News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One of my ribbon bars got name back!

Hi,

Here is one of my ribbon bars, what I have had almost 2 years now. Today Daniel confirmed owner of this set!beer.gif

Please meet Hauptmann Achill von Oertzen, born 1872. Served in Life Grenadier Regiment "King Frederick William III" (1st Brandenburgian) No. 8.

1601624505fb26_o.jpg

End of WW1 retired as a Oberstleutnant. Last assignment IR 157.

Peactime awards RAO4, KO4, Joh, RA3, MMV2 from Schwerin

and here is the bar

16016321a1de1f_l.jpg

Any information, entries, etc about him would be great!beer.gif

Thank you to Daniel!cheers.gif

Regards,

Timo aka Noor

Thanks Heiko so much! This one can't go even better!!!cheers.gif

First, Von Oertzen awards:

• Iron Cross 2nd Class (Eisernes Kreuz, II Klasse)
    • Military Merit Cross (Mecklenburg-Schwerin, II Klasse)
    • Hamburg Hanseatic Cross (Hanseatenkreuz)
    • Honour Cross for Combatants (Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer)
    • Order of the Red Eagle 4th Class (Roter Adlerorden, IV Klasse)
    • Order of the Crown 4th Class (Kronenorden, IV Klasse)
    • Kaiser Wilhelm I Centenary Medal, 1897 (Kaiser Wilhelm I Zentenarmedaille)
    • Long Service Cross (Dienstauszeichnungskreuz)
    • The South West African Campaign Medal, Steel (Südwest-Afrika Denkmünze)
    • Military Merit Cross 3rd Class (Militär-Verdienstkreuz, III Klasse)
    • Imperial Russia St.Anne 3rd Class

Now, I did some search on internet but not much turned up.... first at all about this unit, can someone please point out some good reading site or materials? Google just shows unit flags, etc... I am most interested what that unit (and Von Oertzen) did and was located during WW1?

Also I am not sure is Von Oertzen from Prussia or Schwerin? Some lists shows that there is nice amount of Oertzen's in Schwerin area and even in the Government:

(President of the State Ministry)

160422035490cd_o.jpg

Also what was very interesting - maybe some how relative as well?rolleyes.gifHans Ulrich von Oertzen (March 06, 1915 - July 21, 1944)

Hans Ulrich von Oertzen completed a general staff training course in the Wehrmacht in the mid-1930s, and was rapidly promoted during the Second World War. In 1943, as a major on the general staff and instructor (I d), he joined the staff of Army Group Center under Henning von Tresckow. Von Tresckow was looking for an opportunity to assassinate Hitler. Oertzen worked on the “Valkyrie” plans with Stauffenberg, the chief of staff in the General Army Office in Berlin, and served as liaison officer for military district III (Berlin) on the day of the coup attempt. On July 20, 1944, Hans Ulrich von Oertzen passed on the first “Valkyrie” orders. The day after the unsuccessful assassination attempt on Hitler he was interrogated in the Berlin military district command building by the officers working there. However, he was able to kill himself with an explosive shell before the Gestapo arrived.

and one more shot from internet... looks like the same man?

Achilles von Oertzen

Seconde Leutnant im Garde Schützen Bataillon, 1898

1604231949bf91_l.jpg

Edited by Noor

• 4 weeks later...
    • 9 months later...

A little late, but some additional information:

Achill Arthur Hermann Wilhelm Friedrich von Oertzen, was born on 12 June 1872 in Hamburg. He was married on 23 October 1909 to Ilse Karoline Luise Julie Erdmuthe von Kottwitz (7 June 1884). Achill was promoted to Major on 28 November 1914. His MMV2 was gazetted on 8 March 1915, although the actual award date was probably a little earlier.

His brother, Max Wilhelm Konrad von Oertzen, was born on 20 November 1877. In 1914 he was a Rittmeister and Adjutant of the 9. Kavallerie-Brigade. He is erroneously listed in Wegner's Stellenbesetzung der deutschen Heere 1915 bis 1939 as having commanded Kürassier-Regiment Nr. 4 at the end of the war. However, that was another Max, Maximilian Eduard Hugo von Oertzen, who in 1914 was a Major and Adjutant of the 3. Kavallerie-Inspektion.

Achill's and Max's parents were Hermann Arthur Friedrich von Oertzen (9 Dec 1844 - 8 Mar 1906), a Prussian Major, and Ernestine Wilhelmine Gräfin von und zu Westerholt und Gysenberg (4 Dec 1849 - ?).

Achill's nephew, Max's son Max-Friedrich von Oertzen, born 30 Oct 1909, was killed in action as a Hauptmann on 26 September 1942 near Voronezh. Max had another son, Joachim Ernst, born 23 June 1913, but I don't have any information on him. If Achill had any children, they were born after 1920.

As Colin suspected, Achill and Hans-Ulrich von Oertzen were not closely related. Achill was part of the house of Bagentz. Hans-Ulrich was from the house of Teschow. Those two houses' common ancestor would have been back in the 1600s.

And finally, Achill's uncle, Arwed Wilhelm von Oertzen (2 Aug 1843 - 3 Feb 1917), was commander of the 28. Division in 1898-1900. He was a Generalleutnant z.D. in 1914, but does not appear to have been recalled to active duty.

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Dave Danner

• 6 years later...

Here's another shot of him as Hauptmann in Garde-MG-Abt. 1 (Source: Hilsenbeck: Deutsche Offiziershelme, Volume 1)

Anyone know when he was in Southwest Africa? Can't find any clue in the Ranklists.

Gruß Stefan

Oertzen.jpg

Edited by IR 134

On 06/08/2010 at 00:35, Noor said:

Thanks Heiko so much! This one can't go even better!!!cheers.gif

First, Von Oertzen awards:

• Iron Cross 2nd Class (Eisernes Kreuz, II Klasse)
    • Military Merit Cross (Mecklenburg-Schwerin, II Klasse)
    • Hamburg Hanseatic Cross (Hanseatenkreuz)
    • Honour Cross for Combatants (Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer)
    • Order of the Red Eagle 4th Class (Roter Adlerorden, IV Klasse)
    • Order of the Crown 4th Class (Kronenorden, IV Klasse)
    • Kaiser Wilhelm I Centenary Medal, 1897 (Kaiser Wilhelm I Zentenarmedaille)
    • Long Service Cross (Dienstauszeichnungskreuz)
    • The South West African Campaign Medal, Steel (Südwest-Afrika Denkmünze)
    • Military Merit Cross 3rd Class (Militär-Verdienstkreuz, III Klasse)
    • Imperial Russia St.Anne 3rd Class

Hi Gents,

if he got the SWA Medal from Steel, he was not in South West.

Kind regards
    Andreas

Stefan,

According to the Stammliste for the Garde Schützen Batl.:

09.03.06-09.06.06   Führ. d. SWA Ers. Abtl. auf dem Tr.Üb.Pl. Döberitz

14.02.05-14.09.05   Führ. d. SWA Ers. Abtl. auf dem Tr.Üb.Pl. Döberitz

Andy