz", i.e. captured cannon.

You've picked a tough area to collect. The awards aren't as easily found as those from later wars and almost 200 years' attrition has turned many ribbons to dust. Have you tried the OMSA ribbon bank?

Hi, many thanks for the warm welcome and for the helpful info...I agree...I like this cross too and would really like to see it with the right ribbon. I haven't tried the OMSA ribbon bank - just googled it and see you have to be a paid up member...I am UK based, but will have a look tomorrow when I am a little fresher (its 3.45 am here and I should be tucked up!). Thanks again, Owen

Hello,

for example, my piece with original ribbon and good green paint.

I only know the the kind of suspension which by mine and yours, it is very dangerous to bend the suspension it will be easily break.

For the correctness, also the medal "denmark campaign" 1864 was made off "eroberte Geschütze", but there not on all pieces the inscription

on the edge.

Trakkles

Edited by trakkles

Hello,

for example, my piece with original ribbon and good green paint.

I only know the the kind of suspension which by mine and yours, it is very dangerous to bend the suspension it will be easily break.

For the correctness, also the medal "denmark campaign" 1864 was made off "eroberte Geschütze", but there not on all pieces the inscription

on the edge.

Trakkles

Wow! It is great to see the medal in the condition it should be and with the original ribbon...thank you for sharing the picture. I hear what you say about the suspension - it does seem fragile.

Hello,

the Metallenes Armeekreuz (a.k.a. Kanonenkreuz; it also had an official italian name as "Croce Metallica d'Armata"), is a fascinating decoration, especially when we find an "adapted" piece or when we find a named one.

As a matter of interest, I would like to post the link to a topic from a couple of years ago http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27784 regarding a prototype of this award.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Hello,

the Metallenes Armeekreuz (a.k.a. Kanonenkreuz; it also had an official italian name as "Croce Metallica d'Armata"), is a fascinating decoration, especially when we find an "adapted" piece or when we find a named one.

As a matter of interest, I would like to post the link to a topic from a couple of years ago http://gmic.co.uk/in...showtopic=27784 regarding a prototype of this award.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Thanks Elmar, this is very interesting...