News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I would be very interested to hear if any members have any of the below awards in their collection. These are post-independence pre-republic awards that were in use between 1970 and 1987 (or thereabouts).

Fiji Police Medal for Meritorious Service

Fiji Police Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

Both were established 15 May 1972 and replaced (by the Fiji Police Medal and Fiji Police Long Service Medal respectively) on 8 March 1995.

Unfortunately although I know the ribbon colours I have no pictures of these :(

The use of Commonwealth awards effectively ceased upon the declaration of republic in September 1987 and there appears to have been no system in place until 1995. One would imagine medals to be low priority during that turbulent period. Interestingly, whilst the RFP dropped the 'Royal' prefix, it retained the crown on its badge. Fiji is also unusual in that it continues to utilise the union flag in the quarter - the only republic to do so.

Edited by Tony Farrell

• 5 years later...

Whilst I can't comment in respect of the medal, I can tell you that there has been no concerted effort to cease wearing insignia which features the title "Royal Fiji Police". According to the force itself, cap badges bearing both Royal and non-Royal titles continue to be worn. Apparently, they issue and re-issue whatever is available in the stores.

Dave. 

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Hello Tony & others members.

I have never had the chance to go to visit Fiji (yet). But I have been able to grab this photo of a Fiji Police Medal Group (sadly it's in black & white). It was sold in Melbourne in the 1990ies.

The last medal at right hand side is the Fiji independence Medal.

Best regards.

Emmanuel

Fiji Police Group Medal - Gallantry  MSM LSGC Independance Lot 6110 Noble Auction Sale 58 ! to 10 July 1998.jpg

• 10 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen,

This is a recent photo of a Fiji Police Group.

The 1st Medal at left is Fiji Police Medal (instituted in 1995), The 2nd Medal is Fiji General Service Medal (instituted in 1992), The 3rd Medal is Fiji Police Overseas Service Medal (instituted in 1995)., The 4th & 5th Medal are UN Medals, The 6th Medals might be a Singapore Police Medal, the 7th & last Medal is the Republic of Fiji Medal.

The 2nd photo is the reverse of the GSM

If anyone up there has Fiji Group or Single Medal for sale, I would be very happy to buy.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Fiji Police Group.png

Fiji General Service Medal reverse.jpg

Its interesting to note that the tunic button which can just be seen to the top left of the medals appears to be that of the old British Colonial Police Service. Crossed batons surmounted by the Crown. The whole surrounded by a wreath of laurels with a scroll below reading "Salus Populi". Fiji certainly appears to be a very confused Nation insofar as it seems to cling, quite deliberately to its British Colonial past. Union Jack forms part of its flag, the Queen's Crown still is shown on the rank insignia of the police (plus its force badge) and its military. It does not really know whether its staying, coming or going!

Dave.   

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Two comments.  One, given the distance to suppliers - Australia or UK, I suspect - and the cost of replacing insignia, buttons and other appointments, plus the well know parsimonious nature of Quarter Masters, it should be no surprise that the Fijian Police continue to wear a mix of Royal and non-Royal badging.

Two, on the subject of the Police medals including gallantry and UN service: Fiji had at one point, with Canada and Eire, the proud distinction of having personnel serve in every single UN sanctioned peacekeeping mission.  I don't know if this is still true but suspect that, given a military force of 2,500 regulars and 6,000 reservists and two battalions permanently tasked to peacekeeping - off island - there must be a number of police officers who have served with UN contingents over the years, either as Army reservists or as seconded police officers.

I'm sorry but I don't go along with the rather over simplistic theory as outlined in your first paragraph. Fiji achieved independence from the UK in 1970 - 48 years (nearly half a century) ago. I'm fairly certain that in the last 48 years they would have had a need to place orders for insignia, both for headdress and for rank insignia. Not on one, but almost certainly on many occasions. As far as I'm aware they have regular contact outside Fiji both by sea and air. They are certainly not isolated as you seem to be suggesting. They have a comprehensive range of post - independence medals which I suspect are manufactured outwith Fiji. So, no, I don't think this it is a supply or cost issue. There are other, perhaps, political reasons. They certainly are the only ex. colonial Republic that I know of that has not demonstrated its "divorce" from the UK by removing from its police and other disciplined services all vestiges of British colonialism.  I wonder why?

Dave. 

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Trade! Better off in the fold than outside!..and......Oh, there are still many Commonwealth republics with vestiges of ye olde British colonialism - names of ranks, uniform design, honours design and criteria, snobbishness of superiors, etc, etc. One could go on forever.....and some probably will.....

G.

Perhaps you would kindly supply me with a list of those (other than Fiji) that still display the Queen's Crown on the headdress insignia of their police and military and utilise the Queen's Crown as part of their rank insignia. Republic's I'm talking about, not Commonwealth countries where the Queen is still head of state. I look forward to hearing from you.

Dave.

"So, no, I don't think this it is a supply or cost issue. There are other, perhaps, political reasons. They certainly are the only ex. colonial Republic that I know of that has not demonstrated its "divorce" from the UK by removing from its police and other disciplined services all vestiges of British colonialism. "

Dave

You make a convincing argument.  And, yes, my initial response may have been simplistic.  No slight on Fiji or its people intended.  I too wonder why, other than 'its traditional' they may have chosen to retain the associations with the Crown.  Cheers.

Peter