News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"Condor Legion" Wound Badge

Gordon Williamson

mike-

as it happens, i will be spending several days

with dr. hamelman in early february. we will

be meeting with rex reddick, and hopefully

may consider a re-issue of his WB book with

better pictures. keep your fingers srossed!

as to the correctness of his book, there is

such precious little info... his sources are the

likes of dr. kleitman and literally hundreds

of veterans/medal collectors/curators. i think

about as scientific as it may get...

i'll keep you posted.

joe

mike-

as it happens, i will be spending several days

with dr. hamelman in early february. we will

be meeting with rex reddick, and hopefully

may consider a re-issue of his WB book with

better pictures. keep your fingers srossed!

as to the correctness of his book, there is

such precious little info... his sources are the

likes of dr. kleitman and literally hundreds

of veterans/medal collectors/curators. i think

about as scientific as it may get...

i'll keep you posted.

joe

Joe,

Thanks for the update.

It's not that I doubt Dr. Hamelman, I'm just trying to research the true Condor WB's further with the view to getting a definitive details on the Condor WB's. To this end I'm seeking further information from other parties that corroborate Dr. Hamelmans findings; knowing the exact source or Dr. Hamelmans information also helps towards this, also pinpointing the exact maker of Condor WBs would be a massive step forward.

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...

Dear Friends:

As you must know, I registered also in others Forums. A shipmate of WW2F, answer me of a Badge in: Wound Badge of Condor Legion

From Finnish net auction.

legioncondoriz0.jpg

Is this the Black wound badge for the "Spaniards"?

Notice the WW1 helmet with the Swastika.

Thanx for any info!

Jan.

Edited by Jan7

Dear Friends:

As you must know, I registered also in others Forums. A shipmate of WW2F, answer me of a Badge in: Wound Badge of Condor Legion

Jan.

Hello Jan,

It is purporting to be a German Third Reich "type 1" wound badge (also referred to as "Condor" - although this is not in my eyes strictly an accurate term as these WB's were also issued to those wounded in the second world war). To be sure as to wehether it is authentic - can you post a picture of the rear?

Best Regards,

Mike

Edited by Fugpaw

Hello Jan,

It is purporting to be a German Third Reich "type 1" wound badge (also referred to as "Condor" - although this is not in my eyes strictly an accurate term as these WB's were also issued to those wounded in the second world war). To be sure as to wehether it is authentic - can you post a picture of the rear?

Best Regards,

Mike

Thanks, Mike for your help!. I will transmitt your word for my friend and will let him for more details of this auction.

Jan.

you guys may want to go up to the imperial iron cross section and check out the 'stone minty fresh ek' thread

Thanks, Eric. I go to your indicate section and read it carefully..... :lol:

Jan.

Guest Rick Research

Lost track of this this in the enormous pile of a friend's treasures that came to visit and be Epsonized a couple of weeks back. I'd guess this was once a black that has been "cleaned" down to the brass base metal?

This is what I guess could be called the Really Big Swastika Type, since it covers most of the Frankenstein lug of the Imperial pattern helmet. Just like the one posted by Don in posts 13 and 14.

What is the usual metal most of these of the 3 classes are made out of-- brass, or steel?

Lost track of this this in the enormous pile of a friend's treasures that came to visit and be Epsonized a couple of weeks back. I'd guess this was once a black that has been "cleaned" down to the brass base metal?

This is what I guess could be called the Really Big Swastika Type, since it covers most of the Frankenstein lug of the Imperial pattern helmet. Just like the one posted by Don in posts 13 and 14.

What is the usual metal most of these of the 3 classes are made out of-- brass, or steel?

I'm not sure it was "cleaned", it just looks like wear and tear over the years have taken their toll on the black finnish.

Mike

• 1 year later...
    • 13 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but would anyone interested in the German 1939 first-pattern/Legion Condor wound badge like to help determine when such wound badges were actually awarded to Germans wounded in Spain? If so, please see/comment in the post below . . .

Earliest Award of the 1939 Wound Badge?

https://gmic.co.uk/topic/81224-earliest-award-of-the-1939-wound-badge/#comment-721903