News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Replica Dutch Medals

I am trying to replace the medals that were once on a British officers post-WW2 uniform. I have been able to track down everything except the Order of Oranje-Nassau 5th class (knight) with swords. The few examples of the order I have seen are the civilian variety. Is there a company in the Netherlands that produces a quality reproduction?

Thank you for your help,

Edmund

Hello Edmund,

Unfortunately there is no company officially reproducing the Orange Nassau medals. The Order of Orange Nassau, as well as other Dutch official orders, are invested by the crown and upon death of the recipient must be returned to the Chancellery of Dutch orders. If desired the family of the deceased can buy the medal. This is not cheap. The higher the grade, the higher the price.

About 60 to 70 % of the medals are returned. The remaining percentage is bought by the family, forgotten to be returned or simply went with the deceased in his coffin as his or her wishes were. A certain percentage of these medals reach the open market. What is also sold here are the extra medals bought by the recipients. They bought them in a few shops allowed by the government to sell them. One can only buy such a medal upon showing your official medal certificate. Even if you want to buy a spare campaign medal you must show your award certificate.

Fortunately there is ebay and the Dutch marketsite Marktplaats (www.marktplaats.nl). At marktplaats in the directory 'militaria' everyday a few Dutch orders are for sale. They don't come cheap, especially the scarce ones, but in the end you have an original medal.

In your case a Knight in the Order of Orange Nassau with the swords comes around EUR 200,-. The swords make it more expensive as this represents the military division of the order. Without the swords (the civil division) is more common.

Hope my answer has some value.

regards

Herman

Edited by Herman

Dear Herman,

Thank you so much. I remember as a child that the United States had a similiar official policy, which now no longer exists. Instead, we have people pretending to be veterans. EUR 200 is actually better that I would have guessed for such an award. Thank you for the auction site. Is Orde van Oranje-Nassau the correct term to search for in Dutch? Also, is there a company that sells the ribbon? Thank you again for your time.

Respectfully,

Edmund

Edmund,

at the marktplaats site just type in 'nassau' and all will show up. At the moment there is 1 knight with swords for sale but the vendor asks a berserk price (eur 390,-). Don't buy that one. This guy always asks the jackpot. He has some really nice stuff though ....... but it is really too much.

New ribbon can be bought at the dutch firm 'van wielik'. Their site is (www.vanwielik.com). They also sell the original decorations, ...... maybe as a foreigner and asking nicely........ one never knows....2014.gif

One thing with the latest sold ribbon of the Oranje Nassau by this firm. The orange center of the ribbon is really orange and not orangeyellow as the old ones issued in the 40s till 70s of the last century. Sadly i don't have any spare ribbon left for you.

And yes, your Dutch typing of the name of this order is perfect.

regards and good luck.

Herman

Herman,

Thank you for the two links. The one for eur 390 looks nice, but thanks for the cost warning. Van wielik implied that they did have the medal, but not the military version. I will continue to look.

Thanks,

Edmund

• 7 years later...

Dear Herman

In the book 'Het heeft hare majesteit behaagd' (ISBN 90-5911-169-9) published in 2004 there is an interview with the owner of the medalsupplier van Wielik who said this about buying awards : 'Iedereen die bij de firma Van Wielik aan de Haagse Kneuterdijk binnenstapt kan alle mogelijke onderscheidingen aanschaffen zolang er maar betaald word. '' Nee, wij vragen niet naar legitimatie of een oorkonde of iemand werkelijk koninklijk onderscheiden is. Dat is onze taak niet'' '. This translates to : 'Everyone who enters at the firm Van Wielik at the Kneuterdijk in the Hague can buy every possible award, as long as he or she pays. No, we don't ask for legitimation or an document or whether someone is indeed royally honoured. That is not our duty.' 

This book, albeit in Dutch gives great information about the dutch awards. Sadly it was published in 2004 due to which it might not be up-to-date with some awards.

Kind regards, Laurentius

On 07/08/2010 at 14:18, Herman said:

Hello Edmund,

Unfortunately there is no company officially reproducing the Orange Nassau medals. The Order of Orange Nassau, as well as other Dutch official orders, are invested by the crown and upon death of the recipient must be returned to the Chancellery of Dutch orders. If desired the family of the deceased can buy the medal. This is not cheap. The higher the grade, the higher the price.

About 60 to 70 % of the medals are returned. The remaining percentage is bought by the family, forgotten to be returned or simply went with the deceased in his coffin as his or her wishes were. A certain percentage of these medals reach the open market. What is also sold here are the extra medals bought by the recipients. They bought them in a few shops allowed by the government to sell them. One can only buy such a medal upon showing your official medal certificate. Even if you want to buy a spare campaign medal you must show your award certificate.

Fortunately there is ebay and the Dutch marketsite Marktplaats (www.marktplaats.nl). At marktplaats in the directory 'militaria' everyday a few Dutch orders are for sale. They don't come cheap, especially the scarce ones, but in the end you have an original medal.

In your case a Knight in the Order of Orange Nassau with the swords comes around EUR 200,-. The swords make it more expensive as this represents the military division of the order. Without the swords (the civil division) is more common.

Hope my answer has some value.

regards

Herman

Dear Feldjaeger.1

Yes, it would indeed be possible for you to buy a MWO 4 class. I would feel the need to inform you that you will get a newly made piece so the quality will sadly be lesser then those of a MWO awarded before WW1 for example. I do not know the price, but I would think it lies around 250 euros. The firm Van Wielik in the Hague has a website which you can visit, I'll add a link for you (of the english page, I doubt you speak dutch)

Kind regards, Laurentius

https://www.vanwielik.com/en.html

• 1 month later...

Dear fellow collectors

I can personally recommend Bovomed, they helped me in a very good and professional manner when I had my father's medal mounted there, and he went the extra mile to find a buttonhole award of his rare (for the Netherlands) Polish cross of merit.

Kind regards, Laurentius