News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 French Group Value?

Tim B

I have a friend that is offering me a small French group and I really don't know what kind of price something like this is worth. Any ideas?

I understand these bars are seldom seen and it's whats left of an original grouping to one man. There is no known history and I assume, either a lower ranking officer, or nco based on the LoH and CdG silver palm. Only three of the more common medals remain and unfortunately, the Legion of Honor is missing.

Does anyone else have any interest in it if I don't take it?

Tim cheers.gif

Hi Frank,

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines as individual pieces with no provenance. Based on current eBay prices, which can vary a bit, I thought along these lines:

Combattant Medal - $20.

Commemorative Medal - $20.

Croix de Guerre - $35. - $40. because of the silver palm.

No idea on the ribbon bar but, I wouldn't personally pay that much for it.

So, I personally don't want it, so if anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll put you in contact with the person.

Thanks Frank!cheers.gif

Tim

If you do buy it, it would be quite easy to reconstitute the complete set.

3rd Republic Knight of the LoH are easy to find and don't cost a lot.

Medals for wounds (older model) are also relatively easy to find.

The French model inter-allied victory medal is also easy to find and cheap.

If you do decide to go that way, might I suggest finding yourself some "pins & balls" for all of them? That's the mount you see on the commemorative medal at left, it really adds to the charm of an early French set.

Hi Frank!

Well, I have enough of the common medals already and really wouldn't want to add pieces to the group as I could never claim they were complete to each other as a group, kind of defeats the whole purpose. No big deal as I mostly collect singles anyway.

I am interested in finding some "pin & ball" suspension bars though as I have some nice singles that have been sewn at one point to hold them. Any suggestions, please let me know.

And of course, I am always on the lookout for another one of these:cool.gif

Tim

I am interested in finding some "pin & ball" suspension bars though as I have some nice singles that have been sewn at one point to hold them. Any suggestions, please let me know.

Go here: http://histoire-coll...m/catalog_5.htm

He's presently out of the 2, 3 and 4 medal "boules" but is selling single ribbons mounted on them at 4 EURO a pop... Which is practically what it would cost you without the ribbon anyway. Scroll down to 2/3 of the page, you can't miss them.

Edited by TacHel